Sign in to follow this  

Barnett Clutch Kit DR650

I just installed the third clutch on my bike. The OE lasted 18K. I replaced it with an EBC kit which I just replaced at 33K with a Barnett kit. Although my old clutch still worked OK, I noticed the clutch slipping in higher gears when I snatch the throttle. The DR also didn't power wheelie like it did when the clutch was new. After replacing the clutch with the Barnett kit, I noticed significant improvement in response. The bike now pulls without slipping in the higher gears and it pulls the front end up easily in 1st. The down side is the springs that came with this kit seem a bit longer that the OE. The clutch lever is now much harder to actuate. The springs measured about .200 longer that the OE springs. I'm hoping it will take a slight set and get slightly easier over time. I bought the kit off fleabay hope the springs are correct.

Has anyone experienced the same stiff feel with the Barnett kit?

Edited by T30

Barnett likes heavy springs. You could ease the effort a little by installing 2 of your old springs with 2 of the Barnett springs. If you do this make sure the matching springs are across from each other to balance the force on the pressure plate.

Thanks

I really like the way it's engaging now but if i were to take the bike off road this clutch would be a handfull. I think I'll try using two of the OE springs just to see how that works. All the OE springs measured .050 over minimum length as specified in the service manual.

Update: I replaced two of the Barnett spings with the OE springs. In a sprint around the block tonight it felt like it was grabbing just as good as with all the Barnett springs. The lever pulls a bit easier now. Good fix!

Edited by T30

Ended up going back to the stock springs. They seem to work well with the Barnett clutch and drive plates and it makes managing the clutch much easier. It may just be my imagination but the bike seems to pull better than it did with the stock clutch and EBC clutch. Hope these Barnett kevlar clutch plates last at least as long as the others I've had.