How To Get More Riders Into The Sport?

As everyone has seen more and more teams are shutting down or pulling out of regions. I feel the best way to bring more riders into the sport which would increase the dollars in the sport is by getting more riders involved. My suggestion is clubs/tracks need to have a way a member or staff can help a person that is wanting to get into the sport by having a bike they can ride and gear to wear. I'm not saying a brand new bike and top of the line gear. I'm talking an older bike that parts are cheaper and easy to get, and donated gear. This way a person can see if they like the sport before they make the huge investment it takes to get into it. I know I started riding at 25 because my father-in-law has an extra bike that he took me out on. If it wasn't for someone offering me the opportunity I would have never dumped all the money I have into the sport which helps companies support teams and promote the sport. Lets hear other suggestions on how to increase money and riders into the sport we all love.

I'm not sure if this directly addresses your question but one thing I think is very lacking (at least in Georgia) is places where outright beginners can ride. I've been trying to get people into the sport and the same problem is always that even the easiest trails in the parks are just too hard for outright beginners to learn on.

Bikes are expensive, but they always have been. It has never been a cheap sport to get involved with. I think it also has a good bit to do with promotion and marketing. It still is treated very much as a niche sport. I rarely see commercials advertising bikes, especially on the more mainstream channels.

You are obviously very passionate about this subject. I think there is an answer, but I am not sure that this is it. It is definitely a hard one. I have worked in the industry for a number of years for several different companies, and as soon as you start offering free rides on a bike with free track time, man, you should see what comes out of the woodwork. I was at a Honda day in 06 for the launch of the 07 models, which was put together without much thought. It was free test rides at a fully prepped national level MX track. Guys were showing up with 10 year old helmets, jeans, flanny and work boots, and hitting the track. Bikes were getting cartwheeled left, right and centre, and guys would get off the track from riding one bike and line up again to ride a different bike. I dont think Honda would have sold one bike solely due to that launch/come and try day, and it would have cost them a fortune to put it on. At least KTM have it right the way they are running their launch days. My opinion, you wanna play, you gotta pay

:thumbsup:

Another thing is, this sport doesn't get half the advertisement bowling or darts and little sports like that get, let alone something like football or so on. Yeah I'm sure alot of people know what dirt bikes are, but they don't see enough of them to get interested, the just see a 30 second Honda commercial here or there and don't ever notice it.

Too many people are going the easy way now, and training there kids to ride quads!! And they are getting lazier and doing the same thing themselves etc.. The cost of offroad bikes is getting a little on the high side.. Plus the overall economy for the last 5 years has not really encouraged people to go out and buy Bikes for themselves or kids either.. We need a turn around in the economy and more redily availble cheaper bikes for the entry level.. Good example would be the New Honda 250L. Cheap and street legal and a little dirt worthy.. Thats what I started on was a xr250l.. And I still own it today..

I have an extra bike and will take other people out anytime they want.. Its nice to see some more T.V coverage of the Mx racing this year!! And it would be nice to see the outdoor schedule televised as well..

Myself and a few freinds with kids were out on the weekend at a large River area etc.. Only place to really ride this time of year. Saw quite a few younger kids on bikes and families out enjoying the sun and sand and motorsports.. Was nice to see actually .. Not sure how to get more involved other than inviting your freinds out to ride and their kids etc.. Just my thoughts! :ride:

people just have the mindset that dirt bikes are cool but I'll just ride a quad because its fun and they go 140 miles an hour dawg.

LOL jk...

I would love to see more people in the sport and your right even where I ride their is no easy trails for people to practice on. I let my friend race one of my bike because he used to race minis and was good rider but it just cost to much. He know works a good job and makes good grades because of his parents. Bikes are a great thing but money is even better to some people, Oh well quads4life homie :smashpc:

make it cheaper

make it cheaper

its already cheap , you can get a used bike and gear for 2000-3000 dollars and it will cost you 10-20 for gas for the weekend you cant get any cheaper than that .

i ride 1000cc superbikes on track every day out on track around 800-1000 dollars , it tires, track time and fuel , if you have a small crash it will cost 1000-2000 minimum to fix the bike

so dont complain about dirt bikes they are free to ride compared to anything else

I've taught five kids to ride this year. That is where it starts. Some of these kids we teach to ride will be our senators and congress and make the rules we ride by. Some will be owners of large companies that sponsers the sport or race teams. Maybe one of these kids we teach to ride will be our first dirt biking president. Things would really change then...

So, someone said, "If you wanna play, you gotta pay". I think part of the problem is HOW MUCH you have to pay - for a bike that won't be raced. I don't know much about the Honda 250L but I always thought a bike with modern, long travel suspension and a bullet-proof motor like an XR-250r would suit 98% of the buyers. A CRF would work as a play bike..UNTIL the sketchy maintenence catches up with the "hobbiest" owner and...BOOM. He's out of the sport, probably for good. He never really needed a RACE bike, just a competent off-road bike. When the word gets out that they are "maintenence-intensive", he and his friends and relatives will never buy another one.

