CRF250L Suspension/Handling Upgrade Thread

2 hours ago, jstephens999 said:

Add shims under the new Race Tech spring, correct? I'll add 10cc of fork oil at a time and try that too. 

I wouldn't mess with the front forks,yet. I've got the gold valves (2 stage setup) and spring in my front forks and have never even come close to bottoming the front out. ( wait, did you just do the spring in the front and not the gold valves?)

Most of the weight with a passenger will be on the rear. Try adjusting the rear pre-load first. It's simple to do. Use a screwdriver or a spanner wrench to loosen the lock ring. Use the tool ( bent rod) that came with the shock and turn the ring with the holes in it. Screw the ring down to increase preload,or up to decrease preload. ( weight needs to be off the rear suspension while doing this)

Don't add oil to the forks. That is not a way to change damping on modern forks. Going to a heavier viscosity will but I would not suggest 10, try 7.5 first and I think you'll be happy with that. Add some preload and rebound damping to the rear and I think you'll be happy on both ends.

3 hours ago, Force0321 said:

I wouldn't mess with the front forks,yet. I've got the gold valves (2 stage setup) and spring in my front forks and have never even come close to bottoming the front out. ( wait, did you just do the spring in the front and not the gold valves?)

1 hour ago, Evan D said:

Don't add oil to the forks. That is not a way to change damping on modern forks.

No, it's got the 2 stage gold valves, spring kit, new seals and oil, and Race Tech rear shock. I already bottomed the front forks out on a big hump on a trail with a passenger on back. I didn't jump, it was just a steep mound of dirt with a valley and another mound on the other side and the forks bottomed as soon as the front tire went down into the valley and started up the next hill as the rear tire was still on top of the hump we just overcame, so the bulk of our weight was shifted to the front tire at that point. The front end also gets a bit more squirrely on gravel roads with a passenger than it does by myself, but that may just be due to the weight distribution and not be something I can do much about. That may just be the way it's going to be. It's the bottoming out of the forks again I really want to prevent, and from what I've read, adding oil 10cc at a time might be a way to prevent it. I had forgotten about the possibility of adding those extra spring shims though with the Race Tech kit, so maybe that will help.

Well, I think your main problem isn't  the suspension. It's carrying a passenger off road. The bike isn't built for it even equipped with the RC mods  

No way I would carry a passenger , loaded with gear, Offroad. Unless it was an emergency evac. 

Edited by Force0321

Well, she enjoys it and getting a different bike right now isn't an option. It's only occasional trail riding and short trails, but I'd like to keep the forks from bottoming if we go again. Gravel roads will be unavoidable in many cases. There are other couples who ride these bikes or even a TW200 2-up on trails and have a great time. I know it's certainly not ideal, but it can be pretty fun, especially depending on the type of trail chosen and the type of riding you're doing. Leisurely rides for the scenery and experience and without lots of other riders around are the best. Unfortunately, the trails where I live are full of roots and eaten up by 4-wheelers, but we'll be traveling for 2 months this summer and hope to find some better trails with less ruts and roots. It's not about going fast or jumping, just getting through a trail and seeing the scenery, camping, etc. I think I can improve things slightly and make it work with just minor adjustments. The rear did well, but I'll adjust the preload a bit and see if it improves any. We just did the Seat Concepts seat upgrade and that helps a lot too. She's got a more comfortable seating area back there on the back now than I do up front, and I installed a rack so she's also got another place to hold onto when we're on smooth roads with relaxed riding. We've both got full sets of protective gear and she's aware there's a greater chance of going down on a trail, but as of right now, she really enjoys it. If this continues, I may try to get her riding her own, but so far she's only ever ridden scooters with no clutch. A friend of mine actually has a scooter with trail tires on it for dual-sport use, so that may be a start.

• Like 2

Should I order straight from Racetech or somewhere else?   Thanks in advance.
I ordered straight from Race Tech (twice--two separate 250Ls); since both times I sent my forks to them to do the work, I wanted to have a direct connection to them. This was more important to me. First time I took the forks to a "pack and ship," second time I packed them in a rifle case. Both times forks and shock arrived in pristine condition. RT is an expert at what it does, no question about it. Totally transformed my bikes. IMG_2323.JPG
  • Like 3

Got my YSS shock and installed it today!!! No test ride sadly but just sitting on it in the garage I can already tell an enormous difference. I can't wait for my next trail ride which should be next Thurs or Fri. I'll make a new thread with a full review after that. I didn't realize how cheap the stock shock looked until I got it out and was looking at these side by side. Unreal difference!

