Sign in to follow this  

07 KTM 450XC questions

i am thinking about picking up a 2007 450XC with confirmed low hours, a friend of a friend deal, but have a few questions. also im not in the area, so i cant jump on it and take it for a spin. the track near me is doing more and more GP and vet track races now and i want in. i have an ATK 605 dual sport that does well on the street, local trails, on the desert, but if i get the KTM im sure i will only ride the ATK when a plate is required. is the 450XC a good bike for GP and vet track style races? or am i trying to turn a straight line desert bike into something its not? i havent been on a track a awhile, and never raced modern bikes before. im not looking to do big doubles or triples, mostly just vet track riding.

for some reason i think i read somewhere that the 06 and 07 450XC got stainless valves, am i just dreaming or is that what is really in there? anything on a used 07 that i should be looking closely at when checking out the bike? other than normal wear and tear and maintenance items? the bike is completely stock. ive read up on some of the other threads that mention adding a jetting kit because it comes lean from the factory, other than that is anything else necessary to ditch or swap on a stock bike?

my only other "modern" 4 stroke was an 01 YZ250F awhile back, but after sitting on a newer KTM at the dealer i noticed the YZ is not in the same universe as the KTM as far as ergos! and my last KTM was an 89 500DXC, so i have nothing remote to compare it to. i like that a lot of people are claiming its a great do it all bike. what do you guys think of the bike switching from desert, to trails, to MX?