Drive Sprocket Cover: Did You Remove Yours?

I realize that it provides a little protection, but given that it also likes to trap in dirt/leaves/weeds/etc, I have to remove it every time I wash the bike to really clean the drive sprocket. Given that I see so many riding without one, I am wondering if I am the only one who has left it on. ?

Did you remove your drive sprocket cover?

Thanks, guys. I was striking out looking for one, as I was searching for 'drive chain guide' as Honda calls it and of course coming up with the chain guide for the rear. "Case Saver" pulled up just what the doctor ordered.

I like what little protection the stock cover provides from side-impact/roots/sticks/etc, but I've grown tired of all the crap collecting in there and having to remove it constantly, so that hammerhead moves to the top of the list. ?

Thanks again.

I may give this one a try...but reading A LOT about people breaking off the lower post on the case and having to replace their case as a result of chain bunch/throwing a chain while using just the case saver without the stock guard, as there is a lot of space between the save and chain but none with the stock crap. Interesting.

case-saver_zpsd5a77852.jpg

I realize that it provides a little protection, but given that it also likes to trap in dirt/leaves/weeds/etc, I have to remove it every time I wash the bike to really clean the drive sprocket. Given that I see so many riding without one, I am wondering if I am the only one who has left it on. ?

Did you remove your drive sprocket cover?

Tossed my cover after the first ride. I kept the metal case saver.

JayC

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I may give this one a try...but reading A LOT about people breaking off the lower post on the case and having to replace their case as a result of chain bunch/throwing a chain while using just the case saver without the stock guard, as there is a lot of space between the save and chain but none with the stock crap. Interesting.

case-saver_zpsd5a77852.jpg

Still just a shiny mudtrap. The stock casesaver is all that is needed and free.

Still just a shiny mudtrap. The stock casesaver is all that is needed and free.

I disgagree...no room between the case, the case saver/sprocket cover, and the chain...and the dirt will be ejected out the larger holes. I'm optimistic. ?

Since you have spent the money I hope you are right. Your dirt is probably more intelligent than our Texas stuff and knows where to go. Ours is cowboy dumb and just gets all wadded up. In any case, it sure is purty! ?

...was stationed at Fort Hood for a number of year, so I know a thing or two about that cowboy dumb dirt, sir (and chiggers!). ?

...and also the first to admit when I am wrong. Well, I am sort of wrong. It doesn't collect anywhere near as much as the stock cover, but by the end of the day, it did start to collect...though lots was ejected out the large holes.

I apologize for disagreeing, sir, as you were more right than I was wrong. :worthy:

What I do like about it, though (and this could be the money I pissed away talking), is the shorter posts and the material itself...thinking it will offer some give when I throw a chain and then snap off cleanly without cracking the case. However, I am already questioning my decsion to get the sprocket cover version and not just the regular case saver. Sure, it reduced the amount of junk collected by 60%, but I will have to pull it off when washing.

Yep, just collects mud, so I took it off not long after I bought the bike.

Sometimes I hop on the bike for a quick spin after I wash it when I am wearing jeans. My fear is that someday my jeans might get sucked in there. So, if you took it off, watch what you are wearing.