06 rm 250 question

Think of it as "zero". Yes, it does have a larger (heavier) flywheel than previous models but you can buy a FWW for the '06 just as easily as the older (or newer) models.

Why do you ask?

i bought an 06 and went to put on a boysen ign cover and it would not fit right, got to looking and flywheel has a weight on it, so instead of running a spacer i would like to take it to a machine shop and cut it down where its 6-8 ounces over a stock ones weight.

i bought an 06 and went to put on a boysen ign cover and it would not fit right, got to looking and flywheel has a weight on it, so instead of running a spacer i would like to take it to a machine shop and cut it down where its 6-8 ounces over a stock ones weight.

So beyond the stock "riveted" FWW, you have an accessory FWW ~ correct? If so, then remove the accessory FWW, borrow some Play Dough from your younger sister (or buy some) and stick some of that to the stock flywheel and install the cover. Then remove the cover and measure the Play Dough thickness while it's still on the stock flywheel. You may find that you do not need to remove much from the accessory FWW to get it to fit. At the same time, Sthealy flywheel weights will sell you just the plastic spacer and then you will not have to machine anything (it might even be cheaper).

• Like 1

i guess you cant read the above conversation and neither can zig 06

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/42_(number)

I reread the thread and they responded to your question with other/better/more cost efficient ideas. You believe you have a FWW problem when you actually have an engine cover spacer problem. If you want to turn it down have the shop take off enough until the ill fitting cover fits... or buy an appropriate FWW for your desires.

Knowing the stock weight does little good. If you must know, ask a shop to look it up. Best of luck with your project. Let us know what you end up doing so we learn something.

Rhino

i guess you cant read the above conversation and neither can zig 06

Well, I took the short bus to school when I was younger, so forgive Me for being so stupid,,but don't try to tell Me that Zig is as dumb as Me,,,,He actually knows what He is talking about,, I have seen Him fix a lot of bikes over the web, without breaking a sweat,,,,just like Rhino, We are here to try to help,,,and hopefully We can,,,,,,so,,,,,,take that FWW off and weigh that bitch...............Dr.D..

Well, I took the short bus to school when I was younger, so forgive Me for being so stupid,,but don't try to tell Me that Zig is as dumb as Me,,,,He actually knows what He is talking about,, I have seen Him fix a lot of bikes over the web, without breaking a sweat,,,,just like Rhino, We are here to try to help,,,and hopefully We can,,,,,,so,,,,,,take that FWW off and weigh that bitch...............Dr.D..

the flywheel has a ring about 1/4 inch wide and 1/4 inch tall welded on it. I was just looking for the stock flywheel weight so i could have it cut down where it would be 6-8 ounces above the stock weight and so i would know just how much weight the previous owner had added. Who ever had the bike had ground on the inside of the ignition cover so it would clear the flywheel (so much they patched the hole they made with jb weld)and i installed a new boyseen cover and it would not fit, thats when i figured out what they had done. I also know you can run a plastic spacer behind the cover but thats not what i want.Thats why my original question was WHATS THE STOCK FLYWHEEL WEIGH and i get stupid answers like think of it as 0 or get playdough from your little sister (&%$#@!). As you can see the question wasnt stupid just some of the answers were. Maybe just because my status says im a newbie they think im a punk kid and didnt think hey this could be a 45 year old who has been around bikes and atv all his life.

the flywheel has a ring about 1/4 inch wide and 1/4 inch tall welded on it. I was just looking for the stock flywheel weight so i could have it cut down where it would be 6-8 ounces above the stock weight and so i would know just how much weight the previous owner had added. Who ever had the bike had ground on the inside of the ignition cover so it would clear the flywheel (so much they patched the hole they made with jb weld)and i installed a new boyseen cover and it would not fit, thats when i figured out what they had done. I also know you can run a plastic spacer behind the cover but thats not what i want.Thats why my original question was WHATS THE STOCK FLYWHEEL WEIGH and i get stupid answers like think of it as 0 or get playdough from your little sister (&%$#@!). As you can see the question wasnt stupid just some of the answers were. Maybe just because my status says im a newbie they think im a punk kid and didnt think hey this could be a 45 year old who has been around bikes and atv all his life.

Calm your roll ?

