MentalGuru

CRF250L Suspension/Handling Upgrade Thread

today I picked up my bike from Racetech,,,

rode it around on the street.

My thoughts at this time,,,,,

definetly feel more planted on the ground

a little on the firm side but thats ok, I would rather have that than too mushy and walowy

definetly progresive on the stroke

maybe some off roading later this week

so far :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

more to come

is it stiff front and rear? i probably wouldn't mind because i want to load it up with outback gear at times. but, i wouldn't want it like supercross setup either. their bikes look like rigid frames when they are cruising through the pit area.

• Like 1

is it stiff front and rear? i probably wouldn't mind because i want to load it up with outback gear at times. but, i wouldn't want it like supercross setup either. their bikes look like rigid frames when they are cruising through the pit area.

I dont want to say stiff

it is firmer and more planted feeling

its deffinetly not smushy anymore

I need to ride it off road before I decide if it needs to be softened up, if it does it would be only the first portion of travel

kind of hard to tell at this time ,,, I need to put some off road time on it and go hit some things with it

• Like 1

Posi

L with 1.22kg/mm and 221 mm travel takes 270kg to use all travel

X with 1.0 kg/mm and 315mm travel takes 315 lg to use all travel

The extra 94 mm is why the x has softer springs according to the numbers you posted earlier

This is my fuzzy math skills but I think these answers are close

Would still like to hear from the experts on this

Posi

L with 1.22kg/mm and 221 mm travel takes 270kg to use all travel

X with 1.0 kg/mm and 315mm travel takes 315 lg to use all travel

The extra 94 mm is why the x has softer springs according to the numbers you posted earlier

This is my fuzzy math skills but I think these answers are close

Would still like to hear from the experts on this

Yeah that is what I was thinking, but I didn't want to put words into their mouth.

I got 8 foot of air off a table top and flat landed it on stock springs, at my age I don't have any ambitions of doing that sought of thing on a regular basis, so I don't think I need that level of bottoming resistance, at least in the forks.

I rode the 2014 Husqvarna enduros and I thought the suspension was perfect but I wouldn't want to go stiffer than that in the forks. I rode a ktm250sxf and didn't like it much at all, way too stiff in the front end.

I just want to get this perfect first time around, ie customised for me. I don't mind having a stiff shock but I definitely prefer forks on the plush side of stiff. I might go off gut instincts, even 50% stiffer fork springs will have more than enough bottoming resistance for me.

Anyway let's see what they have to say.

Edited by Positron007
  • Like 2

Here is a generic quote for the Gold Valve Shock Kit Upgrade with the TTalk discount applied (item prices listed are retail, total price below includes 20% off TTalk discount).

ef84ef3e6cf50a7e9fbce43ce10c215e.png

Loving all the questions and interaction in this thread.  I am waiting for a call back from Rob in our R&D department to get additional answers to your spring rate questions.  

• Like 5

did some trail riding this morning, up Silverado canyon

the Racetech suspension seems to me to be a bit on the firm side of things, as I was feeling a lot of trail tidbits like it was dancing off the little stuff that it should be eating up. I've been told to let it settle in so I will go out again and bang it around some more.

while coming down the mountain I was able to loft a few wheelies and get about some air a few times, this is where the suspension was working good. I was able to gas it as I was exiting runoff gullies and get the bike to fly a little, don't get excited as I was only about a foot off the ground. the weight of the bike seems to have disappeared with the suspension up grade.

conditions were dry, hard, some rocks of all sizes and dusty

After I got home and washed her up , I was talking with my neighbor (who races) about the suspension and he mentioned to lower my tire pressure to under 15lbs (it was at 20psi) and that will help take the little hits and flow with the suspension after it settles in.

I will stay positive and let the suspension settle a bit, and go from there.

At least it isn't all soggy through the stroke

so far I'm happy with it but I really don't want to feel the small rocks, dips and bumps.

it needs to have that trail plushness at the beginning of the stroke.

• Like 4

If I remember correctly I told them I was trail riding and desert riding when camping.

they wrote me down as an intermediate rider since I've been riding for a million years

I told them I like plush at beginning of the stroke but want a progressive feel, not mush all the way through the stroke.

I am hoping that this all works out

the rear shock seems to be doing its job, I can tell when I'm on a wheelie I can feel it working, rear wheel staying planted on the ground flowing with the terrain. very impressive :thumbsup:

and don't get me wrong the front is willing to take some hits at speed but my go to trail has a lot of switchbacks and you cant always get up to speed, matter of fact your doing less than 20mph a lot.

I don't feel it flowing like the rear does. I really feel a lot through the bars, a lot, to the point my arms were aching and pumped after a 20 min ride.

I remember talking to myself while riding saying "this is way to stiff, this is way too stiff".

I will give it more time and see what goes

could be as simple as ..

tire pressure

break in time

oil level or viscosity

or lighter spring needed

just want you all to know, I am not knocking the suspension, just giving feed back for information and trying to get it dialed in for me.

• Like 3

maybe a simple spring swap might be in order for you ....  :excuseme:

I do not remember .... do you have the G3-S rear shock or do you have one of the rebuilt stock ones ? 

Here is a generic quote for the Gold Valve Shock Kit Upgrade with the TTalk discount applied (item prices listed are retail, total price below includes 20% off TTalk discount).

