'13 CRF 450 Engine question...

I usually get a new bike every year, but I'm balls deep in this '13 CRF 450 (trying to make it like my '12 KX450F from last year). I'm craving some more ponies in the engine (to make it remotely in the same stratosphere as the Kawi's). My question to my fellow TT'ers is...

I have a Dual Yosh now. The guy at the local shop said wait for the Yosh chip to go with the pipes, and that should do the trick. I know the chip is going to be around $300...Should I just spend the extra 200-300 and get a 'hot cam' or something like that?

BTW....my new rims from KSR!

24452_472537119477799_1927823765_n.jpg

Should have just got the 13 zook like me! Everyone I've talked to says the crf lacks in the power department, I'd get the yosh chip if I put a pipe on my bike just my 2¢.

I agree that the 2013 CRF450 feels a little lame with the stock mufflers but as soon as I mounted the Yoshi system the hole powerband came alive. I raced the 2012 YZ450F last year and that bike has a reputation of having a pretty strong motor. With this yoshi system mounted I feel like the CRF450 is pretty close to what the YZ450F motor feels like. But I pretty sure that Yoshi chip will make it even better.

But I don´t really understand why peolple suddenly think this CRF450 motor is slow NOW ! Hey the CRF450 motor has been mellow ever since it got Fuel Injection back in 2009 ! And I can promise you that the 2013 CRF450 feels definitly stronger that what the 2009-2012 motor felt like ! And it seems to be more responsive to changes such as exhaust, cams etc,etc...

But I do know that the Kawi 450 motor is very very strong in stock mode... but question is: Will you go faster on it with a motor like that ? Will you get tired earlier than on the CRF450 ?

I have made the same transition from 2012 KX450F, And to be honest, I dont miss that arm tearing power of that crazy thing. I am in love with the more mellow CRF POWER. Even with the stock exhaust. It could use just a little harder hit going through the mid.

For the most part, I am way more comfortable on the lighter, less beefy more nimble CRF.

And.... Lap times are down, what can I say!!!

I have made the same transition from 2012 KX450F, And to be honest, I dont miss that arm tearing power of that crazy thing. I am in love with the more mellow CRF POWER. Even with the stock exhaust. It could use just a little harder hit going through the mid.

For the most part, I am way more comfortable on the lighter, less beefy more nimble CRF.

And.... Lap times are down, what can I say!!!

This is the reason for the switch (at least for me). I figured with the bike weighing significantly less, and it being a better cornering machine would equal lower lap times. The thing I notice on this bike, is I have to shift A LOT more than I did with my Kawi. I guess I'll wait for the Yosh chip, and go from there. I've got too much money into this bike to get a '14 now.

Yosh Pipe

Magura Hydraulic clutch

Rims

Braking rotors (front/ rear)

Suspension by EVO

The list goes on and on....

Should have just got the 13 zook like me! Everyone I've talked to says the crf lacks in the power department, I'd get the yosh chip if I put a pipe on my bike just my 2¢.

No douibt, the Zuk is a great bike this year....but as we all know, its the Indian not the arrow :) I've gotten smoked by guys on a clapped out 250's.

i put a cam in mine, tried a duel exhaust, it was good, then i switched to a single fmf, now its hauls ass. And it is 4 lbs lighter than stock. I did my homework, talked to the right people, i live and ride in socal, and the overall conclusion is ditch the duels, single make more and better power. I rode it the first time last weekend and it is the best motor, honda, I have ever ridden. Just as powerfull as any kx, period. Dont be fooled by magazines or other sheep. Slap on a single, whoever, maybe a cam, up to you, and remap, thats it.

Edited by DEGBTI

i put a cam in mine, tried a duel exhaust, it was good, then i switched to a single fmf, now its hauls ass. And it is 4 lbs lighter than stock. I did my homework, talked to the right people, i live and ride in socal, and the overall conclusion is ditch the duels, single make more and better power. I rode it the first time last weekend and it is the best motor, honda, I have ever ridden. Just as powerfull as any kx, period. Dont be fooled by magazines or other sheep. Slap on a single, whoever, maybe a cam, up to you, and remap, thats it.

where did you get the single fmf from?

DEGBTI,

Thanks for the reply. Can you please tell me the exact set-up you are running? Where did you get that single pipe from....FMF? Do they sell them yet?

As far as the Yosh chip is concerned...It would work best with their product, not a new pipe from a different company (like FMF).

