Sign in to follow this  

yz 125 12-49?

So i ordered a chain for this year riding however i did not order sprockets and i want to gear my.bike down a bit for some better torque on technical parts of trails so is 12-49 too much i figured if i took a tooth off the front and added one to the back the stock chain will still fit right? Bc other that i was just gonna put a 12 tooth in the front but idk if my chain would need to be shortened

So i ordered a chain for this year riding however i did not order sprockets and i want to gear my.bike down a bit for some better torque on technical parts of trails so is 12-49 too much i figured if i took a tooth off the front and added one to the back the stock chain will still fit right? Bc other that i was just gonna put a 12 tooth in the front but idk if my chain would need to be shortened

Is 13/48 stock on yours?

12/49 ~= 13/53. That's like 5 teeth more than you have now on the rear. I think that sounds too low.

Is it really a concern to move the rear wheel half a chain link back? Not sure how much that effects handling.

That's way to low if your stock gearing is 13/48. You're just going to spin the tire in 1st and 2nd gear. Assuming 13/48 as stock I would only suggest going up 1 or 2t in the back at most and work on your skill set.

Edited by kan3

Also, a 12 tooth is too hard on the chain and can cause problems related to the extreme angles the chain has to turn to go around the sprocker. Yes, they DO sell them, even 11 tooth I think but not the best idea.