The ZERO weight comment was for when ordering or talking about FWW the stock flywheel is not figured in the calculation. So a 8oz FWW is 8 additional oz added. The silly putty is to check clearance trying to get it to fit.

What I can't grasp is why the heck you expect us to know your answer when you have the product in you possession If you want a magic 6-8oz number then take your weight off and weigh it to check (more trouble because it is welded)..... or contact a shop for the stock FW specs as that is something most here wouldn't know or care to know as the question 99% of the time is how much will I add. Hence the starting at zero comment. If you are turning it down just for clearance then it must be for aesthetics and not engine performance and you need to turn down the weight to fit the cover and then the silly putty would come in handy. Either way a plastic spacer will get you the clearance on your new cover with the least hassle and money. How do you like your bike now? Do you desire less FWW? What if you already do have a 6-8oz FWW?

Is there any markings on the weight? Someone here may be able to help you identify the FWW. Maybe a picture will help someone identify the approximate size of the weight you do have.

We are a bunch of good guys on this forum. If I had a stock FWW I would even be willing to take my '04 off and weigh it for you to give you an idea on your '06.

Calm your roll ?

The ZERO weight comment was for when ordering or talking about FWW the stock flywheel is not figured in the calculation. So a 8oz FWW is 8 additional oz added. The silly putty is to check clearance trying to get it to fit.

What I can't grasp is why the heck you expect us to know your answer when you have the product in you possession If you want a magic 6-8oz number then take your weight off and weigh it to check (more trouble because it is welded)..... or contact a shop for the stock FW specs as that is something most here wouldn't know or care to know as the question 99% of the time is how much will I add. Hence the starting at zero comment. If you are turning it down just for clearance then it must be for aesthetics and not engine performance and you need to turn down the weight to fit the cover and then the silly putty would come in handy. Either way a plastic spacer will get you the clearance on your new cover with the least hassle and money. How do you like your bike now? Do you desire less FWW? What if you already do have a 6-8oz FWW?

Is there any markings on the weight? Someone here may be able to help you identify the FWW. Maybe a picture will help someone identify the approximate size of the weight you do have.

We are a bunch of good guys on this forum. If I had a stock FWW I would even be willing to take my '04 off and weigh it for you to give you an idea on your '06.

I simply asked the question that i did thinking somebody would know the answer that way i could fix it the way i wanted to. I know what my problem is and that i have only 3-4 options on how to fix it. The flywheel has the ring welded on it (with no weight markings on it)so you cannot remove it unless you cut/grind it off which could throw it out of balance some, did not want to do that and i could put a spacer behind it but that puts the shifter up against the cover and i could bend the lever some to get more clearance but i did not want to do that so its either cut the flywheel down or grind the inside of the new cover(not gonna happen). Could by a new or used flywheel but cost $$. So my cheapest way costing me $0 due to having friends in low places was to cut it down/shave some off. I know i can weigh the flywheel now but that tells me absolutely nothing until i know the stock weight of the flywheel. Follow me here, if the stock flywheel weighs 20 oz and mine now weighs 30 oz i know that 10 oz has been added to my flywheel. The way it sits i have zero clearance to measure if i use the new cover and i plan on doing that. Now i know its not going to take much to get the clearance that i need so i thought if i could get the stock weight and subtract if from the current weight and i would try to cut it down leaving 4-8 oz over the stock flywheel weight if i had that much extra weight on the flywheel if not i would cut it down til it cleared. Now i no when you order a weight you order by how many oz you want to add but thats not anything that will help me on this situation. Sorry to be so rude but i did not realize the question would be so difficult to answer. Was just looking for somebody to say hey it weighs 20 oz, ok great thanks alot, end of discussion but instead i get silly replys on how to fix it etc. If nobody new for sure i thought i they might be able to point me in the right direction. I know i could have also called dealers etc, but i thought it would be really simple to maybe get the answer on here due to alot of knowledgable people here. Now not meaning to be rude again but when somebody post a question maybe we could JUST ANSWER THE QUESTION and not make it more difficult than it really is. By the way i may have fixed the problem, will know for sure when i install the flywheel. The welded on ring was 240 thou thick so had half machined off. So now the ring is 120 thick and i plan on taking to post office to weight it tommorrow then installing it, still will not know how much it is over the stock weight but!!!!

LMAO, nice tone....

