xr650l led headlight?

I am looking to have my xr650l battery power some heated clothing. Is there a LED headlight I can use that will draw less power and leave more available for heated gloves and vest. Probably need about 3- 4 amps to run everything.

i am hoping there is simply a bulb that i can change out.

There is no LED bulb that will work adequately in a stock housing. LEDs require very good focusing and directional emitters.

Cyclops has High performing LED Light bars with very low power draw that will far out shine any halogen light. Baja designs has a few LED options that are more traditional and also work very well.

change the stator to a ricky or one from a early 80's vt700 or 750. direct bolt in.

garthr

I am looking to have my xr650l battery power some heated clothing. Is there a LED headlight I can use that will draw less power and leave more available for heated gloves and vest. Probably need about 3- 4 amps to run everything.

i am hoping there is simply a bulb that i can change out.

Do you ride at night and need to see?

Or just daytime and need the light to be legal?

If you don't need good night light (I never ride at night), then yes an LED would work for that.

IF you need to ride at night and actually see, then no.

The stator rewind/exchange at $150 is your best bet.

I do want to be able to see at night. Don't ride at night often but sometimes it gets dark on the way home.

I found an old thread that said the Ricky stator is not available for the xr650L. Maybe that is old info.

I will look into stator options but honestly am nervous about doing that myself. I have read that the stock setup can handle gloves and vest at highway speeds but you need to unplug them 10 minutes before the end of the trip to keep the battery happy.

Another option is to power only one item at a time. Still another option is to power the vest using some battery packs for RC flying I have kicking around. My plan is to ride on marginally nice days where it will be cold if the sun goes down before getting home.

i got the used deeper stator off ebay for about $40. take off the left side cover, the stator is attached to the inside of the cover with 3 bolts. had to reuse the harness plug for the 3 or 4 wires. that was it. i think the new stator puts out 300w.

garthr

The headlight does not do anything for you in the daytime so turn it off and simply run a simple LED running light to alert other drivers of your presence. Put the headlight on a switch so you can flip-flop between it and the LED for night riding. You might not have enough juice at night, but that does not sound like a frequent occourance so maybe leaving the vest off then would be acceptable.

Edited by Snoman002

The headlight does not do anything for you in the daytime so turn it off and simply run a simple LED running light to alert other drivers of your presence. Put the headlight on a switch so you can flip-flop between it and the LED for night riding. You might not have enough juice at night, but that does not sound like a frequent occourance so maybe leaving the vest off then would be acceptable.

That sounds like the easiest option. My favorite roads to ride are away from traffic anyway. I do think that using only one item at a time would be okay, but will check with an in-line voltage meter. Like I mentioned earlier, if I had to I could plug into a separate small battery in my jacket pocket for as long as it would last. I have a 2200 mah battery that should be able to run my vest (drawing 1 amp) for 2.2 hours. I did check the current draw and it was around 1 amp.

the gloves (warm and dry) draw about 2.2 amps on full power. Hard to say what they draw at half power because the meter jumps all over the place. but is would be reasonable to expect around 1.1 amps on average.

No flywheel puller?

flywheel stays on the crank when the alt . and cover are removed.

garthr

• Like 1

I bought bars at the auto parts store, zip tied em in place, all good.  Have heated gloves with extra set batteries, (fly ignitor). Of course have heated grips and good to go. Ditch the heated jacket is my thought because layers and the cold is mostly directed on yo fingers

To answer the original led for a 650l question. The stock stator with nothing done to it will power a Cyclops. And you will see and be seen believe me. Just buy a cyclops and plug it in. This is more complicated to read about than to do just that