Sign in to follow this  

anyone doing any good upgrades for 2013?

At the end of last summer we bought a ktm 85 just to compare w/ are 150 , so far my 12yr old has only been riding the ktm and is very happy , just before we bought the 85 i bought a camarello piston and cam for the 150, and they are about to go in , so were going to do alot of back to back testing at the track , i just assembled some big wheels for the ktm also ,but he seems to like the 14/17 wheels for now so far he adapted to the 2t very well and seems faster,going to be a fun this spring at the races.

Big Wheels

O-ring chain

Front and Rear Sprocket

TM chain guide

New Bark Busters

Clarke oversize tank

20130122_185932.jpg

has anyone here used Xceldyne intake valve springs

with stock steel valves , i see they offer different hight seats etc ,just wodering if i can use all stock stuff and just the xceldyne springs ? i have a differnt cam and want to run a slightly stiffer spring , there closed till monday so i cant call and ask them directly , i need to try and stop some of the valve float on over rev

Edited by fgrote

I'm starting with 2009 CRF150RB, bought used last year with the following parts:

PR2 head with BeCU seats, Ti valves and HD springs.

FMF PowerBomb/4.1 Ti exhaust system.

Works Connection skid plate.

CRF250R twin-piston front brake caliper.

Fastway pegs.

Oversized radiators.

Renthal 996 bars.

It also came with spare frame (CRF150R), short swingarm, small wheels w/new Dunlop rubber, stock radiators, and extra sprockets and chains.

I added a TT sidestand, RSW top clamps and risers, a Rekluse clutch and a Works Connection hour meter.

It's was a serious racer, run one year in both the R and RB classes. It has been extremely well maintained. The owner told me that the valves were checked after every other race and never required adjustment. The kid could ride, and used the powerband well without hanging on the rev limiter.

This year I'm going street-legal (to connect trails) and these are the mods I'm adding to turn it into a high-country trail bike:

Modifications to the engine to improve low-end torque and throttle response: Web-Cam #298 torque-grind cam, Cylinder Works 160cc barrel and piston and homemade flow splitter to go in the airbox (already on the garage shelf, waiting for the confluence of available time and good weather to install).

TT alternator/flywheel, w/Moose Racing headlight and Baja Designs LED taillight and a home-brew harness w/4-in-1 switch.

Bulletproof radiator guards and homebrew fan.

A 3" extension to the swingarm, and TM chain guide.

21" front wheel and 18" rear wheel, shod with DOT-legal MT-43s.

Heavier springs and suspension revalving.

Homebrew rearsets (1-2" lower and 2-2 1/2" back).

Handguards.

Clarke 1.7 gal tank.

Because it's so loud as it stands, I'll probably have to replace the Ti FMF exhaust with a FMF SS MegaBomb or used MRD torque pipe w/modified CRF250X muffler (the only one I've heard that's quiet enough for trail riding) before I go to the DMV for inspection.

Edited by Old Plonker

I PUT THE CP PISTON IN MINE this weekend and im waiting on hd springs , im still conflicted on cams , ive got this crower cam sitting next to the stock cam ,and just not sure guess im just going to ride it back to back to see what i think , the spring seats are back ordered , and they say you have to use them with the springs , im going to call and see if i can get a tech on the phone to see what they have to say , im pondering a new 2012 head also , freaken money pits

trying to get things sorted out before the racing season starts

ive got a ktm 85 ready to go back to back to see what were going to race this yr

Our bike is sitting waiting for warmer days,,,,,, spring thaw. CP piston, Crower cam, and Kibblewhite valve train. Needed to go up to a 45 pilot and going to try a smaller 138 main. So far the bike revs faster than with the stock parts (no load on bike). First race is March 3 and hopefully will be all dialed in by then.

I personally wouldn't get the new head if you are looking for all out power.

Edited by weantright

just an update the valve springs i ordered , stayed on back order , so I ordered a pc kit , its all put together , just have to put the head back on and shim it , i think im going to start with the stock cam do some base line tests then drop in the crower can , and decide what were going to race with , the cp piston fit like a glove , all in spec whether is nice enough to do some good back to back , i;ll be running 110 sunoco /premium gas 50/50 , son took a bad practice crash this weekend the worst since he has been riding,he cart wheeled serveral times on the ktm 85 we have , luckly he walked away unhurt , just proved to me , its a must to wear proper protection , bumped his head real good so i went out and bought him a top of the line carbon fiber helmet

just had a soar kneck ,he is very good about wearing protection kneck brace , elbow guards , best boots , chest protector etc I truly belive this saved him from serious injury

Our bike is sitting waiting for warmer days,,,,,, spring thaw. CP piston, Crower cam, and Kibblewhite valve train. Needed to go up to a 45 pilot and going to try a smaller 138 main. So far the bike revs faster than with the stock parts (no load on bike). First race is March 3 and hopefully will be all dialed in by then.

