california inspection

Moved from Maryland to California. Will my DRZ pass the California inspection with the Edge turn signals and MRD/SSW exhaust ? Any other things to worry about concerning getting my DRZ registered in the Great State of California. Thanks !!!

Many states require a verification of serial numbers to transfer title from out of state. I really do not know if CA does any equipment compliance checks. I suspect you will be fine unless you have a dual sported E model. Then you are probably screwed.

• Like 1

I may not have much mechanical knowledge, but I certainly have a good deal of California DMV knowldge...

There is no inspection on motorcycles (or cars for that matter) in Cali. Cars need to pass a smog, but I have never been asked for a smog on any motorcycle I have ever registered at the DMV. If it had a license plate on it in Maryland, your all good here too (even if it was an E). Main thing is you will have to pay sales tax on the bike again.

I used to have a Honda XR400r with a license plate on it and did lots of research about California law and putting license plates on off road vehicles. The way it works is prior to 2004, you could get most off road vehicles registered for street use and get a license plate as long as the bike had a horn, turn signals, kill switch, ect... In January 2004, they stopped allowing this for reasons I'm not sure why (probably because the DMV is lazy and didn't feel like doing all the paper work for these dual sport conversions). Here's where a lot of people get confused and I see it all the time on Craigslist, "this bike is a 2002, it's currently not street legal, but since its a 2002 you can put a license plate on it at th DMV." This is false, and I feel sorry for anybody who doesn't do their research and falls for this false claim. If a dirtbike was converted and issued a license plate by the DMV prior to 2004, it is "grandfathered" in and basically has its license plate for life. Just because your dirtbike is older then 2004 DOES NOT QUALIFY IT FOR A LICENCE PLATE. ~Loophole~ (and this is where I explain why it doesn't matter if your DRZ is an off road E model) I'm pretty sure that in some of the surrounding states such as Nevada and Oregon you can still put license plates on dirtbikes...so, if your bike is plated in Nevada and its a 2008, you can bring it to California and basically just pay the sales tax again and get California plates put on it. I have a feeling in most cases they dont even know these were dirtbike conversions, they just see that its a motorcycle and is street legal in another state.So since you are from Maryland, as long as it has a valid license plate on it, current registration, matching VIN numbers on all your paperwork, and money to pay the sales tax...you will Jedi your way straight through the DMV!

As for the turn signals and MRD you will be fine, I have the edge tail light on my bike and a loud yoshi pipe...I even have all of the California emission bullshit taken off...the only people that might give you a hard time about the exhaust are the cops, but I highly doubt it...they have much bigger fish to fry and your uncorked DRZ is still quiter then most sport bikes and straight piped harleys.

Welcome to Cali! :cheers:

• Like 1

Novato...just north of SF

i just a bit further in east santa rosa, i have some good riding spots up here.

as for inspections......the vin verification is the most important, but it also depends on which DMV location you go to, some are more lax then others

Haha just realized jawknee was asking OP where he moved to, I got excited :blush:

707drz- I just moved down here from petaluma last month, pm me if you wanna ride sometime!

sounds good. maybe next time im down there i'll PM you. i'm in petaluma often. my good buddy lives down the street from McNears.

I have brought 3 bikes in and all they look at is the vin and cert sticker. If the vin is wrong or not recognized and/or the cert is missing you will need have it researched by the CHP and most likely end up with a "special construction" title. I know just because it has a out of state plate plate doesn't mean you will get a Calif. plate. Seldom do they look at the lights, pipes, ect., but they sure could if they feel like it or ya piss them off.

I have brought 3 bikes in and all they look at is the vin and cert sticker. If the vin is wrong or not recognized and/or the cert is missing you will need have it researched by the CHP and most likely end up with a "special construction" title. I know just because it has a out of state plate plate doesn't mean you will get a Calif. plate. Seldom do they look at the lights, pipes, ect., but they sure could if they feel like it or ya piss them off.

Well yea if your VIN numbers don't match, your gunna have some issues. I had to deal with the CHP inspection on a salvaged CBR600F4 I bought...what a TERRIBLE experience that was. Lesson learned: don't buy a salvaged bike.

Main thing is you will have to pay sales tax on the bike again.

Why would you have to pay sales tax again? That doesn't make sense. I successfully transferred an AZ street plated dirt bike to CA without having to pay any more sales tax.

Why would you have to pay sales tax again? That doesn't make sense. I successfully transferred an AZ street plated dirt bike to CA without having to pay any more sales tax.

Really? What year did you transfer the AZ dirtbike? When I moved from NY they made me pay sales tax because people were buying vehicles from out of state and registering them here to avoid paying tax.

For someone who just moved into the state, the sales tax only applies if you purchased the bike in the last 365 days. Anything older than that does not get the sales tax fee. It least

that's how I read it.

http://www.dmv.ca.go...howto/htvr9.htm

Edited by buddoggin

To discurage purchase of out of state new venicles, the vehicle has to be owned for a year or more to skip sales tax and it has to have a certain nuber of miles on the odo. 7000 I think. None of this is going to apply to -icecold-.

And I remain skeptical that you can transfer title and street license into CA just because it has a plate in aonother state. Do you think CA would transfer my WA license on my 99 KTM 300 2 stroke? I doubt it.