Sign in to follow this  

DR650 vs. DRZ400

I had a DR650 with an FCR39MX, high comp piston, oversize header and GSXR muffler. It ran ran great, a total blast on the street. I could ride for hundreds of miles on the road in relative comfort. 2 up riding was no problem for it either thanks to all the torque. Offroad, it was definitely a handful for anything other than open fields though fire roads though. Can it do muddy single track? Yes, but there are far better tools for that job. One thing you really can't beat the DR for is simplicity. Oil changes and valve checks are a breeze.

The DRZ is definitely the better of the 2 for woods riding. I've had mine in some pretty sloppy areas and it made it through without too much trouble. A 250 2-stroke would have been more ideal, but I couldn't ride that to the sloppy areas. The DRZ is fine on the street for just about all purposes outside of long, droning trips on the highway. It will do it without protest, but can be a little buzzy. I'm sure gearing would help with that but then you sacrifice the offroad abilities.

The way I understand it, the ACT wide ratio gear set widens 2nd thru 5th gears, making 5th somewhat like an overdrive. I wonder if that would be the ticket for a street rider. I could swap sprockets for offroad rides. We ride primarily street, but I still like a light bare-bones bike.

Sarah

The way I understand it, the ACT wide ratio gear set widens 2nd thru 5th gears, making 5th somewhat like an overdrive. I wonder if that would be the ticket for a street rider. I could swap sprockets for offroad rides. We ride primarily street, but I still like a light bare-bones bike.

Sarah

That's the basic idea. The WR gears give you a lot more versatility. With the WR gears you can now choose sprockets to suit street, off road or both with no real tradeoffs. You simply can't do that with the stock gearing. It changes the shift points by only about 300 rpms, but the overall affect is pretty dramatic.

Thanks ACTman. From what you've seen so far, how does the stock engine with just the basic mods (3X3 &JD jet kit) pull the gears? Still feel like a torquey bike? Thanks again.

Sarah

Thanks ACTman. From what you've seen so far, how does the stock engine with just the basic mods (3X3 &JD jet kit) pull the gears? Still feel like a torquey bike? Thanks again.

Sarah

With the 15/44 sprockets and a bone stock bike, it has a hard time pulling 5th gear in a head wind, making it a good overdrive only. But switching to the 14/47 sprockets felt like the bike should have come that way on the showroom floor. Since the owner of the bike was only used to his taller 15/44 sprockets, he was really suprised when he almost looped it from the added power in the lower gears and 14/47 sprockets.

I had a DR650 with an FCR39MX, high comp piston, oversize header and GSXR muffler. It ran ran great, a total blast on the street. I could ride for hundreds of miles on the road in relative comfort. 2 up riding was no problem for it either thanks to all the torque. Offroad, it was definitely a handful for anything other than open fields though fire roads though. Can it do muddy single track? Yes, but there are far better tools for that job. One thing you really can't beat the DR for is simplicity. Oil changes and valve checks are a breeze.

The DRZ is definitely the better of the 2 for woods riding. I've had mine in some pretty sloppy areas and it made it through without too much trouble. A 250 2-stroke would have been more ideal, but I couldn't ride that to the sloppy areas. The DRZ is fine on the street for just about all purposes outside of long, droning trips on the highway. It will do it without protest, but can be a little buzzy. I'm sure gearing would help with that but then you sacrifice the offroad abilities.

Yin/Yang = DRZ/KLR. The DR650 is somewhere in the middle of both = perfect all rounder :p

With the 15/44 sprockets and a bone stock bike, it has a hard time pulling 5th gear in a head wind, making it a good overdrive only. But switching to the 14/47 sprockets felt like the bike should have come that way on the showroom floor. Since the owner of the bike was only used to his taller 15/44 sprockets, he was really suprised when he almost looped it from the added power in the lower gears and 14/47 sprockets.

I have the E with 14/47 and with the ACT WR gears, If i had a DR i would sell it. It pulls 5th just fine. If you want to pass, down shift to fourth, hall ass past them and go back into 5th. Plain and simple the more I ride these ACT gears, the more I realized the investment was totally worth it. And remember, you are riding a single cylinder at speed, not a inline 4- If you want to pass in 5th gear, you might want a bike with GSXR on the side of it.

Edited by mschulz
  • Like 1