Gas tank is warped at the petcock/leaks.

Is this a common problem or it just happens to be my bike? The gas tank is warped right where the petcock mounts up and leaks gas everywhere. Ive tried to fix it twice...it holds for a little while then starts leaking again. Other than buying a new gas tank I dunno what to do. Pisses me off this seems like a manufacturing defect.

This is on a 2012 KLX110L I bought new. Started leaking after 8 months or so.

have you hear of lapping a surface? like put sand paper down on somthing flat and do circles to make it flat and true. you do it with cases and covers . could you possibly do that ?

I may try that.....im thinkin a heat gun....after I clean all the gas out of course.

&%$#@! happened to this thing though. damn kawis

Is this a common problem or it just happens to be my bike? The gas tank is warped right where the petcock mounts up and leaks gas everywhere. Ive tried to fix it twice...it holds for a little while then starts leaking again. Other than buying a new gas tank I dunno what to do. Pisses me off this seems like a manufacturing defect.

This is on a 2012 KLX110L I bought new. Started leaking after 8 months or so.

??? I don't get it? I picked up a leftover 2011 for my son for Christmas and I'm concerned that this will be an issue. Can you stack a couple of gaskets? Ours is dry now, I drained the gas after Christmas, I'm going to check it out. Seems weird???

nofb! I joined just so I could respond. I have the same exact bike... actually two. One of them has the problem you are experiencing. One day I entered the garage and boom gas leaking all over the floor. The plastic of the tank has deformed between the two mounting holes; there's no way it would seal with the oem o-ring again. Mine is 1 1/2 months out of the 6 month warranty but today, Kawasaki agreed to send me a new tank and seal at no charge! They said it is a problem only on the East Coast. They attributed it to the gas sold here?!?! My dealer tells me the original tank part number has been discontinued and they're sending one with a new part number so they must have changed something about it. Get to your dealer ASAP; who knows how long they'll agree to replace these "out of warranty". Hope this helps... Cheers...

• Like 1

nofb! I joined just so I could respond. I have the same exact bike... actually two. One of them has the problem you are experiencing. One day I entered the garage and boom gas leaking all over the floor. The plastic of the tank has deformed between the two mounting holes; there's no way it would seal with the oem o-ring again. Mine is 1 1/2 months out of the 6 month warranty but today, Kawasaki agreed to send me a new tank and seal at no charge! They said it is a problem only on the East Coast. They attributed it to the gas sold here?!?! My dealer tells me the original tank part number has been discontinued and they're sending one with a new part number so they must have changed something about it. Get to your dealer ASAP; who knows how long they'll agree to replace these "out of warranty". Hope this helps... Cheers...

Thanks man. Ill contact the dealer and kawasaki. Unfortunately now Ive had the bike for about 14 months now they prob wont cover it but its worth a shot. Sounds like the exact same problem. Ive been using amazing goop and gasket makers to seal it but they dont hold very long.

??? I don't get it? I picked up a leftover 2011 for my son for Christmas and I'm concerned that this will be an issue. Can you stack a couple of gaskets? Ours is dry now, I drained the gas after Christmas, I'm going to check it out. Seems weird???

It is majorly warped...you could put 5 gaskets on there and it wouldnt make a difference.

• 2 weeks later...

Add me to the list.. same problem on a 6 month old 2011. One day i walk in the garage and fuel is everywhere. Haven't been able to seal it since. How can i recognize the part number of the new tank? I don't want to buy a new tank only to get the old model.

Add me to the list.. same problem on a 6 month old 2011. One day i walk in the garage and fuel is everywhere. Haven't been able to seal it since. How can i recognize the part number of the new tank? I don't want to buy a new tank only to get the old model.

Looks like the old part number was 51001-0316; the new one is 51001-0771. The OEM tank is 200 freakin' dollars though. If Kawasaki didn't send me one for nothing I would've looked to an aftermarket tank.
  • Like 1

We have a 2010 and it belongs to my youngest. Same problem. Got the bike brand new, east coast and it drools fuel all over the place. I am deployed now so the tank is empty. What was the process to accuore a new tank from Kawasaki? Thanks

Not sure on one that old. The dealer handled everything for mine.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

My 2011 started this a few months ago. It hadn't been ridden in a while so I thought maybe an owing had dried out or something. Messed with it some and put gas in it.. Still leaking. So I started looking for a replacement petcock thinking that was the problem. After some consideration I decided to take it to the dealer today. He said he's pretty sure there's a recall on the tanks and will let me know Monday what he hears. I'll update when I find out.

• 1 month later...

Called my dealer...they weren't aware of any notices. Called Kawasaki, said there was some online chatter about a problem with the fuel tank. They confirmed they were replacing upon request and told me to re contact my dealer, and have the dealer call Kawasaki and they would take care of a free replacement.

2011 KLX110

Alpharetta, GA

• 7 months later...