Knowing the stock weight does you no good. What if you already have a 6-8oz added on there, what then? Your concern is clearance only, FINE! We get it...well I don't get it, but understand that is your sole narrow focus. For some reason you think the spacer will cause problems when it hasn't me or just about anyone else that has used it. So turn it down til it fits.... I don't see what the problem is... other than yourself.(<-see I can make inflammatory statements ? )

You know you can ask a shop but for some reason will not. You get snippy at others trying to help you out.

We get a lot of vague incomplete questions and have to make assumptions from time to time. It took you 4 posts to explain yourself and your situation sufficiently No one ever weighs their stock FWW, they just decide how much they want to add. That is why the question is not general knowledge in here. I truly think a call to the shop is in order so you can find out how much additional weight you have on when you are done turning it down to fit the cover.

Would still like to hear your report back of what works for you. What stock weight is so we all have an idea for the future. Hope you stick around Yamaha188. Ride on, brotha!

LMAO, nice tone....

Knowing the stock weight does you no good. What if you already have a 6-8oz added on there, what then? Your concern is clearance only, FINE! We get it...well I don't get it, but understand that is your sole narrow focus. For some reason you think the spacer will cause problems when it hasn't me or just about anyone else that has used it. So turn it down til it fits.... I don't see what the problem is... other than yourself.(<-see I can make inflammatory statements ? )

You know you can ask a shop but for some reason will not. You get snippy at others trying to help you out.

We get a lot of vague incomplete questions and have to make assumptions from time to time. It took you 4 posts to explain yourself and your situation sufficiently No one ever weighs their stock FWW, they just decide how much they want to add. That is why the question is not general knowledge in here. I truly think a call to the shop is in order so you can find out how much additional weight you have on when you are done turning it down to fit the cover.

Would still like to hear your report back of what works for you. What stock weight is so we all have an idea for the future. Hope you stick around Yamaha188. Ride on, brotha!

HOLY SHIT SORRY I EVEN POSTED THE SIMPLE QUESTION ON HERE. NOW I KNOW I SHOULD HAVE ASKED A ROCKET SCIENTIST, DOES ANYBODY HAVE AN E-MAIL ADDRESS TO NASA. Never said spacer hurts anything on bike or causes a problem, just my bike and i dont care to do it that way. No longer even have a suzuki dealer in my hometown and they probably couldnt answer the question either. i do have a phone but as stated above i can sit in my house at whatever time i want in my underwear scratching my nuts if i care to do so and post questions on here and usually get an answer. Now i dont see that the question was vague in any way, WHAT DOES A STOCK FLYWHEEL WEIGHT????? DIdnt ask for anybody to help solve a problem or what to do about anything. Just a simple question i thought but boy was i WRONG.

HOLY SHIT SORRY I EVEN POSTED THE SIMPLE QUESTION ON HERE. NOW I KNOW I SHOULD HAVE ASKED A ROCKET SCIENTIST, DOES ANYBODY HAVE AN E-MAIL ADDRESS TO NASA. Never said spacer hurts anything on bike or causes a problem, just my bike and i dont care to do it that way. No longer even have a suzuki dealer in my hometown and they probably couldnt answer the question either. i do have a phone but as stated above i can sit in my house at whatever time i want in my underwear scratching my nuts if i care to do so and post questions on here and usually get an answer. Now i dont see that the question was vague in any way, WHAT DOES A STOCK FLYWHEEL WEIGHT????? DIdnt ask for anybody to help solve a problem or what to do about anything. Just a simple question i thought but boy was i WRONG.

:D

Well, at least we know you have a short fuse.

Hey man, no hard feelings. We couldn't asnwer your complete and well stated question. If it was something easily identifable by taking mine off to weigh it I would. Like I said when you do find out the answer please report back so we can all know in case this question comes back again.

Try to be a little less defensive though. I bet we could all get along.

You'll never find the knowledge you seek with that attitude :lame:

well its obvious that the ones that have commented dont have the knowledge, but thanks to the guys at steahly off road it does exist.

So, you took our advice and went to a shop (granted, not Suzuki but an even better place) and asked them about it.

You're welcome. :D

What did the stock weight end up being, and how big of a FWW had the previous owner already added? Any pics of your bike? Glad you were able to figure stuff out.

Rhino