Hare Scrambles/Enduro/MX Races?

Minnesota

Hopefully I can get some good advice in the next couple months before summer gets into full swing about racing.

Here's the deal. I'm forty years old and never been in a race. I have a DRZ400and a WR250F, both 2001 and run pretty good. I don't have any dillusions about winning any races. Not being laughed or beat by some kid on a pw50 will be a good start for me.

I was thinking I'd like to try a hare scramble or something else. I'm a little afraid of mx racing. I've been to one MX track and have done some trail riding and single track the last couple years. With 3 kids I don't have a lot of time to devote to myself but this is something I'm a little intimated to try but I've got to do something to celebrate the big 4 o.

My plan is to find a race and show up. I've heard of some races in a few of the state forest; Huntersville, Nemadji, and Paul Bunyan.

Is that I'll I need to do is show up? What races require a roll chart (never used one)? I have MX boots, chest protector, helmet, gloves, and pants.

545515_559417767311_1565809592_n-2.jpg

Edited by toadl

Check out the D23 web site for all the info. www.ARMCA.ORG

I am 44 and started racing MX with my 15 year old son last summer. Love the time spent with him at the track. Never to old to start racing.. To enter a MX race you need an AMA membership and a D23 membership to sign up. Good luck..

I would recommend an enduro to start with. The first race at Huntersville is a relatively easier race than the other enduros. Get a minute in the late 20's so you don't have to worry about AA riders passing and enjoy the trail. People are very helpful when asked questions. To race, you'll need an AMA and District membership, along with a spark arrestor on your bike. A good way to compare the types of racing is that enduro's are typically the best trail and a less intense pace than Hare Scrambles. Hare Scrambles are more intense and usually the trail is beat up by the end of the race. Both are fun, come on out!

I would also do an enduro and ride C-Class or sportsman class to see how it is done. If your looking for an Enduro or Hare Scrambles near you the site to go to is www.usdualsports.com it has every enduro, hare scramble, and dual sport in the U.S. listed site makes it easy to find a ride. As far as gear goes you should be good just make sure if you do an enduro that your bike is street legal if it requires it.

Check out the D23 web site for all the info. www.ARMCA.ORG

I am 44 and started racing MX with my 15 year old son last summer. Love the time spent with him at the track. Never to old to start racing.. To enter a MX race you need an AMA membership and a D23 membership to sign up. Good luck..

Did they have a special class for your ability and age? Where did you race? Are there certain tracks I should stay away from.

I would recommend an enduro to start with. The first race at Huntersville is a relatively easier race than the other enduros. Get a minute in the late 20's so you don't have to worry about AA riders passing and enjoy the trail. People are very helpful when asked questions. To race, you'll need an AMA and District membership, along with a spark arrestor on your bike. A good way to compare the types of racing is that enduro's are typically the best trail and a less intense pace than Hare Scrambles. Hare Scrambles are more intense and usually the trail is beat up by the end of the race. Both are fun, come on out!

I've rode at Huntersville one of my first times riding. That would probably be a good first enduro. I didn't see anything there that was really difficult and would kill me. I remember being out on some of the trails a long time. I think my pace would be a little faster now. How long does the Enduro last? Will I be riding for 1 hour or 6 hours?

I would also do an enduro and ride C-Class or sportsman class to see how it is done. If your looking for an Enduro or Hare Scrambles near you the site to go to is www.usdualsports.com it has every enduro, hare scramble, and dual sport in the U.S. listed site makes it easy to find a ride. As far as gear goes you should be good just make sure if you do an enduro that your bike is street legal if it requires it.

Is the sportsman class where you don't collect points? How often do you need to race to make collecting points important.

Edited by toadl

Ya it makes it pretty much a Dual Sport ride. So you don't care about your time you just figure out how to use a roll chart and follow arrows. If you're just wanting to ride an organized ride you might check out a Dual Sport you will have to use a roll chart, and most clubs use parts of their enduro course, so you will see what kind of terrain you will be facing, but won't have the spectators and guys that want to race.

Toadl, I'm in the same boat. Turning 39, never raced. I had it on my tipping bucket list (things to do before I get to old to do them) to try it out and plan on doing some research myself. I have an 11 year old who might also be interested. I think there are some enduros that we could run same day. Anyway, as it gets closer to summer let me know if you want another old guy to run with (misery loves company) and I'll give you a holler if I find a good jumping off point as well. I ride a CRF450x and am itching to get her out of the shed.

Toadl, I'm in the same boat. Turning 39, never raced. I had it on my tipping bucket list (things to do before I get to old to do them) to try it out and plan on doing some research myself. I have an 11 year old who might also be interested. I think there are some enduros that we could run same day. Anyway, as it gets closer to summer let me know if you want another old guy to run with (misery loves company) and I'll give you a holler if I find a good jumping off point as well. I ride a CRF450x and am itching to get her out of the shed.

I want to race. I will keep in contact with you. Please make sure I don't chicken out. One of the advantages of a race for me, is I figure I can bring my whole family and they can support and cheer for me. Any other new people want to join us, less likely I'll be last.

Edited by toadl

Toadl and B, PM me and I will give you my cell if you want to talk. I went through what you are talking about back in 2010. I am 49 and now race Senior B. Starting out racing C class Hare Scrambles is a good start. So are Enduros. The WR250F is a good bike to start with. That's how I started. Once you start, you will be hooked. The guys you meet racing off-road are super cool dudes.

