Sign in to follow this  

Hardwire my GPS on a Ricky 200watt XR600 in the boonies?

So this might be a fun project for me I think...

I wanna take advantage if my ricky stator extra juice...I also want to connect a horn...

I have a garmin marine GPS its a 76cx that I used for sailing, I bought at the time the hardwrie connectors for 12v dc output...simple connector and wires.

so

I need input from those of you with electrical experience.

I can see the inout needs of the gps in watts...so I need to find an "regulator" Since Im in elsalvador there are TONS of small ccd bikes, all street legal, and tons of stores thgat carry spares...I see inverters, regulators ALL the time...

my question is there are too many to chose from...I see 5 wired ones 3 wired ones(kind of like and xr ac one) etc..

without knowing what are pertinent questions to ask the service guys besides wattage capacuty etc...

like what wires are needed to simply hardwire this gps to the ricky? I obviously need dc 12 volts...

I know this is a simple question really I guess my point is without ORDERING an expensive unit from the states, what other bike models would have a capable regulator that simply inverts this ac to dc volts...

thanks

lastly whats the easiest way to hook up a cheap bike ir car horn to my ricky stator? bridge rectifier or go with a bigger regulator/rec like above that could handle BOTH?

christian

Wire in a 12 volt DC regulator/rectifier to supply 12 volts DC for the horn and gps. You could even charge a battery this way.

• Like 1

so its pretty much a given that any of these regulators I see will work? watts load dependant of course right? I figured this much but sometimes I ask question and get worse answers than I have in my mind

what the worse that could happen the horn wont work while the gps is on, and viceversa or will something actually blow?

Im not interested in a battery or dualsport kit(homemade) at the moment but for sure a HORN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Im hating driving on the streets these days...idiots and violent people everywhere...

I just cant do it now anymore...jajaja

A regulator produces AC current. You want a regulator/rectifier which produces 12V DC current. Additionally, bike rectifiers require a capacitor or a battery in the circuit to filter the output and produce better DC for electronics.

Ricky Stator or Trail Tech has the parts. You can probably scavange a rectifier from another bike. You'll need one rated for 100w if using one winding of your stator or 200w if using both windings in one circuit. Beware that some bikes are three phase systems, and I don't think you can use those rectifiers for your single phase system.

thats what Im trying to find out...what modern scooters and chinese bikes use for reg recs? single or 3 phase...I know for sure that the parts guys or mechanics wont know about this...

eeeh

might just need to keep buying batteries I guess...

what about a horn? I heard a bridge rectifier can be used in liue of a reg rec for this, true no?

Edited by elsalvadorXR6

I'm electrically challenged so possibly not of much use,,also kinda busy working on my boat at present (H28 Ketch), How about a reg/rec from an XL600..few on ebay..

http://motors.shop.e...70.l1313&_rdc=1

Whether one would be adequate I dunno..

What colour wires currently run from your loom to the Ricky Stator and what do you have in the way of lights etc on the bike at present.??

There's plenty of wiring diagrams that I have that show you how to wire in a battery or condensor,,Simple matter of hooking up the GPS to that once it's sorted out with the bat or Con..I'll post one maybe later if you want..ie,,12hrs ..Let me know and I'll put one up this arvo..

Gotta go anyway,,traffic chaos in the mornings here so gotta move early or be trapped..Later..

Edited by Horri
  • Like 1

If you look closely at the stators of the donor bikes, one winding would produce single phase and three windings feeding into one rectifier would be three phase. I think.

I don't think a conventional bike horn will work on AC.

I'm electrically challenged so possibly not of much use,,also kinda busy working on my boat at present (H28 Ketch), How about a reg/rec from an XL600..few on ebay..

http://motors.shop.e...70.l1313&_rdc=1

Whether one would be adequate I dunno..

What colour wires currently run from your loom to the Ricky Stator and what do you have in the way of lights etc on the bike at present.??

There's plenty of wiring diagrams that I have that show you how to wire in a battery or condensor,,Simple matter of hooking up the GPS to that once it's sorted out with the bat or Con..I'll post one maybe later if you want..ie,,12hrs ..Let me know and I'll put one up this arvo..

Gotta go anyway,,traffic chaos in the mornings here so gotta move early or be trapped..Later..

