Sign in to follow this  

1990 YZ490 MODS

Hello every one I love reading all the articles here! I 1990 YZ 490 I'm in the process of restoring Its my favorite bike! I've had a few and now I have another can't wait until its done! I'd like to get any suggestions for mods! It has some its bored 30 over trannys been redone and I'm sending my head and cylinder off to eric in a couple weeks! I will post new pics as I get things done. Thanks Jeff

0810122040a.jpg

Edited by jeffsyz490
  • Like 1

my buddy has one, 84 ish maybe 86. That thing is pig rich down low and lean up top. ( needs jetting). It's a beast

Yes the low end is nasty and I have the top end there too it pulls hard all through out the power band! It does not hesitate at all! Just that ping But thats getting fixed soon like my 83 490 done by Eric Gorr!

New plastics are here and seat cover and tank sicker ordered wrong tank sticker for a 88 but it will work for now change that when I order my new tank! I will post pics soon!

My daughter helping! She loves dirt bikes too!

0821122035.jpg

0827121859.jpg

0823121329.jpg

0904121058.jpg

Edited by jeffsyz490
  • Like 1

New fenders side plates and front number plate. Painted gas tank for now and triple tree and clear coated the lower forks. New seat at the end of the week.

• Like 1

Was going to have my buddys shop do the seat cover this week I couldnt wait it came out pretty good and stuck the 88 tank stickers on! Cant wait to buy the stock tank!

0123131155.jpg

0123131153.jpg

Edited by jeffsyz490

That brings back memories of my 87. I loved that bike. It was the first bike that I started riding at motocross tracks. I was not that good of a rider at the time. That bike would roost so hard that I could repel people from trying to pass me. It is not a bike you want to be behind. Enjoy looks like a nice bike.

• Like 1

That brings back memories of my 87. I loved that bike. It was the first bike that I started riding at motocross tracks. I was not that good of a rider at the time. That bike would roost so hard that I could repel people from trying to pass me. It is not a bike you want to be behind. Enjoy looks like a nice bike.

Thank! I know for sure people will hate being behind me!

Well I guess I'm going to start stripping her down and get the frame painted and rear shock rebuilt just ordered the stuff to rebuild it from race tech! There the only ones that have the blatter and all the seals and bumper. Plus ordered the stock tank and 1990 tank decals! I will post as i progress might be awhile cause I'm going to send the cylinder and head out to Eric Gorr's Forward Motion!

Edited by jeffsyz490

I had a 84,if I can remember the slide has to be cut,or maybe replacement along with needle and jetting and air box work,4 speed trany , I think I went up 3-4 teeth on back,