Sign in to follow this  

How to remove axle feet from wp forks?

Have acquired some gold lower fork tubes with some titanium nitrade something or other coating, but the feet use a different size spindle. I don't want to use that size I want to use my standard ones.

How do I take these off, ive heard very little info about it. Anyone tried? if someone could give me some help on how I go about it id be very greatful

71850_454337044632835_354516219_n.jpg

NO1 Say take them to the shop, I rather do it myself.

They are threaded together and have red loctite. Put the clamps in the vice and apply heat to the clamp. There are 2 holes 180 degrees apart just below the upper bushing. Insert a well fitting pin through the holes and unscrew the chromed pipe. The WP tool has a slug that fits into the inner pipe and the pin goes through to prevent distorting the steel pipe (WP tool PN# 1404S). You can home brew one by looking at the tool in this link:

crossroadz.com.au/F650GS/Modifications/Forks/ForkNotesWP.pdf

I personally would have a shop spin down a piece of bar stock to the right OD and drill two holes- one to pin into the leg and one for the breaker bar. Should be a cheap part at a local machine shop or a 6 pack of beer for a neighbor with a lathe.

Sounds do-able, ive heard that it has a thin layer of factory Loctite and its very strong stuff. Also that the threads are very thin and can be rounded out very easily.

I was thinking of using a oil filter strap to undo the tube and clamping the foot into a vice.

Will a hot air gun be enough heat or will I need a blowtorch?