I just called FMF (the guy sounded like he didnt know what was going on) about the single exhaust. He said they just have the slip on for the '13, not a full system...I guess you have a buddy somewhere that hooked you up with a system. The only pro that I know that is running a single on a '13 is Jimmy Albertyson.

right off FMF website,

Item ID: 041495 RCT aluminum slip on

Item ID: 041492 Ti Mega Bomb

thats all I did, if you go to thier site and read the text,

We have a variety of pre-configured systems to choose from, but not every option is sold as a system. If you want a little more flexibility, use this tool to build a system for your bike. You can choose a preconfigured system, or design your own by selecting both a header and a muffler.

jimmy albertson, vince friese, jake oswalt, all using this set up, not the duels, what does that tell you? only riders with honda support are running duels

also, i have a crower cam and remap, 55 hp, smooth strong power all the wat to the top. i rode four different set up so far,

stock system, 10 lbs

fmf single aluminum RCT muffler and ti megabomb, 6.2 lbs

stock, good

duel slip ons, really good, great throttle response, but loud, for me anyway, and heavy

cam with duels and remap, better than above

cam, remap and back to stock exhaust, nice smooth and quiet

cam, remap fmf single, fricken bad ass, awesome low but mid is very very kx like, just perfect, top is good too, but overall the best combo for me anyway. I go back and fourth between my 12 and 13 to this point cause they are both really good in thier own ways. Now, the 12 is getting parked, no comparison anymore. All the 13 needed for me anyway was that mid power my friends all have been enjoying on thier kx's for the last few years.

Edited by DEGBTI

right off FMF website,

thats all I did, if you go tro thier site and read the text,

We have a variety of pre-configured systems to choose from, but not every option is sold as a system. If you want a little more flexibility, use this tool to build a system for your bike. You can choose a preconfigured system, or design your own by selecting both a header and a muffler.

jimmy albertson, vince friese, jake oswalt, all using this set up, not the duels, what does that tell you? only riders with honda support are running duels

good idea. not that it really matters, but how does the empty left side look without a muffler?

i think im going with the single also.

Which re-map did you get for the specific fmf pipe...? Thx man

right off FMF website,

thats all I did, if you go to thier site and read the text,

also, i have a crower cam and remap, 55 hp, smooth strong power all the wat to the top. i rode four different set up so far,

stock system, 10 lbs

fmf single aluminum RCT muffler and ti megabomb, 6.2 lbs

stock, good

duel slip ons, really good, great throttle response, but loud, for me anyway, and heavy

cam with duels and remap, better than above

cam, remap and back to stock exhaust, nice smooth and quiet

cam, remap fmf single, fricken bad ass, awesome low but mid is very very kx like, just perfect, top is good too, but overall the best combo for me anyway. I go back and fourth between my 12 and 13 to this point cause they are both really good in thier own ways. Now, the 12 is getting parked, no comparison anymore. All the 13 needed for me anyway was that mid power my friends all have been enjoying on thier kx's for the last few years.

Is the Crower cam a regrind, do you send the OEM cam?

Edited by nesc103y

yes, it is a re-grind, i had crower install it as well as remap it, on a dyno, he is in temecula if you are in socal. i actually had him map it with the duels, not the fmf, but he said it fine for either.

last, call dr d and ask them how testing went for them. they have customers who had already bought duels, rode the singe and immediately put their duels on craigslist to get the single

I highly recommend a remap. I sent my box in to Tokyo Mods and the difference with stock pipes is phenomenal. I just received my twin Rocket Exhaust, so I am hoping to get a little more pop with those also. Tokyo Mods also has a same day turn around.

I'll have to give Tokyo Mods a call today. I'm thinking about listing my dual Yosh on ebay, and getting the single cannister from FMF or Dr. D.... I wish the manufacturers of pipes would post graphs on how much gains/ HP their pipes make over stock :/ I'ma visual guy...lol

cycra doesn't make a flat left sideplate yet for those that wish to run singles?? Or acerbis?? or UFO?? or Polisport?? They are missing the boat!!

I'll have to give Tokyo Mods a call today. I'm thinking about listing my dual Yosh on ebay, and getting the single cannister from FMF or Dr. D.... I wish the manufacturers of pipes would post graphs on how much gains/ HP their pipes make over stock :/ I'ma visual guy...lol

if you do shoot me a pm first $ with shipping

But then guys like me, Dave from MRD and others would call them out on thier BS. :smirk:

Not to mention that the miniscule increases would be reflected directly against the collosal price tags.

If you want a pro levell engine thats eazyer to ride i have the components the majority of the factory bikes make 60+ hp and are eazyer to ride than a stocker.