ENTER OUR GIVEAWAY!!! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

Looking into buying an '07 F250 Super Duty. Thoughts, comments? Any input is appreciated.

We have been looking into getting a full-size long bed truck for a while. We have some friends who have a 2007 Ford F250 Super Duty (not a diesel). It's a king cab work truck edition. They are the original owners. It has 57,000 miles on it. They are asking $10,500. The price is based on what the dealer is going to give them for the truck when they take delivery of a Raptor next month. The truck is in excellent condition and they have had no problems at all. We want the long bed b/c we want to be able to haul everything without having to get a trailer. It should easily fit our bikes. It's only my wife, 6yr old son, and me....with no other kids on the way (I'm too damn old for more kids).

I guess I am looking for input b/c over the last 20yrs I have owned two Toyota Tacomas. I am reluctant to go American b/c I've had such a good run with Toyota. The one I have now I purchased new in 2003. It's a great truck and I will probably cry when I have to sell it....but it's just too small for the three of us when we all go riding. Here's what it looks like when I have it all loaded (the boy no longer uses the training wheels :ride: ).

ridinginFeb2012015.jpg

Edited by WWalker

No....it's not the diesel. I will edit that in my post. Thanks!

There is no question the trucks arent good. I ran a few of the diesels and aside from the engine the truck was virtually problem free. Me personally, I'm not the biggest fan of the 5.4 or the V10 as I always felt the engine was a bit tiny for the truck. $11,500 seems kinda steep but if the truck is in that great of condition it sounds like you can't lose......

The long box and large cabs are truly awesome for family as they are huge amd in short, you can pack a lot of shit in there.

Engine no good as in not reliable?

The diesel engine was no good, turbo problems, egr problems, head studs.....The gas engines just felt underpowered for the size of the truck....

Edited by originalmonk

If you can find an F150 with a long box, I'd recommend that over a 3/4 ton gasser for your needs. Say they both have the 5.4, the F150 is about 1000-1500lb lighter (noticeable fuel mileage difference), better ride, cheaper to insure, and cheaper parts.

Just my thoughts.

Edited by sniper_101

Yes, do not get the 6.0 Power stroke! If you're going to spend over 10k my opinion would be to invest in a decent diesel.

For that price, it better be at least a Lariat. If not, you can find diesels for that much.

Yes, do not get the 6.0 Power stroke! If you're going to spend over 10k my opinion would be to invest in a decent diesel.

Considering it's 6 years old, under 60k miles, I'd challenge either of you to find that truck locally under $11,500, much less a diesel.

Here's what I found in my area, twice the miles on it http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/ctd/3560872011.html

A year newer, 204k miles, only ext cab and short box http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ank/cto/3470753277.html

Sounds like a good price to me if it's in good shape and has been properly maintained. Fuel mileage is gonna suck, but you probably already understand that going in.

• Like 2

I'm not sure why you wouldn't just buy a small(ish) trailer to fit your bike hauling needs? You like your Toy, you just need more room for hauling and a trailer does fit that bill, cost is very little compared to replacing a truck and that Toy will KILL the gas mileage of even the highest MPG full size truck. I also find trailers easier to load/unload....especially compared to a truck bed that is 4' off the ground.

THAT being said....If it is "time" to replace the Toy, that F-250 sounds like a great truck, for a good price. Years ago a full size 1 ton truck would come with a 350 (chev) or a 351 (ford), with some, "some" being relative because tens of millions where made, being outfitted with big blocks. Those trucks have hauled tons, towed tons and been beat to [literally] death. A 5.4 or the V10 is plenty of motor, especially if your not towing. You won't win any races, but what the heck, that is what MC's are for!

My opinion is only my opinion and should not be taken with a grain of salt......unless you like salt :thumbsup:

• Like 1

I'm not sure why you wouldn't just buy a small(ish) trailer to fit your bike hauling needs? You like your Toy, you just need more room for hauling and a trailer does fit that bill, cost is very little compared to replacing a truck and that Toy will KILL the gas mileage of even the highest MPG full size truck. I also find trailers easier to load/unload....especially compared to a truck bed that is 4' off the ground.

THAT being said....If it is "time" to replace the Toy, that F-250 sounds like a great truck, for a good price. Years ago a full size 1 ton truck would come with a 350 (chev) or a 351 (ford), with some, "some" being relative because tens of millions where made, being outfitted with big blocks. Those trucks have hauled tons, towed tons and been beat to [literally] death. A 5.4 or the V10 is plenty of motor, especially if your not towing. You won't win any races, but what the heck, that is what MC's are for!

My opinion is only my opinion and should not be taken with a grain of salt......unless you like salt :thumbsup:

Good points-back in the early 90's the standard engine in a K3500 Chevy was the 5.7L TBI claiming a whopping 200-210 hp @ 4000 rpm and 300 lb.-ft. @ 2800 rpm.

I say "claiming" because I have one, it's all stock, and it sure as heck don't feel like it's got that much.

Considering it's 6 years old, under 60k miles, I'd challenge either of you to find that truck locally under $11,500, much less a diesel.

Here's what I found in my area, twice the miles on it http://minneapolis.c...3560872011.html

A year newer, 204k miles, only ext cab and short box http://minneapolis.c...3470753277.html

Sounds like a good price to me if it's in good shape and has been properly maintained. Fuel mileage is gonna suck, but you probably already understand that going in.

I have been researching and the price is pretty good for the truck and it's condition. Thanks for looking into it as well.

I'm not sure the little Taco could pull our stuff out to where we ride.....that's the main problem. One of our main riding areas (the one in the picture) requires passage over a dirt road with some pretty steep climbs. It doesn't have any problem getting out there now....but with the added weight of a trailer I'm not sure the little 4 banger can do it.

The F250 sounds good, but I have a couple of reservations. It's almost overkill for what we are going to do because it's such a big, heavy, heavy duty rig. And, it's pretty spartan on the interior....it's a work truck. It will be the rig I drive to work and use as my primary transportation as well.

I completely appreciate everybody's input. :thumbsup:

I have been researching and the price is pretty good for the truck and it's condition. Thanks for looking into it as well.

I'm not sure the little Taco could pull our stuff out to where we ride.....that's the main problem. One of our main riding areas (the one in the picture) requires passage over a dirt road with some pretty steep climbs. It doesn't have any problem getting out there now....but with the added weight of a trailer I'm not sure the little 4 banger can do it.

The F250 sounds good, but I have a couple of reservations. It's almost overkill for what we are going to do because it's such a big, heavy, heavy duty rig. And, it's pretty spartan on the interior....it's a work truck. It will be the rig I drive to work and use as my primary transportation as well.

I completely appreciate everybody's input. :thumbsup:

Small flatbed trailer that can fit two bikes and a quad? Thousand lbs tops for empty weight. I don't see the Taco having any trouble pulling that, even over a steep hill. Might not set any land speed records, but it'll do it.

Would 15mpg be a pretty good estimate for the F250?

I think that would be in the best of conditions.

My .02....

Pro's

1. Great Price

2. Ultra reliable truck platform....easily 500k miles with an engine and trans rebuild at some point

3. Roomiest interior of any vehicle you can choose

4. Gas Engine, 6.0 Diesel is a POS

Con's

1. Ride comfort is bad, very stiff

2. Fuel Economy is worse than you can imagine 8-10 mpg

3. It's a tank and gets very old as a daily driver, parking lots are a PITA

4. It's a tall truck to load bikes into

My alternative would be a GM 2500HD 6.0 gas (more power, better ride, great quality)