How did the race go? What's your take on the engine mods? Did the jetting changes work out?

just an update the valve springs i ordered , stayed on back order , so I ordered a pc kit , its all put together , just have to put the head back on and shim it , i think im going to start with the stock cam do some base line tests then drop in the crower can , and decide what were going to race with , the cp piston fit like a glove , all in spec whether is nice enough to do some good back to back , i;ll be running 110 sunoco /premium gas 50/50 , son took a bad practice crash this weekend the worst since he has been riding,he cart wheeled serveral times on the ktm 85 we have , luckly he walked away unhurt , just proved to me , its a must to wear proper protection , bumped his head real good so i went out and bought him a top of the line carbon fiber helmet

just had a soar kneck ,he is very good about wearing protection kneck brace , elbow guards , best boots , chest protector etc I truly belive this saved him from serious injury

Glad your son's OK. Hope the KTM fared as well. Looking forward to your feedback on the cams.

How did the race go? What's your take on the engine mods? Did the jetting changes work out?

After dropping the bike on a down hill trying to pass lappers, then power slide out of a turn tossing him on the trail, he placed 5th. I will say this with the valve train there is no valve float at all. My son passed a rider going up hill in 4 and couldn't shift (so he said) and the motor just wrapped away not losing any power. How much did the motor work help??? could tell because the track was thawing from the morning of 20*f. I ended up going for this race to 45 pilot, 48 leak and 140 main. Ran good but with the cold the motor still needed a bit more fuel on low end to keep the Rekluse from occasional stall. The motor has a bit more valve noise compared to stock. Had to run 92 pump gas so it might run better with 50/50 mix. This weekend he will get a complete suspension revalved for the woods.

03-03-2013race.jpg

Edited by weantright

After dropping the bike on a down hill trying to pass lappers, then power slide out of a turn tossing him on the trail, he placed 5th. I will say this with the valve train there is no valve float at all. My son passed a rider going up hill in 4 and couldn't shift (so he said) and the motor just wrapped away not losing any power. How much did the motor work help??? could tell because the track was thawing from the morning of 20*f. I ended up going for this race to 45 pilot, 48 leak and 140 main. Ran good but with the cold the motor still needed a bit more fuel on low end to keep the Rekluse from occasional stall. The motor has a bit more valve noise compared to stock. Had to run 92 pump gas so it might run better with 50/50 mix. This weekend he will get a complete suspension revalved for the woods.

03-30-2012start.jpg

03-03-2013race.jpg

I am glad my son now races hare scrambles, less damaging crashes and easier for the parents. Hope he's ok

I am glad my son now races hare scrambles, less damaging crashes and easier for the parents. Hope he's ok

that is some cold looking riding , it has to be 60* or i wont go, , my sons fine Im hoping it doesnt put any fear in him , when we get back out , bike didn't fair to bad it ripped the bars right off the bike , the bolts pulled out of the tripple clamp bent the bars, levers grips etc , couple hunderd plus a new helmet , but like i said the boy walked away thats all i cared about, bikes can be fixed, funny thing i told him we were just going to play and have fun , no coaching, no creteacing(sp) his riding just have fun , next thing i know he flys by me at full speed skipping over HUGE hoopdy doo's i see the back start fish tailing , then the dust , and the cart wheeling , he jumps right up in shock and gives me the thumbs up LOL i pull up by him and i couldnt help my self as soon as i knew he was really ok , i was calling him james stewart all the way home LOL

I don't ride below 50 but he rides all the time. My son crashes when he gets tired by being lazy. First big crash put him out for 14 hrs and cracked a brand new helmet. Two weeks later he thought why put weight on the front then to the rear, just split the difference and stay mid seat. Washed out in the corner and got ran over by the bike he just flew by. His neck brace took the hit but still walked away whit a poped out shoulder. Super mini class is very tough and the speeds are right there with 125-250 school boy.