Sign in to follow this  

(rumour) BMW selling Husky to KTM?

HuskyRips, keep posting. I enjoy your posts, even if the other guy doesn’t.

so wait, the husqvarna factory was not sold?

All signs point to a ktm with red plastic

His buddy owns a backyard husqvarna dealership.

nothing wrong with backyard dealers as long as they do the brand right. from all i have heard he does . keep up the good work HR.

nothing wrong with backyard dealers as long as they do the brand right. from all i have heard he does . keep up the good work HR.

The Guy he's refering to as a backyard dealer is one of Husqvarna North Americas top 3 dealers in the country... he's been selling Husqvarna for over 20 years now and he's a good guy, but he doesn't know much about what's going on behind the scene with Husqvarna.

And he does a great job supporting his customers with a very loyal following.

Husaberg-Husqvarna to be merged? How will they spell it this time?

It's going to all be Husqvarna after the acquisition... Maybe a Husaberg skunks works brand of products... that's still up in the air.

S.P. said in the end it's a going to be a two brand race and the way it looks he's going to be owning both brands.

As far as marketing dollars go, you put your money on reconizible brand and both Husqvarna and KTM have huge brand reconition. Husaberg is still a brand build in the works that would require a huge investment... Husqvarna on the other hand can get there faster.

I believe most of the euro factory Husaberg race team guys have already been told what's happening... and in a recent interview with Fabrizio Azzalin of Husqvarna's CH Racing team he kind of implies that after this year there will be a lot of uncertainty of where his team will be when all the dust settles... Hopefully they keep his CH Racing team, because he's done a great job for Husqvarna brand for many, many years now.

So yes it will be Husqvarna.

If you read my post here on Thumpertalk over the past 10 years, I've been right on the money 100% of the time on everything posted here....

You owe me a keyboard. How in the world could you possibly have posted this with a straight face? :rolleyes:

• Like 2

If you read my post here on Thumpertalk over the past 10 years, I've been right on the money 100% of the time on everything posted here....

with one exception and that being my original opinion on the 449 and 511... (And boy was I wrong on that one!)

with all due respect rip more like 62 percent .....you were little off on the salminen 310 best bike rip considering how bad his results were in 2012 (for salminen)

with all due respect rip more like 62 percent .....you were little off on the salminen 310 best bike rip considering how bad his results were in 2012 (for salminen)

I'm not going to rehash 10 years of post, but other than the 449 thing I believe I was spot on the money.

And on Juha 2012 season... actually if it wasn't for the stone in the countershaft sprocket at the first or second World Enduro round in South America DNF (He was leading his class) there's a good chance he would have had more momentum thru the rest of the season and his results would have been better.

Juha still has what it takes to Win a world championship.

Edited by HuskyRips

You owe me a keyboard. How in the world could you possibly have posted this with a straight face? :rolleyes:

Never argue with a mod.... there I said it. :rolleyes:

Dear R.I.P. Husky,

Is there some sort of independent data source analysis that supports your remarkable sucess rate, or are you just basing the statistic on your own slightly biased opinion?

Furthermore....

HuskyRips said:

Yes, Suzuki / Honda / Kawasaki / Yamaha / KTM.... are all junk... and that's coming from an industry insider!

BlipBlip/HuskyRips

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/834721-2011-husky-150wr/page__st__60#entry8645537

So, according to your own widsom, any Husky that is a re-badged KTM will be junk? Have I got that right?

Dear R.I.P. Husky,

Is there some sort of independent data source analysis that supports your remarkable sucess rate, or are you just basing the statistic on your own slightly biased opinion?

Furthermore....

HuskyRips said:

Yes, Suzuki / Honda / Kawasaki / Yamaha / KTM.... are all junk... and that's coming from an industry insider!

BlipBlip/HuskyRips

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/834721-2011-husky-150wr/page__st__60#entry8645537

So, according to your own widsom, any Husky that is a re-badged KTM will be junk? Have I got that right?

Yes.... They're all still junk!.... It's just KTM is less junk now that they own Husqvarna.

And BMW.... Total JUNK!

Hopefully that clairifies that.

Edited by HuskyRips

Never argue with a mod.... there I said it. :rolleyes:

Just because I'm a mod doesn't elevate me to some level where we cannot debate or discuss a topic. We enforce the rules and in some cases are in the industry, are experts on a given subject or like me, just another member.

I just find your hubris concerning Husky rather amusing. In the end it's just a pile of parts, many of which are used by everybody else, and their colour plastic of the moment. The only real thing going for Husky and KTM for many of us is they've gone to the trouble of making some of their excellent off road machines plateble, something becoming vastly important for many. The economy is so bad along with the shift away from dirt bikes to quads and SxS machines that the market isn't going to support multiple independent manufacturers. KTM has trounced the Euro manufacturers along with the Japanese in the US high performance off road market. Sure, the niche guys like Husky, Beta, GasGas, Sherco and some others build some really nice stuff but the likelihood of them being able to continue in this economic climate along with the obvious shift away from off road motorcycles by the public doesn't portend a bright future for multiple players.

I personally don't think it's a good thing Husky is now tied up in any way with KTM. Economy of scale implies the Husky line may well wind up being red KTMs, just as what happened to Husaberg. We can hope KTM supports Husky as an independent line which of course would be best for us by fostering competition and choices but I'm not going to hold my breath. Less competition means even KTM may eventually do what the Japanese have done, BNG year after year after year in the name of saving money. Even KTM doesn't sell many bikes when you look at worldwide sales. Honda probably sells as many derivatives of the CRF150/230 worldwide as all models of KTM, Husaberg, Husky and GasGas combined in a year.