HORRI YOU GOT BE EFFIN KIDDING ME

I sailed and restored a wooden h28 from san francisco to florida via the panama canal when I was 18!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! stopped by el salvador for a year.

thats crazy!

love ya man!

Im assuming you have the modified nz ketch? in fiberglass

Mine was all wood, double teak on oak frames, with BRONZE screws, not rivets...it was a beast

loved that boat!

take care bud

If you look closely at the stators of the donor bikes, one winding would produce single phase and three windings feeding into one rectifier would be three phase. I think.

I don't think a conventional bike horn will work on AC.

no it wont thats why I mentioned the bridged rectifier thinghy that acts like a rectifier of sorts and can make ac work...

Long time ago that I read this so I might be wrong

• Like 1

Re the boat..Double diagonal wood ,, glassed over. ,,she's heavy. I'd never have bought an all glass one due to the fiberglass problems we had with a lot of them down here. Bukh 20 as the motor,,slight problem with that but I'm onto the problem,,Gunna put some decent Solar on it for some more in the way of a power supply for fridges/pcs etc. Let me know if you want any diagrams for the bikes..Off for beer ,,, I'll be too hammered later to post,,will check back in the morning..Adieu.

Edited by Horri
  • Like 1

no it wont thats why I mentioned the bridged rectifier thinghy that acts like a rectifier of sorts and can make ac work...

Long time ago that I read this so I might be wrong

A diode trio or a full wave bridge rectifier by chance???

http://www.bcae1.com/charging.htm

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/867723-xr250r-enduro-project-using-the-tusk-kit/

:cheers:

• Like 1

that last link was one of the threads I read about where it mentioned the bridge rectifier, thats exactly what I need, man it was a long time ago!...wether I need a battery or not for the just the horn only is what I need to figure out...

ill do some reading

thanks again bud

• Like 1

so for no battery, and just the horn for example...I need a bridge rectifier and a CAPACITOR inline to the horn

anybody want to correct me on this? or is this wrong...the horn is not on all the time..so Im not sure about the capacitor...however for the gps I would need a bank of some sort...either a battery or bridge and capacitor?

Please correct me if Im wrong guys

thanks

christian

we posted at the same time! jajajajajaja

thanks man

• Like 1

You need a rectifier with a capacitoy or battery. Either will work for a horn.

I'm not sure about the GPS... Don't use one or ask for directions either.... I do have a compass thou...

I will get a GPS someday, but I want a hand held one... I might even get a cell phone some day too...

• Like 1

so since Im planning on NOT spending any money on this, how you say? I have 2 horns on my mentero 4x4...they are small but sound like an old alfa romeo

all I need to source is a bridge rectifier aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand the capacitor...I have some car mechanic friends who might have some laying around...

oh crap I need a switch of some sort...damn maybe I can fix my old kill switch, that would work right?

thanks guys much appreciated

• Like 1

Your kill switch will work if it has 2 wires without a handlebar ground.

A one wire kill switch grounds to the handlebar.

Your horn from your 4x4 might ground though the mounting bolt and will need the power to be switched with a 2 wire switch.

If your horn has 2 wires you can run power directly to it and use a one wire kill switch to control the ground.

On a side note car horns might draw too much power for the kill switch??? :excuseme: I don't know for sure...

Some scooters(vespa and more) and some older motorcycles use a 12V AC horn. Maybe you could find one somewhere???

654.gif

A bridge rectifier, is four diodes arranged to "flip" the part of the AC wave. Basically AC goes in, DC comes out.

607px-Diode_bridge_smoothing.svg.png

You probably want one that looks kinda like this.

35a-BridgeRectifier.gif

The contact points are labeled with ~ (AC) inputs and +/- outputs.

Or scrouge one up from a XL600/350/250/175/125/100... :D

:cheers:

• Like 1

i read that about the ac vespa horns

I know of a place that restires all vespas, bajaj included and they have parts...so this will be on my list first

so

if I do find a vespa 12vac horn what would I need since the second leg of my ricky stator puts out 100watts plus?

i read that about the ac vespa horns

I know of a place that restires all vespas, bajaj included and they have parts...so this will be on my list first

so

if I do find a vespa 12vac horn what would I need since the second leg of my ricky stator puts out 100watts plus?

You shouldn't...

Just wire it so it gets power from the headlight and ground it with a kill switch. They draw 5-10 watts IRC.

That's all it should take.

• Like 1