CRF250L Suspension/Handling Upgrade Thread

Post up your mods, tech and any you info have here. 👍

What works for what weight, your adjustments, shock tech, fork tech, steering stabilizer info, whatever you got... :D

All in one place so everything for easy access... 🙂

Lets see what you got. 😏

:cheers:

I've found the front ok for slow tight single track trails, where the plushness rides over rocks and ruts, but any faster square edged, whoops, jumps etc there way to soft, I've slapped bottom so hard many times that I thought I'd collapsed the front rim, and broke off the grips!!

This is the next number 1 on my list of mods! Just not sure what to do? I haven't had anything to do with separate function forks before? Do I replace one or both springs? Gold valves etc? Oil weight and height, again one or both legs? Preload spacers? Mmm?

• Like 3

Same experience here with the way too soft suspension (150lb rider). Shows up badly on hard hits. Not sure what I am going to do.

A couple Thais ran a Rally Race in 2012 apparently placing 2nd and 5th place (from Chonburi Thailand to Angor Wat Cambodia) with these bikes. The one fellow I know ran his forks stock but put big bucks into the rear shock. It is a YSS unit having adjustable comp and rebound damping both fast and slow. I think it has adjustable length as well? It is the one place he decided to stick a pile of money into the bike. Check out the photo below to see the nice location for the remote reservoir.

rear shock.jpg

Edited by gliderboy
  • Like 3

I saw on one of the SE Asia expat forums (rideasia or gt-rider), Aussie suspension guys, getting some YSS training. YSS Service Centers in Australia, somewhere. The bikerzbits guy had it listed for the CBR250R and i asked him about getting one for the CRF250L, and he listed it a few days later.

Z Series, no reservoir, rebound damping adjustment.

G Series, piggyback reservoir (which probably does not fit the CRF250L,) rebound and compression damping adjustment.

X Series, remote reservoir.

Thailand http://www.yss.co.th/yss_info.php

bikerzbits http://www.bikerzbits.com/yss-shock-absorber-crf250l-mz506-395tr.html

YSS USA http://www.yssusa.com/series-z.html

honda_crf250l_yss_shock_absorber_.jpg

• Like 2

All this is why I think $450.00 bucks or so to Race Tech or some other company is not a bad idea.

My bike goes into the shop next week and I will see what he recommends. I would like to just send the forks out to a pro.

I don't plan on getting all crazy but look at this as more of a safety issue.

Nothing worse than buzzing along and all of a sudden ..... WHAM .... what the &%$#@! was that :banghead:

Edited by gnath9
  • Like 4

I think that for me not knowing much about Forks sending to Race Tech will be a good thing.
I am not expecting them to be perfect as that takes lots of time and either doing your own work or working with a tuner is the only way to get it right.

Also if I feel if it can be improved a little after having ridden for awhile I am sure my local guy can make adjustments for me.

• Like 3

Thanks for posting 👍

I think that for me not knowing much about Forks sending to Race Tech will be a good thing.

I am not expecting them to be perfect as that takes lots of time and either doing your own work or working with a tuner is the only way to get it right.

Also if I feel if it can be improved a little after having ridden for awhile I am sure my local guy can make adjustments for me.

With the money you are spending on upgrades, I expect them to be perfect. If not, it's our job to make them perfect. You know how to reach me, nights, weekends, doesn't matter - that is what we're here for. I'm glad you decided to go with the Gold Valve Kit and HP Spring setup.

• Like 5

With the money you are spending on upgrades, I expect them to be perfect. If not, it's our job to make them perfect. You know how to reach me, nights, weekends, doesn't matter - that is what we're here for. I'm glad you decided to go with the Gold Valve Kit and HP Spring setup.

Thanks for keeping an eye on me and following this thread 👍 Hopefully my forks will make it to you guys next week. :thinking:

I know that everybody on here will be waiting on my review :shocked: and I have nothing but good expectations. 🙂

I have done a lot of research before making this decision. :prof:

Edited by gnath9
  • Like 1

Just some observations?

After trolling around trying to get an idea of a suitable replacement USD fork, I've noticed some similarities between manufactures, most have a free length of approximately 94cm from the top (below preload cap) to centre of the axle, as apposed to the free length of the CRFL's at 89cm, this means that the forks would have to protrude through the top clamp 5cm to keep the same geometry?? I've heard that some can have their length changed by shortening the damping rod or putting a spacer under the preload spring, but not sure how this affects the performance??

Again most modern mx forks have a clamping diameter of 58-60mm (bottom) and 53mm top, the top clamp on the CRFL's is 54 so a thin shim would be needed, but most likely material would need to be removed from the lower holes depending on which fork was used? I looked at several triple clamp option's, and a lot could be made to fit, but none so far I've found to have the external stop locations the same! The CRFL's frame has two rod's as stops, as opposed to the mx version's frame rest top of the bottom clamp setup???

