Sign in to follow this  

too young to ride?

Hey guys, My wife and I just bought my 3 year old a pw50 with training wheels. My wife is absolutly terrified that he is too young to start riding. I personally have never rode a dirt bike in my life. he does pretty good on it so far around the Yard, he has the braking and throttle control concept down. DO you think he is too young to take to the Peewee track locally and let him putt around?

Edited by beanz2166

As long as only peewees will be on it, and it isn't anything to crazy I think you should be fine. Are you thinking about leaving the training wheels on?

Before you go to the track, get him used to riding without the training wheels. The sooner he get's used to riding on 2 wheels and leaning the bike for the turns, the better. Once he's at that point, then going to a facility with a specific peewee track for 65s and under should be a lot of fun.

• Like 2

Use good judgement. I would wait until he has enough skill and strength to ride without training wheels and at least get himself out from under the bike when he falls over. Also, when he does crash, get him back on the bike, don't let him be afraid of it.

• Like 2

I doubt any track will let you cruise around with the training wheels on. They make you take off kickstands, so Im guessing those "Outriggers for others to endo on" would be outlawed as well.

Large open area, use cones to make a course. When he can master the course without the trainers then maybe take him around other riders. This is very young for motorbikes and you should stall his advancement untill you get a bike and learn to ride also. Get a small wheel ttr125 for you to learn on, then his next bike can be a pw80. He can learn the clutch when he moves up to the ttr125. These bikes are all cheap to buy and easy to resale. When the ttr seems slow and heavy and his legs get long it's time for the 85cc two stroke. I use craigslist to buy kids gear as they out grow it so fast and it cost a bundle new. Now get yourself a bike and share the little guy's fun!

yeah 3 is a bit young to be out on a track without you and i dont mean on the side watching.

most guys i see go riding with their kid most of the time the kid is following dad, and sometimes the dad is following the kid.

There is a "private" park, only 150 members, and most times it is pretty empty, so you may look around for something like that, there have been a few people out with pw50 with the training wheels.

i would look into a 225 or even 150 for you to put around with him.

I wouldn't take the training wheels off until your kid can ride a bicycle without them. We have a track at our riding area set up just for little kids. No jumps or bumps just a small flat oval. You see parents with young kids with training wheels all the time. A lot of parents use a teather line so they don't stray off course. Make sure the bike has a governor or some other type of throttle restriction. The last thing you need is your kid going full throttle towards somebody's knee caps.

• Like 1

i started riding when i was 3, and i practiced by doing figure eights around two trees in my backyard, you will know when to take the training wheels off

Also when you take him to the track make sure that you and him both know the rules and he is aware of what to do and not do when other riders are near him. Make him feel good by telling him he is riding really fast or looking like a pro and it will encourage him to want to ride again!!

I wouldn't take the training wheels off until your kid can ride a bicycle without them. We have a track at our riding area set up just for little kids. No jumps or bumps just a small flat oval. You see parents with young kids with training wheels all the time. A lot of parents use a teather line so they don't stray off course. Make sure the bike has a governor or some other type of throttle restriction. The last thing you need is your kid going full throttle towards somebody's knee caps.

Oh the image that was put in my head. :p

Thanks fellas I know the local track has a Peewee track that he can putt around on and the last time we checked it out there was a kid out there with trainers on. He just turned three so hes still a little ways from riding without trainers. His bike is governed for the safety of others. I think for now Ill take the advice and keep him around the house for a couple more months

Also being 6'1 and 215 would a 125 be able to handle me? even if it is to putt around with him?

Edited by beanz2166

Hey guys, My wife and I just bought my 3 year old a pw50 with training wheels. My wife is absolutly terrified that he is too young to start riding. I personally have never rode a dirt bike in my life. he does pretty good on it so far around the Yard, he has the braking and throttle control concept down. DO you think he is too young to take to the Peewee track locally and let him putt around?

