Sign in to follow this  

Bike preservation!

So here i am, finally with the means to get a NEW bike, next weekend i'm gonna go pick up a shiny new 2013 250f (or should i say 250R cuz im %80 sure im going with the honda) anyhow, the only race bikes i have ever ridden are older 2-stroke 125's (like 2002.) So i want from youguys a bulleted list of the most ANAL RETENTIVE maintnance and hourly upkeep for a 250F, i wan't to be able to sell this thing in the year 2025 and get the $7850 im paying for it! (thats an extreme example but youguys understand.)

Example list:

Replace the blach blah......................XXX hours

Clean the blah blah blah....................XXX hours

oil the blah blah.................................XXX hours

^ thats what i'm looking for and your wisdom and experience is greatly appreciated :worthy:

if you want the most anal, read your owners manual maint. They will have you changing pistons every 2 races.

• Like 1

keep it clean and well serviced go by the manual for oil changes and valve checks and replace parts as need.

Take some pictures fo sho! New bikes, and the memory of what they once were won't last. Just like your first real girlfriend and what she was like to ride, only your wife won't be too fussed if she finds.

Double-check your oil level and re-oil your airfilter before first ride.

Clean the brake discs with contact cleaner to remove the factory oil.

Find the cheapest set of used wheels you can, and set aside your originals. Its pretty easy to make a bike look fresh again (when its time to sell) with a scotchbrite pad and some new plastics, but if you can add your new stock wheels, it'll look like brand new and you'll get more for it.

I typically change the engine oil after the first 15 mins to half an hour as the first engine oil will contaminate pretty quicly and can cause premature wear. Also run around the bike with a set of wrenches and make sure everything is still tight after each short ride x 5.

Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy! Lucky SOB!

Edited by Swappa
  • Like 1

wash it frequently and well. use a scotch brite pad on the frame to remove the scuffs. use a good cleaner. clean it on the side then stand it up and wash it all over again. blow dry or ride dry. my bike looks like crap to me because i know all the defects but everyone else thinks it looks great.

change your filter frequently. change the oil and oil filter frequently.

Race a bike for 20 hours. sell it. buy a new bike... most anal you can get. and only if you are pro will this not be good enough

(oh and no matter what you will have to keep up on the basics, oil, coolant, filter, grease ...etc)

In general, just keep up with what the manual says, I don't but that is because it costs to much and I am not a "pro" rider.

They write the manual for best practices and highest level of upkeep the keep the bike and 100%... these bikes can get really dangerous if they aren't, don't believe? stop doing maintenance then next time you hit that 80 foot triple and the bike locks a piston up and you go flopping to the ground, it happens and it hurts, lucky I have never been there...but again I keep up on my bike or I don't ride it tell it is ;)

Alright so general consensus is to follow the maintenance program in the manual as closeley as i can afford. Sounds like a plan, thanks guys!

Air filter and oil is the life of your engine and don't run shitty gas

I bought a complete set of plastic before I ever rode my current bike. So when selling time comes it will have brand new OEM plastic. Not like I'll try to sell it as new or scam anyone, but nothing looks as nice as original plastic with safety stickers and everything!

just put it in your living room, and use it as a conversation piece.

Will hardwood floor cause excessive wear on the tires?

• Like 2

Honestly, get the damn thing out and ride it. Your buying a new bike, you're going to take a huge hit and in the long run you might spend a ton of extra hours doing useless things to get a $500 gain in the final sale price. I see these bikes on Kijiji all the time, oh here look is my 2003 Kx250 with fmf exhaust, I want $5500 for it because it's perfect shape. Okay sure, but it's always going to be a 13 year old mx bike. If you're not having fun on the bike, why ride it? Motocross bikes are never an investment and are pretty much the opposite, you throw a $1200 exhaust on it and it's not worth $12 more, you rebuild the entire motor and it's still not worth more. You can keep the bike clean, look after it and provide proper maintance but being super anal and not having fun with the thing isn't going to save you money, as soon as you sign it over to your name it's already worth significantly less then you paid for it and each year it basically cuts itself in half in value. There's nothing you can do to fight that, if you're worried about depreciating value buy an older used bike.

• Like 1

Honestly, get the damn thing out and ride it. Your buying a new bike, you're going to take a huge hit and in the long run you might spend a ton of extra hours doing useless things to get a $500 gain in the final sale price. I see these bikes on Kijiji all the time, oh here look is my 2003 Kx250 with fmf exhaust, I want $5500 for it because it's perfect shape. Okay sure, but it's always going to be a 13 year old mx bike. If you're not having fun on the bike, why ride it? Motocross bikes are never an investment and are pretty much the opposite, you throw a $1200 exhaust on it and it's not worth $12 more, you rebuild the entire motor and it's still not worth more. You can keep the bike clean, look after it and provide proper maintance but being super anal and not having fun with the thing isn't going to save you money, as soon as you sign it over to your name it's already worth significantly less then you paid for it and each year it basically cuts itself in half in value. There's nothing you can do to fight that, if you're worried about depreciating value buy an older used bike.

very very VERY good point, and i totally agree.

Also guys remember i was just using the resale value things as an exagerated example, its not even about that to me, i just wanted some insight as to what i can do as far as preventative maintenance to keep it running healthily so i can be out having fun on it more than having it in the shop.

Thanks ere'body

very very VERY good point, and i totally agree.

Also guys remember i was just using the resale value things as an exagerated example, its not even about that to me, i just wanted some insight as to what i can do as far as preventative maintenance to keep it running healthily so i can be out having fun on it more than having it in the shop.

Thanks ere'body

Well in that case get an hour meter and follow the manual right. You don't necessarily have to go as extreme as the manual says but try not to deviate from it too much and make sure to give your bike a good wash after every ride and get it set up the way you like it, that will lead to a lot of fun. Good luck with the new bike