Sign in to follow this  

Supercross Chad Reed and the forks

in an mxa mini view Chad said he knew the problem that needs fixing but is trying to get a politiclly correct way to fix it. My hunch its the airforks and he needs hondas permission to revert to his old set up. not good for marketing if they get trashed by one of their stars

If that's the case I thinks it's BS

The guys should be able to run what they feel is the best setup for them. Hoever I think it's something else. The race team runs Showa and the stock bikes have KYB

Edited by meyermetal
  • Like 1

They should be able to run what they want, but Honda is notorious for making them run what Honda wants. Possibly other brands too, so I'm not just singleing out Honda here. Just think if Yamaha would have allowed them to use the WR450 modded up instead of the backwards engined YZ. This would most certainly put a strain on the marketing department!!!

The manufactures claim air forks are 2lbd lighter than spring forks. If that carries over to the factory bikes I can see guys having issues with the front end

Two pounds less weight on the front tire is a lot

• Like 1

They have a fundamental problem with a bike with air forks. They lightened the foremost end of the bike by pounds and did not move any of the central mass weight forward to compensate. If they dial in those forks as best they can on an unbalanced bike then think how good they will be when they get the rest of the bike dialed in for them. Personally I'd cut the bars down a little because the reduced weight reduces feedback and the muscle to control it and pull the bars back to force the rider to shift his weight forward to compensate. It sounds backwards but if a guy hits his arse on the very back of the seat often then pulling his bars back forces him forward. It works.

That light end dancing around right now is killing them.

The manufactures claim air forks are 2lbd lighter than spring forks. If that carries over to the factory bikes I can see guys having issues with the front end

I wondered if this would come up as in issue. If the Yamaha handling was an issue because of a lack weight on the front end I would have to think the loss of two pounds on just the front end has to present some balance issues. It does seem like Canard and Barcia have it figured out though.

Edited by wes513v

He has been going back and forth between the spring forks and air during testing to get the same feel. Barcia and Canard are further along with the forks because they have a lot more testong time on them. Reed tested with them a week before the MEC then went to Australia and rode spring forks in their supercross series for a month while Honda did all their testing. Now he is behind and Honda isn't testing the way he needs them to.

Maybe Canard and Barcia just don't know any better compared to Reed. And how does anyone even know its the forks, we are all just assuming.....

Just ask the Yamaha guys right?
  • Like 2

He has been going back and forth between the spring forks and air during testing to get the same feel. Barcia and Canard are further along with the forks because they have a lot more testong time on them. Reed tested with them a week before the MEC then went to Australia and rode spring forks in their supercross series for a month while Honda did all their testing. Now he is behind and Honda isn't testing the way he needs them to.

You're hilarious with your repeating like an expert with the shit you have from Vital. Not one person in the industry has access to all the camps you try to act like an expert on :bonk: :bonk: :bonk: Edited by TroyLee_Roosta
  • Like 2

And how does anyone even know its the forks, we are all just assuming.....

I've read from multiple sources that both RV & CR are having issues getting the air fork dialed in. I would have to think there is some validity to it.

You're hilarious with your repeating like an expert with the shit you have from Vital. Not one person in the industry has access to all the camps you try to act like an expert on :bonk: :bonk: :bonk:

Why do you get so butt hurt every time I post? I didn't read anywhere on Vital what I just wrote, my friend works at Showa and has worked with RV and Reed both sinse the switch to air. What the &%$#@! is wrong with that?

• Like 1

Why do you get so butt hurt every time I post? I didn't read anywhere on Vital what I just wrote, my friend works at Showa and has worked with RV and Reed both sinse the switch to air. What the &%$#@! is wrong with that?

Who's but hurt? You're the but of the jokes round here. Never once does I don't know come out of your mouth, you claim to have access to EVERYONE & it's just funny.

Who's but hurt? You're the but of the jokes round here. Never once does I don't know come out of your mouth, you claim to have access to EVERYONE & it's just funny.

I know and talk to a lot of people, sorry that bugs you guys.

You're hilarious with your repeating like an expert with the shit you have from Vital. Not one person in the industry has access to all the camps you try to act like an expert on :bonk: :bonk: :bonk:

This thread was going great until you chimed in, why do these threads alway go this way, who cares what is posted by other people, does it really bother you that bad?

I read somewhere that Reed was switching back and forth as well during practice

• Like 4

The manufactures claim air forks are 2lbd lighter than spring forks. If that carries over to the factory bikes I can see guys having issues with the front end Two pounds less weight on the front tire is a lot
now its a big deal? huum... ohhhh wait... its not away to bash bubba so its now not an issue!

That’s pretty much common knowledge though. he has rode with the spring forks in ama practice and has been very vocal about the changes needed to happen. the rest of his post was just piecing it together. while i agree with him on it... i don't think that he has intimate knowledge of this as fact. its more his take on what is going on based on the public info given out.

in some ways i think that him switching back and forth can help him, but i think its a bigger hindrance than anything. If he would just pick a setup and make it work I feel he will get down the road faster. Kinda the same as js when he was on yami… while the bike sucked I think he could have done better if he did like davi did and just learn to ride the bike with small changes. If you chase a rainbow eventually you have to come to the idea you will never find it. How long will reed chase it before he realizes he can just make one with a water hose?

Edited by T-Doshi9
  • Like 1

This thread was going great until you chimed in, why do these threads alway go this way, who cares what is posted by other people, does it really bother you that bad?

I read somewhere that Reed was switching back and forth as well during practice

Pot, meet kettle, kettle meet pot :bonk: :bonk: :bonk: :bonk: was even better till you came along :thumbsup: