Sign in to follow this  

DR650 vs. DRZ400

I have had a couple of beers so I'm sorry about what follows.

Who gives a shiiit how fast a DRZ/Dr goes, top speed is not in the design brief.

I didn't buy a DRZ for how fast it goes and if you did you brought the wrong bike.

I have owned/raced bikes that would go faster in first gear than my DRZ will do in top gear.

If you want to go fast, I mean seriously fast, get on a 1000cc Jap sports bike, it will put it into perspective on how slow a DRZ really is.

Be it a "real E " S or SM, it's all about having fun, even a full on stroker will seem gutless beside a 1000cc sports bike.

Put them in there intended enviroment and they excel but they will never be a speed machine.

I give a shit, i wanted a bike that will climb the toughest black diamond trials around me, and be able to do 90+ mph on the way home on those long straights we have out here, so that is exactly what i was looking for, and exactly why i bought the bike, every single bike ive owned, the first thing i do is take it out and test out top speed.

lol, to me it would seem weird to NOT test out top speed.

• Like 1

I give a shit, i wanted a bike that will climb the toughest black diamond trials around me, and be able to do 90+ mph on the way home on those long straights we have out here, so that is exactly what i was looking for, and exactly why i bought the bike, every single bike ive owned, the first thing i do is take it out and test out top speed.

Would have to agree I am mostly the same way . I figured as long as the bike would do trails decently and able to do atleast 20km over the highway posted speed limit I would be happy . And the bike delivers without a hitch ... When it comes to racing that was not what I was looking for

Edited by tylerslj
  • Like 1

Indicated speeds are based on percentages not "x" numbers of miles an hour at all speeds. Test with a GPS and you'll find your speedo will be off less at lower speeds.

That being said, coming from two 1000cc superbikes, the drz feels a lot faster at high speeds because its not designed to be ridden at 90+. It's a dirtbike for heavens sake. Lol

My other 2 bikes are off by almost exactly 10%

I got this number by using radar signs - indicated 60mph - sign says 54mph.

Indicated 30mph sign says 27mph.

What's funny is one is a cruiser, the other a dual sport. They are made by different manufacturers and they are both off the same amount.

A friend of mine (a big guy) often rides his CCM 644 on the same lanes I put my DRZ down - he does okay on it.

The CCM uses the DR650 engine but instead of the Mikuni BST40 it has twin Mikuni BSR32's.

There are probably other differences as well as the rated power at the crank is 53hp vs 43hp for the DR.

The CCM uses the engine from the Suzuki Freewind (XF650) which is based on the DR650 engine, which accounts for most of the difference (valves are probably bigger in the XF).

The CCM uses the engine from the Suzuki Freewind (XF650) which is based on the DR650 engine, which accounts for most of the difference (valves are probably bigger in the XF).

I read somewhere that the Freewind did have bigger valves... The CCM frame had clearance for the twin carb set-up, I doubt that you could use that head on the stock DR frame.

The CCM supermoto version looks like a lot of fun... I also saw the CCM 404 that uses the DRZ400 motor... looked good. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/motorbikes/2724450/A-winning-combination.html

You must have some pretty easy trails around where you ride if a standard bore DRZ with road trails tyres can transverse the toughest trail and still do 90+ MPH on the open road.

Or your a gun rider with a contract to factory team :worthy:

You must have some pretty easy trails around where you ride if a standard bore DRZ with road trails tyres can transverse the toughest trail and still do 90+ MPH on the open road.

Or your a gun rider with a contract to factory team :worthy:

Black diamond trails are not easy, some of them i cant even stay on the bike, lol and those tires came off the bike quickly to put different tires on, (dirt oriented tires) that pic was taken the first weekend i got the bike, i did not even attempt to run those tires on the trails...

if i had one of those GoPro's, id go out this coming weekend and make a DRZ400S top speed vid, i find it weird that some have a hard time believing this bike (drz400s) can get in the 90's easily.

i find it weird that some have a hard time believing this bike (drz400s) can get in the 90's easily.

Me too....

Euro E model with corked full Muzzy and MT21's, stock gearing 14/47, 146Km/h [91,25mph], still had some to the redline.

That's using a well callibrated bicycle speedo.

That is consistent with calculations based on transmission ratio, wheel diameter and redline.

