The old choke plate trick

I've read the spring in the flapper breaks after fluttering at very high rpm. I don't abuse my motor, figured no problem.

1998 XR400 with a lot of use over the last 10 years, while doing a full top end rebuild I checked again and sure enough it's broken and a little piece missing. That's bad because it gets sucked into the motor.

I retrofitted with the Precision Concepts billet part which that comes with 2 allen head replacement bolts (nice) +red locktite. If you've got an older XR, or ride a lot, or worry alot, I'd change it.

I've read the spring in the flapper breaks after fluttering at very high rpm. I don't abuse my motor, figured no problem.1998 XR400 with a lot of use over the last 10 years, while doing a full top end rebuild I checked again and sure enough it's broken and a little piece missing. That's bad because it gets sucked into the motor. I retrofitted with the Precision Concepts billet part which that comes with 2 allen head replacement bolts (nice) +red locktite. If you've got an older XR, or ride a lot, or worry alot, I'd change it.
XR's only has them for 25 bucks. I couldn't find one in thumperstore http://www.xrsonly.c...a-xr400r-xr600r Edited by Rediron