To me, In some ways i want more people in this sport, in other ways I don't.

It would be cool because there would be more places to ride, but at the same time, those places would be ghetto from so many people riding them.

Also, there are definitely people that i just don't want to be in there.

I really think advertising is a huge part of it. Short of what you see in moto mags you very rarely see a KTM or like wise ad in a outdoor magazine.

So, someone said, "If you wanna play, you gotta pay". I think part of the problem is HOW MUCH you have to pay - for a bike that won't be raced. I don't know much about the Honda 250L but I always thought a bike with modern, long travel suspension and a bullet-proof motor like an XR-250r would suit 98% of the buyers. A CRF would work as a play bike..UNTIL the sketchy maintenence catches up with the "hobbiest" owner and...BOOM. He's out of the sport, probably for good. He never really needed a RACE bike, just a competent off-road bike. When the word gets out that they are "maintenence-intensive", he and his friends and relatives will never buy another one.

Absolutely, but……. ego and testosterone get in the mix and boom, common sense goes bust. Common sense tells us a KLX250S will get the same places at a much lower cost as a KTM500EXC, but ego tells us the KTM500EXC is a man’s bike and the power is my power.

As distasteful and double standard as it seems, if there were more “made in the USA” tags on motorcycles and motorcycle products, there would be more interest from on high (DC) and fewer road blocks to the dirt………….

Edited by youngztr

I really think advertising is a huge part of it. Short of what you see in moto mags you very rarely see a KTM or like wise ad in a outdoor magazine.

advertising does not make me want to play baseball, basketball, or football.

the selfish part of me wants less people involved in this activity but we need more riders that get involved in trying to keep trails open. the less advocacy - the more the trails will be shut down.

Advertising does not make me want to drink alcohol or smoke cigarettes or drive Chevys. Advertising in itself will make the magazine money, but not preserve the sport. What the sport needs is more positive awareness of the sport through out the community. That comes from the people who are in the sport being ambassadors for the sport and promoting the sport as best they can on a community level.

advertising does not make me want to play baseball, basketball, or football.

the selfish part of me wants less people involved in this activity but we need more riders that get involved in trying to keep trails open. the less advocacy - the more the trails will be shut down.

Maybe not directly, but......what of your friend sees a advertisement and buys a football, amd asks you to come over and play? Your more incline to go if he has the football vs not. Eventually you might want your own football to play with other people and then you buy your own. Advertising works, ask Redbull. They sell millions of cans of Redbull not only because people want it but BECAUSE the also host some incredible events. Events as stupid as Flugtog (spelling). The cycle is reciprocating. More events, more bikes sold, more events, more bikes sold.........Manufacturers are doing virtually NOTHING outside the sport itself!

We have a severe lack of affordable places to ride. I don't mind paying to ride, but if I'm going to have to pony up $50/head for membership and $25/day, that's a $300 outlay for me and my family to ride. If your track sucks, that's a huge investment on my part for some place I'm never going back to.

There was a track that was $15/year, but it was far enough that you could really only ride there on a weekend minimum. Yeah, per year! But unfortunately it was closed a year ago.

Trying to get access to private property is just as bad, the land owners are concerned someone is going to sue them for all they're worth, and they have reason to be concerned.

The best thing I think you can do is increase awareness of any legal places to ride to people who are respectful and reasonable and don't associate at all with 'tards. They're screwing the pooch too.

A few important things to do to encourage others to join us out ther on the track & trail.

* Be respectful of others when we ride. Even shutting it off while letting hikers or horses past.

* Keep the noise to a minimum.

* Clean up our riding areas. Fill up an extra bag with others trash before we leave.

* Get involved with trail up-keep.

* Take a youngster out for the day. Involve him/her the best you can.

* Be friendly and set a great overall example to the non riding public.

* Leave old copies of dirt bike magazines everywhere you can. Doctors/ dentist offices, break rooms etc...)

It has to be easier to get into for people to want to do it.

You need #1 places to ride. A 1/2 mile loop of a 12' wide track, no jumps just rolling hills. Some TTR or XR's and a rack full of donated gear. A place for families to picnic, etc.

You don't always have to cater to experienced riders.

A few important things to do to encourage others to join us out ther on the track & trail.

* Be respectful of others when we ride. Even shutting it off while letting hikers or horses past.

* Keep the noise to a minimum.

* Clean up our riding areas. Fill up an extra bag with others trash before we leave.

* Get involved with trail up-keep.

* Take a youngster out for the day. Involve him/her the best you can.

* Be friendly and set a great overall example to the non riding public.

* Leave old copies of dirt bike magazines everywhere you can. Doctors/ dentist offices, break rooms etc...)

I like the idea on the magazines I find my self putting them in the recycling bin, but I will now pass them on to other readers.