In any case, it will be interesting to see what happens. We're starting to hit a wall again in bike development so hopefully the addition of Husky's expertise with KTM's may bring some interesting things to the table.

PS: KTM saving money observations. No longer is there the chassis and parts books included with the purchase. The really nice high quality briefcase is now made out of cheap Chinese grade nylon. The excellent quality small tool kit they provided for years (the blue handle one) has been replaced by tools unsuitable for a Yugo (the orange handle garbage). Acerbis plastic has been replaced with crappy Polisport stuff. If KTM is being forced to cut costs what do you think is happening with the little guys that don't have the purchasing clout?

• Like 1

Yes.... They're all still junk!.... It's just KTM is less junk now that they own Husqvarna.

Dear R.I.P. Husky,

Did you hear that? I think it was a collective sigh of relief being exhaled by KTM owners worldwide. Just knowing that they now have the back-handed blessing of an "industry insider" like R.I.P. Husky will certainly help them sleep at night.

ps. Thanks for continuing to post. I'm currently writing a thesis on Confirmation Bias and you've provided a profoundly important and expansive body of raw material. Please keep it coming.

I think Husabergs entire Worldwide production numbers were around 11,000 units which is more than Husqvarna's combined dirt bike, Enduro bike, Dual Sport Bike, Cross Country Bike, Motocross Bike, Minicycle bikes and Street bike production numbers combined.

wow that is a surprise. where did you find this?

nw

The Guy he's refering to as a backyard dealer is one of Husqvarna North Americas top 3 dealers in the country... he's been selling Husqvarna for over 20 years now and he's a good guy, but he doesn't know much about what's going on behind the scene with Husqvarna.

And he does a great job supporting his customers with a very loyal following.

According to your numbers Husqvarna doesn't sell very many bikes so being a top 3 dealer isn't hard to do even when operating out of a backyard.

Interview with Stefan Pierer late last week with respected Euro magazine:

Husqvarna will have a range of off-road 2 and 4-strokes from 85 cc and up

In October 2012 Stefan Pierer, CEO of KTM started the negotiations for the purchase Husqvarna.

The R & D of a brand that loses 20 million Euros per year to be restructured

Posted: 04/03/2013

Here is the first part of our exclusive interview with Stefan Pierer, CEO of KTM and Husqvarna's new owner.

When did you decide to buy Husqvarna?

BMW would have serious difficulties in managing the off-road market without proper basis. The terrain is not their main market, and as for KTM it took about 10 years to become competitive on the market road, so I knew that BMW would have been in trouble without a specific tradition and without the necessary knowledge of the characteristics of 'users. For this I have maintained contact with the leaders of Monaco, just pointing out that they were in serious trouble keeping the brand I would be willing to pick it up. They knew of my interest so, last year, in October 2012, they contacted me.

And what did BMW say?

It is on sale, you interested? Sure, let's talk about ...

What is the future home of Husqvarna's Cassinetta Biandronno Plant?

On the 6th or 7th of March, the anti-trust decision in Austria will be defined, I'm going to Italy to see how to proceed. But to do an observation: this factory over the past four years has lost 20 million euro per year. So from the outside I can say that the range is old and poor, and do not innovate. I think it's a problem rooted in the R & D department of date. The Husqvarna real customers are disappointed. This is the biggest problem, in my opinion are really back.

His first step in what will be?

After Easter I will have a complete picture of the situation and the strategy to be implemented. As a first step I want to focus on off-road range, to make a complete and competitive range enduro and cross 2 and 4 stroke starting from 85 cc. I want Husqvarna brand becomes the second European off-road brand to fight against the Japanese ... Because they, on the other hand, are still four! (Laughs)

With this in mind, will Husqvarna cannibalize KTM market?

We already have 12 years of experience in brand management Husaberg , KTM competitor, but we have seen that the two marks did not cannibalized one another. Indeed, Husaberg has grown into a serious problem for Husqvarna. Do you think that when I started, twenty years ago, was the Husqvarna brand to beat in Europe, especially with regard to the enduro.

Stefan Pierer told us a lot of things in the interview and it is very long. We plan to divided in installments.

Tomorrow the second part, in which Stefan Pierer speaks of his ideas on the future of motorcycle market and the solutions to it again.

Edited by HuskyRips

According to your numbers Husqvarna doesn't sell very many bikes so being a top 3 dealer isn't hard to do even when operating out of a backyard.

You're just upset, because he sells more bikes than your dealer.

And have you been to his new dealership... he has a real nice new Hare Scrambles test track right out the front door of his new dealership.

Also you've been posing over here on a lot on TT... what did CafeCooky ban you?

JustAsking

Edited by HuskyRips

More breaking news this morning from the European Motorcycle Press:

Cairoli extends contract with KTM to 2016.

Posted 04/03/2013

The contract between Antonio Cairoli and KTM is broken open and extends to 2016. The current contract expires at the end of the Italian 2013 but then remains at the Austrian brand. Or not!? Pierer Industry AG during late January after all Husqvarna about BMW. And Stefan Pierer is the big boss at KTM. It is therefore possible that Cairoli in the near future might be moving to the new Husqvarna Motocross team ..... To be continued!

Edited by HuskyRips

Husky mx team,now didnt J Dowd run Huskys last year ? I saw his name in the mag they gave me when i got my bike.