No downhill, no ducking down, accelerates straight to top speed whithout effort, meaning with the proper gearing it can go faster.

On/off bikes with similar horsepower like the XT660 will easily pull 100 real mph, so why wouldn't the DRZ?

OK, the S/SM stock may not, but with an FCR, hotcams, 12,2:1 CR and full exhaust system you get to E spec.

Edited by e_scourboutis

There is no replacement for displacement

If you are talking DR650 vs. DRZ400, actually there is: more advanced technology leading to higher volumetric efficiency. :p

If you are talking DRZ400 vs. DRZ440/470 you may have a point! :thumbsup:

• Like 1

I've put a bunch of miles on DR650's (Alaska x2) but prefer a lighter bike. I'm a wuss on trails but ride a lot of rough roads and gravel so I like the dualsport bikes with 21" front tires. I had a blast putting nearly 30,000 miles on a WR250R but the crankshaft counter balancer bearing failed and there she went; it was all fixed under the extended warranty though, so I consider myself extremely lucky. I figure I killed it on the street; I rode it everywhere and did my best to keep up with my husband and buddies regardless. Anyhow, I'm back on a DR650 for the past 25,000 miles and very happy, except I miss that lightweight, nimble feel the 250 had. I'm wondering if I could get that back if I went to a DRZ? Since I ride easy offroad and mostly street, I'd consider springing for the wide-ratio gearset. What do you all think?

Sarah

• Like 2

If you are talking DR650 vs. DRZ400, actually there is: more advanced technology leading to higher volumetric efficiency. :p

If you are talking DRZ400 vs. DRZ440/470 you may have a point! :thumbsup:

Good point :)

As an off track side note though, I really wish Suzuki could bump up the displacement on the drz and make it FI. Saw a YouTube video that had some great ideas: drz500sm with FI. I'd be on my way to the dealership right now to pick it up if it was available. Don't get me wrong, the 400 is a great bike but if it wants to stay in the completion, Suzuki really needs to step it up.

except I miss that lightweight, nimble feel the 250 had. I'm wondering if I could get that back if I went to a DRZ? Since I ride easy offroad and mostly street, I'd consider springing for the wide-ratio gearset. What do you all think?

The DRZ-E is actually lighter than the WR250R. Main problem is it's a tall bike so you'd probably want to address that. You can also loose a few kg's by fitting an after market tailpipe too.

Problem is that the DRZ feels like a big bike off-road, the WR-R still feels lighter.

I'm not a fan of riding other peoples bikes (as it may lead to me buying another) but I had quick go on my mates WR-R on our local lanes and I was surprised how light & small it felt.

This is from went we went touring around Slovenia & Croatia.

c419e3e8.jpg

Edited by DrzDick

I believe that top speed for my "S" was 95mph (on flat gravel, full knobbies).

I changed-out the rear sprocket (larger) and now top speed is around 87mph.

Much prefer the slower speed for the ability to climb better.

Pretty wild feeling the "floating" sensation at high speeds on gravel.

Practically no traction at all... :ride: but still under control (for the most part).

Alot of factors determine top speed. Fuel octane, tire tread, tire pressure,

elevation, temperature, wind conditions, road surface, rider weight, air filter

cleanliness, spark plug condition... I'll stop there, but the list goes much farther.

Good point :)

As an off track side note though, I really wish Suzuki could bump up the displacement on the drz and make it FI. Saw a YouTube video that had some great ideas: drz500sm with FI. I'd be on my way to the dealership right now to pick it up if it was available. Don't get me wrong, the 400 is a great bike but if it wants to stay in the completion, Suzuki really needs to step it up.

The day the suzuki factory puts out a fuel injected drz500, my shit will turn purple and taste like rainbow sherbert. :lol:

If your talking about the same engine this statement is on the money...of course when talking different generation engine technology it's generally not the case....

The day the suzuki factory puts out a fuel injected drz500, my shit will turn purple and taste like rainbow sherbert. :lol:

A man can dream.

..wait how would you know what your shit tastes like? ..

:p

If I'm just commuting around town, I would own a DRZ. If I was going to the edge of the world, I'm definitely taking a DR! :thumbsup:

Edited by originalmonk
  • Like 1

Yes, simple is good. For piling on the miles I may need to shut up and ride what I got. Thanks everybody.

Sarah