Front axle hole's on MX USD's seem to be 20-25mm pinch, or thread spacer inserted into one side, or an axle that go's completely through both pinch hole's with a nut. The CRFL's has a 15mm solid axle with a 20mm clamp area, and a 14mm thread that screw's into the left leg. I'm guessing if you used a thread spacer this is possible, but a larger mx axle not possible with the smaller front hub? Unless they make a wheel bearing that's 35mm outer with a 20 or 25mm inner?? Not sure if they make them that size? again this depends on the fork axle hole size? I'll check into that!

Lastly the calliper mount locations on mx type are 102mm to our 96mm, so an adapter bracket would have to be fabbed up, but shouldn't be too hard as the CRFL's already got one, but a clone that was laser cut with the new bolt locations should be easy enough.

Anyway there's a hundred way's to fry an egg, this is just an example of obstacle's to overcome! 🙄

• Like 3

or just send them to Race Tech and save the head aches. with your Thumper Talk discount it comes to about $354.00

I know I'm lazy but, I also want to keep the same forks. A lot of R&D has gone into this bike and it just feels to me like they got it right and I don't want to compromise that.

354 bucks is hard to beat unless you had a set just laying around.

• Like 3

or just send them to Race Tech and save the head aches. with your Thumper Talk discount it comes to about $354.00

I know I'm lazy but, I also want to keep the same forks. A lot of R&D has gone into this bike and it just feels to me like they got it right and I don't want to compromise that.

354 bucks is hard to beat unless you had a set just laying around.

I must look into it! I've had a quick scan and what I gather is they fit a spring to the damping side also to make up for the soft one? then I get a bit lost? :goofy: It's probably not economic to send them from here, but if I can get my head around what needs to be done then I can fit myself??

• Like 1

I must look into it! I've had a quick scan and what I gather is they fit a spring to the damping side also to make up for the soft one? then I get a bit lost? :goofy: It's probably not economic to send them from here, but if I can get my head around what needs to be done then I can fit myself??

here is the parts list from my order ...

FMGV 2002C- $169.99 Gold Valve Kit

FRSP 3951K- $119.99 Fork Springs

FSOS 43 P- $21.98 Oil Seals (if needed)

Oil- $30.00

that's before you thumper talk discount.

• Like 3

here is the parts list from my order ...

Oil- $30.00

that's before you thumper talk discount.

Cool, i'm gathering that's one upper and lower valve for the damping leg, and two springs? one to replace the existing spring, and another to fit into the damping side?

I really have no idea what is in the kits .... I copied and pasted that from my email price quote.

I am paying ...

Labor- $100.00

Oil- $30.00

Total $441.96- discount $353.57

plus freight.

• Like 2

Cool, i'm gathering that's one upper and lower valve for the damping leg, and two springs? one to replace the existing spring, and another to fit into the damping side?

Nah, I'm North of you in Bendigo! but thanks for the offer!, be good to know what he ends up doing?

I will have to check on the valves in this kit. Guessing it's rebound and compression but will find out. Yes on the springs, we're adding a spring to the other leg. When Paul (Thede) told me what they found for a solution, I thought... wow such a simple idea yet something I would have never thought of haha. Hongie, you're free to email me direct if you'd like, chris@racetech.com and I'll get you setup with your TTalk deal and help you through the process personally.

• Like 4

I will have to check on the valves in this kit. Guessing it's rebound and compression but will find out. Yes on the springs, we're adding a spring to the other leg. When Paul (Thede) told me what they found for a solution, I thought... wow such a simple idea yet something I would have never thought of haha. Hongie, you're free to email me direct if you'd like, chris@racetech.com and I'll get you setup with your TTalk deal and help you through the process personally.

Is it a simple idea in that is a cheaper way to fix the forks? or is there an advantage to what would seem to be a more balanced setup? When I first heard about separate function forks I was amazed it worked. I could see the rationale of it being lighter and cheaper to manufacture, but wondered about binding and balance.

I am also very curious as to what Tracin figures out about my damper solution.

You're from Nebraska right? Same Tracin that was a mechanic on the Tuf Arenacross team? If so, give him a hello.

As far as the fork kit. Yes, it's a compression and a rebound Gold Valve. And the spring setup works well because the stock spring is so completely undersprung, that you are always needing to add to the rate, so it works great to go into the other leg.

• Like 2

You're from Nebraska right? Same Tracin that was a mechanic on the Tuf Arenacross team? If so, give him a hello.

As far as the fork kit. Yes, it's a compression and a rebound Gold Valve. And the spring setup works well because the stock spring is so completely undersprung, that you are always needing to add to the rate, so it works great to go into the other leg.

Yes it is the same guy. 👍 I will be sure to say Hello for ya 🙂

I will see him as soon as my forks get back to me as I will be rushing them out to him ASAP 😏

I am so very excited and just took off the first week of April so I can go riding :ride:

small world eh .... gretna cycle

P.S.

thanks for the shirt and stickers !!!

Edited by gnath9