Loving all the questions and interaction in this thread.  I am waiting for a call back from Rob in our R&D department to get additional answers to your spring rate questions.  

Hi Chris

Do you have a 0.36 fork spring FRSP 395136 on the shelf?

http://www.racetech.com/page/title/FRSP-RT%20Fork%20Spring%20List

Edited by Positron007
  • Like 1

I had a nice conversation with Rob from Racetech this morning, We had discussed rideing the 250L , along with other bikes. dialing in and adjusting suspension for the riders personal preferance. We talked about tire pressure, preload and rider ability and terrain.

as this is a R&D (reserch and development) effort, and its all about gathering information. Rob has asked me to bring in my bike to do some fine tuning of the forks.

the object is to give it some plushness at the early part of the stroke.

I will be dropping off the bike in the AM then pick it up later that day,

I will update you later

• Like 7

I had a nice conversation with Rob from Racetech this morning, We had discussed rideing the 250L , along with other bikes. dialing in and adjusting suspension for the riders personal preferance. We talked about tire pressure, preload and rider ability and terrain.

as this is a R&D (reserch and development) effort, and its all about gathering information. Rob has asked me to bring in my bike to do some fine tuning of the forks.

I will update you later

That is awesome Ducky Dude .....  :thumbsup:

I just shipped off my old stock shock to Race Tech R&D boys today ....  :ride:  well my "old" stock shock only had 400 miles on it so it should be a perfect candidate for the the task at hand  ....   :prof:

• Like 2

That is awesome Ducky Dude .....  :thumbsup:

I just shipped off my old stock shock to Race Tech R&D boys today ....  :ride:  well my "old" stock shock only had 400 miles on it so it should be a perfect candidate for the the task at hand  ....   :prof:

Awesome is an understatement..

I had also donated my stocker for R&D ,, you never know,,, If they get a few spares maybe they can set up a shop and swap for the stock shock upgrades

now you folks dont get me wrong the suspesion is way better than stock if you are riding agressivly,. Me,,, I dont get to ride that hard on twisty trails (I have some tendonitis in my wrists) unless I'm out in the desert, then I can really get on it but thats only a few times a year.

I think its cool that Racetech is willing to do a little revalving to soften the initial stroke some,,,, its like "Brorifick"!

Oh and G man,,,,,, the Tr8's hook up pretty good

• Like 3

I had a nice conversation with Rob from Racetech this morning, We had discussed rideing the 250L , along with other bikes. dialing in and adjusting suspension for the riders personal preferance. We talked about tire pressure, preload and rider ability and terrain.

I will update you later

I am really happy for you Ducky! I am sure they can tweak for your needs.

This also says a lot for the Racetech business. They are serious about their work!

I got great service all the way from Singapore and superb support!

Took two rides on the trails in Malaysia and the suspensions performed great!

One of my buddies rode my bike and have great compliments for the suspensions. He is an experienced off road rider with a WR250.

He is inclined to come over to this bike.... I must say the Racetech does play a huge part to make this bike a joy for the trails.

• Like 3

droped it off this morning and picked it up at 5pm

went out curb hopping

so far it feels good

wil hit the trails this saturday

So .... will Race Tech be offering the limited special "Ducky Dog" edition some time soon ....  :banana:

• Like 1

Sorry I've been a bit quiet, I have had a few other projects going on and haven't had a chance to get with Rob on your spring rate questions Posi.  I want to answer them here for everyone, but if you don't get an answer soon enough to order, you're welcome to email Sydney (Rob's assistant) with the questions to get your order moving.  I will still ask them and follow up here for everyone.

Ducky, glad Rob is getting you taken care of.  I tell people all the time, one of the main reasons I came to work at Race Tech is because as a company they truly stand behind their 100% guarantee.  If the upgrades we make don't 100% exceed your highest expectations, we will re-do it with your feedback.  

Maleko, I have quoted a few TTalk members the Gold Valve Kit/Spring upgrade for the rear shock, but not sure if anyone has went ahead with ordering and getting one setup.  The R&D process on the stock shock upgrade is far enough along that we are comfortable selling it.  We'd done a few previously, but we had to ensure the settings were good before we could move forward selling it to a customer.  Again, we want to 100% guarantee what we sell, and that means we have to test and be confident in it first.  

• Like 4

So .... will Race Tech be offering the limited special "Ducky Dog" edition some time soon ....  :banana:

G man

I dont know about that,,,

I was told that they changed the forks to a two stage dampning setup,, Thats all my brain captured,,

the rest was too detailed for my feeble brain cells to grasp and retain,, :goofy:

• Like 2

G man

I dont know about that,,,

I was told that they changed the forks to a two stage dampning setup,, Thats all my brain captured,,

the rest was too detailed for my feeble brain cells to grasp and retain,, :goofy:

I'm sure it will be just what the Doctor ordered ....  :thumbsup:  We are lucky to have such a company take interest in our little dual sport ...  :ride:

It is also cool when you watch the big boy MX guys on TV and see that Race Tech logo on their forks ....  :smirk:

your user name should be "Lucky Dog" because you live so close to them that you can just stop by ...  :lol:

• Like 3

Is it possible to order the gold valves with 2 valve plates and 2 different valve springs for both the compression and rebound valves?

Edited by Positron007