So, the bike sits higher now and the side stand really seems to be too short. What are you guys doing to remedy this problem?

IMG_1402.JPGIMG_1404.JPGIMG_1403.JPG

• Like 4

6 hours ago, PatriotUSMC said:

So, the bike sits higher now and the side stand really seems to be too short. What are you guys doing to remedy this problem?

I put a sidestand foot on to stop it sinking in the soft stuff...as a bonus it lifted it slightly on the stand

swmotech_sidestand_foot_enlarger_for_bmw

• Like 1

7 hours ago, PatriotUSMC said:

Got my YSS shock and installed it today!!! No test ride sadly but just sitting on it in the garage I can already tell an enormous difference. I can't wait for my next trail ride which should be next Thurs or Fri. I'll make a new thread with a full review after that. I didn't realize how cheap the stock shock looked until I got it out and was looking at these side by side. Unreal difference!

Good man! I've got yss and its a great option for these bikes. Impressive build quality isn't it? 

If you haven't already, get the racetech spring and gold valves up front. They work well together and transform the Offroad ability.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, PatriotUSMC said:

Nice looking shock!

I bolted a 1" chunk of teflon to the bottom of the Kickstand foot to fix my lean after installing the Racetech stuff. Didn't like that so I cut the kickstand in half, slid a piece of heavy wall pipe in it and welded it up. Extended it about 1". I welded on a larger piece of flat steel to the bottom of the foot to increase the footprint.

The bike was to tall for my when it was new, and stock so I lowered it with a 2" Kouba link. Once the stock suspension was thrashed it settled quite a bit so I slid the forks back down and put the stock link back on. After installing the RaceTech stuff it was to tall once again. Had to lean the bike at stops to get 1 foot on the ground. Kinda a pain off road when you are loaded down with gear. So last night I Lowered it back down for some testing. Once again the Kickstand was to long. So, more cutting and welding. Also cranked about one turn more of Preload on the rear shock upper collar to set the sag. Gonna do some testing tonight to see how it rides lowered.

• Like 1

Patriot can you post what you paid, taxes in shipping etc and where you where able to find that shock US side, thx

• Like 1

On 3/23/2017 at 2:11 PM, Force0321 said:

Most of the weight with a passenger will be on the rear. Try adjusting the rear pre-load first. It's simple to do. Use a screwdriver or a spanner wrench to loosen the lock ring. Use the tool ( bent rod) that came with the shock and turn the ring with the holes in it. Screw the ring down to increase preload,or up to decrease preload. ( weight needs to be off the rear suspension while doing this)

You must not be riding very hard.  I also have Racetech rear shock and up front gold valves, extra spring, and had it valved for aggressive riding and I still bottem out the front every time I ride.  

Anyone try swapping the stock spring out with one these Hyperpro progressive springs? Looking at this upgrade on the rear and RaceTech spring added up front, with maybe some valve work and maybe alittle different oil...  Thoughts?  

s-l1600.jpgimage upload

Edited by jbsurf
  • Like 1

Someone did this on another board and he had to modify the Honda rear shock to fit the custom spring I think.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mj910p said:

You must not be riding very hard.  I also have Racetech rear shock and up front gold valves, extra spring, and had it valved for aggressive riding and I still bottem out the front every time I ride.  

Take it back to whoever did the re-valving then.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mj910p said:

I've jumped mine and never bottomed it out. Even nose diving off of ledges.

Whoever installed your gold valves must have left the shim stacks out!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cyclic said:

Someone did this on another board and he had to modify the Honda rear shock to fit the custom spring I think.

I did this with no mod to the shock-took to a tire store here in Thai to compress the shock and R/R the spring, just the spring for my weight and riding expertise, I also shortened the link coz Im tall, atill riding it to this day and feel  it performs better than stock, but I dont race anymore

Edited by hockeyrick
  • Like 1