Upgrade from ttr125L?

Ive owned a ttr 125l for years and I'm wanting to upgrade to a bigger 4 stroke with more power. I'm 5'11 ish and 130lbs I masterd the ttr and it just got to small for me. I trail ride a lot love hill climbing but I also live in country so I have a lot of open feilds to rip in and hit top speed what is the best step ul? I've been looking at crf230s and crf250x and the ttr230 but I dont know if there's anyother bikes that are better for what I do. any help?

The 230 is going to be essentially the same as your 125, a big heavy slug. I'd go try out a 250x or a wr250, they're a little more reliable then their mx counterpart and will be lighter then a ttr with a lot more power, better suspension and a light. Couldn't go wrong with one.

Agreed ^ I would go for the crf250x or the wr250 as well. You would get bored of the power of a crf230 or a ttr230 in no time. Have you considered a 2 stroke?

WR250f, for sure. I own a crf250x. It's a big no-no. Valves go bad in a hurry. Yamaha is the most reliable 4 stroke out there though. And with a little bit of modification, a wr250f can get ALOT more power. (Change throttle stop, new slip-on exhaust, grey or pink wire mod)

Get a WR, they have really nice suspension as well. My friend has an 09, great bike.

its tough.. I've considerd two strokes but I've never ownes one my ttr never had problems I'm not sure how two strokes are and I don't much care for there sound I like the lobey throaty sound of 4 strokes and does the crf250x have a light?

its tough.. I've considerd two strokes but I've never ownes one my ttr never had problems I'm not sure how two strokes are and I don't much care for there sound I like the lobey throaty sound of 4 strokes and does the crf250x have a light?

Oh ok. Yeah the 250x has a front and rear light I believe. Well if you're gonna stick with 4 strokes then either the 250x or the wr250 would be my choice.

I like the 250x I hope I can find one there's bone on craigslist right now

I like the 250x I hope I can find one there's bone on craigslist right now

Just keep checking daily, somethings bound to pop up.

the only bad thing I've heard about the 250x is they seem to be rebuild a lot... I don't race my bike ill open it up on country roads but never hard core race will I have to rebuild it a lot?

If you plan on buying a new bike, then i assume either the CRF250X or the WR250F would be a good choice...BUT..if you're going to buy a used bike, be extremely careful, because as it was aforementioned, being smaller 4 stroke engines, they need pretty high revs and the engine might be pretty "cooked". You better take a mechanic or someone who is really into motocross/enduro bikes before buying one. Check for any signs of major usage, strange noises of the engine (you can do this by covering the exhaust with your palm for a few seconds and listen carefully), check if it has compression etc.

Other than that, statistically, i've seen more people complaining about the crf250x than the wr250f. Good luck on making your choice and ride safe! :ride:

2 strokes are cheaper to run and easier and less expensive to fix and maintain. Most of what needs to be done to a 2 stroke can be done in a garage with a manual and a good buddy with some understanding where a 4 stroke requires a ton of valve checks, valve shimming and needs a ton of parts to be replaced all the time. If you mistreat a 4 stroke it will blow and cost you $1500+.

A WR or a CRF-X however will be a bit more reliable then the regular motocross bike. They put out a bit less power and are more geared for the trail. They do have lights but will still need a bit of maintance and regular valve checks. They are just a little more reliable then their race counterpart while still carrying over top quality components like suspension and breaking.

If you're looking for something cheap to run a 125 2 stroke is a great choice, they're very fun bikes, light and quick and are very cheap to run.