- Steven

I would love to be updated on this ans see how it goes!! Keep me posted

Toadl - I rode the over 40 senior class. Started out as a C rider and raced at Cambridge for my first race. I think their were 6 riders in my class that day and I finished 3rd. Had a blast and talking to the other dads on the start gate we all were pretty mellow and knew we all had to work the next day so no banging bars like the young kids. It was even funny when a guy would fall or get stuck, guys would ask if you were OK when they went by. Check out the D23 rule book for more info on the different classes and requirments.

I liked Cambridge as a track if you like riding in the deep sand. Not very many jumps so pretty fun track but the sand beats you up good.. The track I really started to like is Mora. Fun layout lots of jumps but pretty rider friendly. Great place for family to watch because you can see most of the track from the pits. I have also riden Wheeler in Wi. they have two sand tracks and very fun. We also road Arkansas last year, very hard track for a beginner. Big jumps but still had fun. I heard they are redoing this track to make it more family frendly next summer. I would go back. Good luck..

Toadl and B, PM me and I will give you my cell if you want to talk. I went through what you are talking about back in 2010. I am 49 and now race Senior B. Starting out racing C class Hare Scrambles is a good start. So are Enduros. The WR250F is a good bike to start with. That's how I started. Once you start, you will be hooked. The guys you meet racing off-road are super cool dudes.

- Steven

I will PM you as things get closer. I'm thinking Hare Scrabbles might be an easier start. I understand the races are shorter 10-15 miles where the Enduro's are about 70 miles. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I could sample each type of race? but it would be fun to try and make every scramble or enduro and see how I improve over the year.

Does Anyone have any experience with Dirtbike Tech riding school? I feel pretty confident in my riding ability, but I know some of my skills could use some honing, especially my hill climbing and log crossing.

Edited by toadl

Just do it. Have fun.

Sorry I didn't see this earlier!

Also starting riding as something to do with my kids 7 years ago. We've had 100 years worth of fun since then.

I did Hare Scrambles before Enduros - they are shorter, 1 hour in C class, but definitely a little more high intensity wheel to wheel crazyness, particularly in C class. In MN, you can ride your 1st HS as an X-rider at most events, which is a lower entry fee and no trophies, etc. Great way to try out racing. We don't have a sportsman class up here - really all the info for racing in our district is on the ARMCA site as mentioned before. You do need to join AMA, and then the local district, D23.

You will probably be riding 6 hours in an enduro. Huntersville and Duquette are probably good first enduros. Akeley East, too. Either way, expect to be good and tired when you're done - you pretty much ride ALL the trail in a given riding area and then some.

You probably will get hooked like the rest of us. If you think you might do this for a few years, join a club - I joined the Straight Arrow Enduro Riders a couple years ago and wished I would have years before - great people and families to enjoy the sport with as well as being part the big picture in putting on events, etc. PM me if you want more info on that.

The Dirtbike Tech school certainly would help in learning the basics, there's also usually been a race/riding school around here every year - keep an eye on the ARMCA site for that, too.

Thanks rabbityracer. My kids are a little to young to start racing, but I hope at least one of them catches the bug. Hopefully this year they will enjoy watching.

I learned this winter while IceFishing. It's so much easier to get away for the whole day when the kids come with, and more fun too if I keep the right focus.

I will try the Cambridge Hare Scramble first and either persue as many Hare Scrambles as possible or experiment with different types of races.

Always open to more suggestions from anyone.

Edited by toadl

Rabbityracer, 6 hours in an enduro! I could barely make 60 minutes in some of the single track in PBSF! Crap, now I have to start getting in shape...

Toadl, my kids are 11 and 8 and I also learned very early on (starting w/ fishing) that you can go and play all you want... as long as the kids go with! At least some of the time. It's good though, cause all the hours you put in baiting hooks or riding slow will pay off down the line. Both my kids have the bug now and like RR said... 100 years of fun already.

Thanks rabbityracer. My kids are a little to young to start racing, but I hope at least one of them catches the bug. Hopefully this year they will enjoy watching.

I learned this winter while IceFishing. It's so much easier to get away for the whole day when the kids come with, and more fun too if I keep the right focus.

I will try the Cambridge Hare Scramble first and either persue as many Hare Scrambles as possible or experiment with different types of races.

Always open to more suggestions from anyone.

Thats exactly why I started riding offroad - I'd be gone on these all day street rides and decided I'd rather spend that time with my kids, and still on a bike! Any of the hare scrambles will be fun - they all vary a bit in terrain, makes it fun to do a few.

Rabbityracer, 6 hours in an enduro! I could barely make 60 minutes in some of the single track in PBSF! Crap, now I have to start getting in shape...

Hah, yeah! To be fair, I should say they're usually about 5-6 hours total, with some breaks in between. Each Enduro is usually broken down into sections of trail 5 to 15 miles long with pauses/resets (breaks) in between...of course you gotta ride fast enough to get to rest! So, in Akeley East for example, you ride pretty much all of the trail east of the highway in PBSF as fast you're comfortable.

Looking forward to finally getting my son out for his first enduro this year, the great thing is we can ride on the same row and "race" each other all day!

Oh yeah, and my screen name did just change...Rabbityracer came from my days doing Auto-X in a VW...overdue for an update.

Edited by C-P

Oh yeah, and my screen name did just change...Rabbityracer came from my days doing Auto-X in a VW...overdue for an update.

I was a little confused. Can't wait to start riding (practicing). I'm guessing the State Forest trails will be too wet in April to responsibly ride?

They usually keep everything closed until the spring thaw dries up, so April can be iffy. Last year was great, looks like we'll have more snow melt to deal with this year tho...

I just saw numbers are required for harescrambles in 2013.

I've thought about 579 for the years my kids were born or 77 because as a child my favorite hotwheels car was 77.