Sign in to follow this  

Help! 96 yz250 tranny problems

Hi all, I recently bought a 96 yz250 and it is my first bike! Very excited to finally have a bike of my own. When I bought it the PO said he had just put a new trans in the bike (he also told me it was a 98) and that it needed a new clutch and a carb rebuild. Got it for $500 so I thought I got a great deal even though it isn't the prettiest bike in the world. Im pretty mechanically inclined so i figured I could handle a 2-stroke. I cleaned the carb and the bike fired right up, and has 240psi compression so it runs pretty strong but I think its still a little lean. Anyways, the clutch did need some work but it ended up just being a washer that was left out, However before i fixed the clutch i was in such a hurry to ride that i did so without clutch, I adjusted it all the way out hoping that it would disengage and it slipped enough i could start in first with careful throttle control, IK bad idea. By the end of the ride first gear was acting weird it seamed to jump around like it wasn't all the way in gear or popping out of gear. Before the second ride I had the clutch fixed and adjusted properly, but during the second ride i had to keep the bike out of first gear or it would lock up tight, the shifter wouldn't budge and the tranny was locked up. with a little gas and some upwards pressure on the shifter it would free up and come out of first. I thought for sure i had sheared a tooth off one of the gears that makes up first but i just got the cases apart and cant find anything wrong. The only thing i have found out of place was the bushing on the shift shaft was just loose in the case. could this really be my only problem? since i have the cases apart I dont want to put it all back together and find i didnt fix anything. Any input would be greatly appreciated.download.jpgdownload (1).jpg

Sorry about the tiny pictures lol, first post... I cant seem to figure out how to re-size the pictures. The first pic is of the end of the shift shaft and the second is of the bushing that should be on post in the oblong hole in the shift shaft. I will continue to try to re-size the pics and if any

other pics would help let me know. Thanks again tt-er's

Sorry about the tiny pictures lol, first post... I cant seem to figure out how to re-size the pictures. The first pic is of the end of the shift shaft and the second is of the bushing that should be on post in the oblong hole in the shift shaft. I will continue to try to re-size the pics and if any

other pics would help let me know. Thanks again tt-er's

I'm having the same issue with my 96 yz250, did you happen to discover the issue?