Until hes older, don't show him the shifter! As soon as I found it when i was learning, many bruises came my way, but i was 9. not 3. i think its fine, just dont let it get out of hand.....even 50s are dangerous. Hes a little guy, bones arent as strong. good luck. Take pictures!!! He'll love em in 12 years when he's lining up on a big bike!! :)

I went through the same thing with my son, but he was a little slow learning as the bike made him nervous. As much as I wanted him to rip around with me he needed time, a lot of time to get comfortable. I worked with him for almost 2 seasons trying to get rid of the training wheels, I knew he could do it but his confidence was low. The interesting thing to me was he refused to ride without his trainers, so rather than have him not want to ride I let him have them on the bike, but also said we can't go to a track or trail if you are on the trainers.

One day we were driving past a field and he saw a kid about his age riding a dirt bike around the field with no training wheels, he said "dad, I think it's time to take off my training wheels.." I was stoked.

215b83b6b979b194b19087dea101fd4c.jpg

I've shared this pic before, his first ride without the trainers. My point in all this is let your boy decide when to take them off. He's really little still, my son was 5, almost 6 really by the time he felt comfortable, and if I took them off, as I did once he lost confidence and didn't want to ride. I decided I would rather have him ride with the trainers than not ride, or crash all the time. Our tracks don't allow training wheels, but make sure he is ready. One of my last track rides last season a kid was on the track on a cobra 50. His dad didn't ride so he sat at the car while his kid was running the adult track. The issue was at least 2/3 of the track you could not see from the staging area, and dad would just sit there and wait. We were trying to put in a few hot laps and my buddies were able to sneak around the kid, but I had to wait through a corner to get around him. As the corner ended and it opened into a hundred yard straight I pulled way to the right to go around him and hammered it with at least 10 feet between us. Well, I apparently scared the little kid to death because as I rounded the next corner I saw him on the ground. You could not see this area from staging, so dad wasn't going to help and I could see that the kid couldn't lift or start his bike. I stopped and went back over to him and he was upset and said I knocked him over, which I didn't. I laid my bike down (no kickstand) got the kid cleaned up and his bike started to send him along. Dad was none the wiser. IMO that is a huge no-no. My kid has to be able to pick up and start his own bike before he takes it to the track, around the house or on the trails I'm happy to help.

6'1"and 215 is pretty big for a 125, it can happen, but if you don't track ride look for a KDX 200, or a KTM 200 xc. Either one would be perfect for following your son around, and would be marginal on an mx track, but would work. You could do the 125, just pick up a clean older model and you'll be able to sell it in a year for what you paid for it.

One more thing, get a bike with a kickstand! When my son and I started riding around the yard he always wanted me on my bike. The issue was everytime he crashed I had to find a spot for my bike and help him get up and back together, etc.. It got to the point that I would follow him on one of my old 3 wheelers just to simplify it for me.

Good luck, and enjoy this bonding time with your son. At 3 I couldn't get mine interested, Thomas the train had his full attention, now we are riding buddies and I love it.

125 would be ok, remember your are really just riding around in 1st or 2nd gear, you could ride a mountain bike if you wanted to pedal around all day after him....

around the peewee track you dont need to ride with him, and he may enjoy doing that for hours on end some kids do.

my kids were the same way with training wheels when they say other kids their age they wanted to take them off.

i started moving them up higher and higher a little at a time, so they started putting their feet down when they stopped and that helped. Otherewise they stop and never need to put their feet down.

• Like 1

get the kid gear that he can STAND UP in. And use the throttle stop adjuster. Pretty sure theres even a cord that you can get that will pull the brakes for him if he gets too far away from you. He's not too young, start him early.

Sorry, I agree with his mom. Training wheels means too early (unless perhaps if your kid is physically challenged that's unrelated to his age.)

Wait til he can hold the bike on his own and ride a pedal bike without training wheels. Then he'll have enough experience on the pedal bike to handle the motorcycle.

If you want to help the issue, buy him a strider bike followed by a Razor electric motorcycle.

Edited by Smacaroni

If ya cant ride a bike dont get one with a motor

Edited by 103honda