Sign in to follow this  

How do you pay for a bike purchased on-line

I'm looking at upgrading from my existing 2000 KTM 300 EXC. I'm in the market for another KTM 300 from 2008 - 2013. I'm struggling finding anything used in my area and know I may have to travel to find my next steed. I've been doing a lot of internet searches, but the thought of paying for a bike and not receiving it has me concerned.

I understand if I use an internet auction site or go through a dealer, I can use paypal or a credit card to protect my interests. But what if its a private sale example Craigslist? If I'm the seller, I don't want to deal wth paypal to get my money... (I'm old school and want cash, money order, or a bank check). Is there a brokerage company that (for a small) fee, will hold the money in escrow until the bike is picked up by the shipping company. I'm thinking to protect both parties, a third party broker would make sense. I'm sure I'm not the 1st person to buy something and need a third party to hold the money before transfer of the item was compete. Is there any recommendations for such a service, or how have others handled a private sale / purchase.

Thanks

I am not aware of any third party or brokers that do this kind of thing. But that is not to say that there is not someone out there doing it. I would look on Al Gore's internet.

However, the two best ways to pay for a purchase like a car or a motorcycle from a private seller are cash in person or bank wire transfer which can be done without you having to go anywhere. Both are totally secure.

But I have to ask, why would you buy a used motorcycle without seeing it in person first? Are you that trusting?

Your Mileage May Vary.

cheers

dangerous dave

With all the scams going on, no one in there right mind should be selling a bike under conditions like that. Paypal and CC payments can be reversed and they would be out of a bike. A dealership might do something but a private seller shouldnt, atleast i never would.

• Like 1

The possibility of issues with the transactions is why I keep looking at (lusting over ) a new 2013 model...

Believe me, you're not the only "old school" buyer/seller. Everyone that sends me the "Hi I'd like to purchase your machine, give me your paypal information and address and my shipping carrier will pick it up" gets a good ol' &%$#@! you response. Honestly don't be suprised if you get the same responses. Although you could be the most honest person in the world, it just sounds like a scam to the person you want the bike from.

there are several dealers and small bike shops that sell used bikes im my area that would broker or sell a bike on consignment for a fee of coarse you pay the dealer with credit card and the dealer pays seller and the credit card co protects from fruad .

Why not just find someone that is close to you (like within a 4-5 hour drive) and do it that way? then you can pay cash in person, and if you don't want the bike after seeing it in person, you're good to go.

I have bought and sold several bikes this way and it always works well. I had a guy come from Canada to buy a DRZ400 (6 hours one way), and one come from Ohio to buy an RM65 (4.5 hours one way).

When I look to sell a bike, there are two different venues that I use. The first one is craigslist, and has brought me pretty good luck. I usually post it on there and generally, the people that actually show up are at least interested. If the sale is made, then collect cash/copy of drivers license (important!) and fill out required paperwork (varies from state to state). I really only like dealing with cash, so if they are serious enough, the buyer will have it (or bank check, but I usually wait for the check to clear, or go to the bank with the buyer to finish transaction). Ebay is another good route to use for selling a bike. I have had buyers put a deposit down via paypal (usually something like 250.00), and pay the rest upon pickup. I also have had people send money orders for the deposit, and meet later after the deposit cleared and paid the remainder. Just trust your instincts if something doesn't feel right, meet in a public place/etc... AND always get a copy of their license or write down the information.

I would never use anything but cash for such a large transaction. If the buyer doesn't have "time" to come pick it up, they won't have time to ride it either. No need in catering to their conditions. If they can't come in person so be it. Someone else will buy the bike

Believe me, you're not the only "old school" buyer/seller. Everyone that sends me the "Hi I'd like to purchase your machine, give me your paypal information and address and my shipping carrier will pick it up" gets a good ol' &%$#@! you response. Honestly don't be suprised if you get the same responses. Although you could be the most honest person in the world, it just sounds like a scam to the person you want the bike from.

I typically send them the address of the guy who tried to pull that on me most recently. You know, scam the scammer idea?

• Like 1

I typically send them the address of the guy who tried to pull that on me most recently. You know, scam the scammer idea?

I sent one the name and address of the head of the FBI.

The idiot actually sent it out too!

He emailed me a few weeks later saying that I was scamming him and trying to steal his money and that he was gonna go to the fbi.

I said go ahead they already have the check!! :lol:

• Like 1

1) CASH or GTFO

2) meet the guy at the local bank to exchange the cash and the title, they have security

3) moneyorders can be forged and can take 2 weeks to find out they're fradualant.

I sent one the name and address of the head of the FBI.

The idiot actually sent it out too!

He emailed me a few weeks later saying that I was scamming him and trying to steal his money and that he was gonna go to the fbi.

I said go ahead they already have the check!! :lol:

Don't answer them at all. Just delete them without reading if you can spot them. It's kinda like knocking on your door....if you answer, they know someone lives there.

Meh I'm not worried.

It gets real frustrating though when you try and sell the bike and get what you think are real interested buyers that turn out to be scammers. Now I tell people to only call/text me. The scammers always come on email

"I am very interested and willing to pay Full price on your item".