2012 vs 2013 EXC-F?

No difference between 12/13 EXCs.....

Maybe not in your country, but here in the US there is. The graphics are different for sure, so are the grips and rims. Also the 2012 had the 10 micron fuel filters that they changed to 20 microns due to clogging issues.

Like stated, the changes are very minor. Grips are different (new ones rip so easy so you'll replace em anyhow),, the inline fuel filters were changed to 20 microns from 10 (but you can get put the new one for like $5 anyhow), no more black coated rims and the graphics are different. All changes are MINOR. But if you can get a 2012 for ALOT less than the 2013, might be worth it.

Most importantly the 2013 are die cast engine cases instead of sand case in 2012 so they are lighter and stronger.

Rims are Giants instead of Excel but no real performance or weight diff there.

There are some little things like I think the a Pankl bearing or something but nothing else major.

Graphics, grips yes. No the fuel filters are the same after you get your 2012 recalled. Both also get new fuel lines under recall.

I'm a dealer/salesman.

12 models were die cast cases, Pankl rod was 12 as well.

The best thing they updated for 13 was moving the inline filter to the quick connect in the fuel line.

I like the bar bend a little better too, but that's personal preference.

+1...Biggest difference is the die cast engine cases.

Most importantly the 2013 are die cast engine cases instead of sand case in 2012 so they are lighter and stronger.

Rims are Giants instead of Excel but no real performance or weight diff there.

There are some little things like I think the a Pankl bearing or something but nothing else major.

Graphics, grips yes. No the fuel filters are the same after you get your 2012 recalled. Both also get new fuel lines under recall.

I'm a dealer/salesman.

No change to the casting process from '12 to '13 - die cast both years. A recall, TB 1202 on the '12 updated the fuel filters to the '13 spec.

I bought a non-current '12 as it is functionally the same bike as the '13 but it was less expensive.

• 2 weeks later...
I bought a non-current '12 as it is functionally the same bike as the '13 but it was less expensive.

CeeFo...are you in Ontario (the province) Canada or Ontario (the town) California.

If you're from Ontario Canada...I would like to know what dealer you picked up your 2012 from.

I'm very seriously thinking of upgrading my ride from my old 04 WR450 to the 350EXC F and am having the debate between buying a 2012 (with a few known problems like the 10 micron fuel filters) but likely significantly less expensive than the 2013..or paying more for the 2013 with the original "teething problems" all solved.

Good dealers are harder and harder to find (at least thats how it seems to me) so would be interested to know who you dealt with and what your impressions were.

Also...any idea if the Canadian bikes are any different from the US bikes...emissions, ignition maps etc.

Thanks

CeeFo...are you in Ontario (the province) Canada or Ontario (the town) California.

If you're from Ontario Canada...I would like to know what dealer you picked up your 2012 from.

I'm very seriously thinking of upgrading my ride from my old 04 WR450 to the 350EXC F and am having the debate between buying a 2012 (with a few known problems like the 10 micron fuel filters) but likely significantly less expensive than the 2013..or paying more for the 2013 with the original "teething problems" all solved.

Good dealers are harder and harder to find (at least thats how it seems to me) so would be interested to know who you dealt with and what your impressions were.

Also...any idea if the Canadian bikes are any different from the US bikes...emissions, ignition maps etc.

Thanks

On earlier models, they came with a 10 micron filter, midway through KTM switched them to a 20 micron filter. If the 12 model your looking at doesnt hasnt had the update, its a easy swap a 20 micron in....

If you can find a new 2012, I wouldnt hesitate to buy one over the a 13 if there is cost savings......

Thanks

Hey Travertt,

I am from Ontario (Canada) and picked up a brand 2012 350 EXC-F last month . I purchased it at HB Cycle for what I felt was a very good price. I think it was the last 2012 they had left. I think you may find it hard to find any 2012's left in Ontario. Personally I prefer the black RIMS which the 2013's dont have. Not that they are any different I just like the look of them. Change sprocket to 14/52 and had fan installed before I even picked it up

Edited by jdepp

I am from Ontario (Canada) and picked up a brand 2012 350 EXC-F last month

CeeFo

Thanks for the info...will check out HB ASAP.

Went to GP Cycle (Whitby) today to check the 350 out...I was impressed. Particularly with the ease with which you can stand on the left side of the bike and slide you right hand under the sub-frame just above the muffler and pick up the rear end. I seem to do this a lot getting myself out of mud bogs etc and the KTM was shockingly lighter than my old WR 450 when trying the same manouuver....like that alot. Not sure how much I will like it with a burning hot muffler...but we'll see.

They were asking $10,600 plus tax out the door...not cheap!...you're lucky you found a 2012. What I really didn't like was no skid plate at all!!!...couldn't believe it...for that money you'd think a skid plate was the least they would do.

Anyway...thanks again and have a blast on your new beast.

CeeFo

Thanks for the info...will check out HB ASAP.

Went to GP Cycle (Whitby) today to check the 350 out...I was impressed. Particularly with the ease with which you can stand on the left side of the bike and slide you right hand under the sub-frame just above the muffler and pick up the rear end. I seem to do this a lot getting myself out of mud bogs etc and the KTM was shockingly lighter than my old WR 450 when trying the same manouuver....like that alot. Not sure how much I will like it with a burning hot muffler...but we'll see.

They were asking $10,600 plus tax out the door...not cheap!...you're lucky you found a 2012. What I really didn't like was no skid plate at all!!!...couldn't believe it...for that money you'd think a skid plate was the least they would do.

Anyway...thanks again and have a blast on your new beast.

Just sent PM