Sign in to follow this  

Washington Eastern WA. Diert Riders 'Spring Opener' 2013!

I used to go to their events in the early 80's. I remember getting a blue/green t-shirt for climbing King Kong Kiona hill I believe.

Glad to see this group is still around.

NC

I used to go to their events in the early 80's. I remember getting a blue/green t-shirt for climbing King Kong Kiona hill I believe.

Glad to see this group is still around.

NC

huh....I lived in tri cities in the eighties and was an EWDRA member and rode all over the place out there in the horn rapids area. it was 50 times bigger then as golf and housing have eaten up most of the land. at least Juniper forest is pretty much the same.

joe

huh....I lived in tri cities in the eighties and was an EWDRA member and rode all over the place out there in the horn rapids area. it was 50 times bigger then as golf and housing have eaten up most of the land. at least Juniper forest is pretty much the same.

joe

Do you remember Beer Falls? Tri-City Honda? There was also a motorcycle supply shop across from the Fred Meyer in Richland. I am so sick of Seattle's rain I could move back there if I found a decent job.

You may also recall that the freeways between said Fred Meyer and the Keene Road area were all brand new. We used to ride the area between the two and called it the Construction Site. With all the earth moving going on, the place constantly changed. Great times to be a kid on a dirt bike.

NC

Do you remember Beer Falls? Tri-City Honda? There was also a motorcycle supply shop across from the Fred Meyer in Richland. I am so sick of Seattle's rain I could move back there if I found a decent job.

You may also recall that the freeways between said Fred Meyer and the Keene Road area were all brand new. We used to ride the area between the two and called it the Construction Site. With all the earth moving going on, the place constantly changed. Great times to be a kid on a dirt bike.

NC

Sheesh....small world. i WORKED at that fred meyer at the time. i ALSO rode on the freeway construction site all over the place ( and usd to climb the big hill nearby that has radar on the summit too). still the best riding was out at juniper, but the horn rapids area was fun because you could cruise up to the MX track after riding desert all around there and do a few laps if there weren't events going on....... fun times.

Joe

Even stranger . . . I lived in Country Ridge at the foot of the mountain you used to climb. There was the main path in the middle right below the radar towers. One to the left that had the "year numbers carved into the side of the hill" and the one on the right hand side. I usually took the path on the right. On the far right you could take a rough but not to steep road and drive or ride to the top. I can also remember dragging old car tires to the top of that hill and rolling them down the side of the mountain. We rode "the canal" you crossed to get to the foot of the hills to get to beer falls.

If you rode what I call the construction site, I wouldn't be surprised if we were there at the same time. I had an XR-80 and by brother an XR-100. A buddy had an RM 50. What bike did you have back then?

Do you remember that concrete bridge they build as part of Keene road? My buddy on the RM-50 was walking on fresh concrete but it wasn't fresh enough to leave any marks. That was until the construction truck pulled in at like 100 mph and my buddy panicked and started running. He left foot prints about an inch deep. I am sure that cost the construction company a lot of money to fix. OTOH, if they had just driven by, he would have walked back and never left at trace. Ah the memories. I never rode Juniper.

NC

Sheesh....small world. i WORKED at that fred meyer at the time. i ALSO rode on the freeway construction site all over the place ( and usd to climb the big hill nearby that has radar on the summit too). still the best riding was out at juniper, but the horn rapids area was fun because you could cruise up to the MX track after riding desert all around there and do a few laps if there weren't events going on....... fun times.

Joe

Edited by NumberCruncher

I am thinking about coming down and trying my luck at this event, never ridden sand like that so should be fun.

Anyways, being from Canada I don't have a ORV tag... anyone know if you can get a tourist pass or know what my options are?

I am thinking about coming down and trying my luck at this event, never ridden sand like that so should be fun.

Anyways, being from Canada I don't have a ORV tag... anyone know if you can get a tourist pass or know what my options are?

There is a Winter GP series in McCleary Washington that I have been going to. Next race is on March 3rd. Fairly easy and not to techincal course.....your more then welcome to tag along if your interested.....No tags or such needed

There is a Winter GP series in McCleary Washington that I have been going to. Next race is on March 3rd. Fairly easy and not to techincal course.....your more then welcome to tag along if your interested.....No tags or such needed

Will have to check my family schedule, this event works because I have some 4x4 wheels for a guy that lives in Washington who will be racing. Killing two birds one stone kind of deal.