1977 xr75 headlight ?

I'm not sure... I think all the old Honda engines are the same. I have had a 1980 xr80, I now own a 01 xr100, same motor the 1980 xr80 had but its 20cc more. I think it will just be a ad in coil that bolts the under the fly wheel. But it's been a vary long time but I had a xl75 that I put points in I think there was just an extra coil under the fly wheel

We live in the country and race bikes on our dirt track, chase coyotes, etc.... A good 55 watt headlight is a must.

So have an update. Ricky's stators out of San Diego will wrap the blank spot on my already existing stator for $100 + shipping. Not a bad deal at all.

It would be cheeper and less work to ad a small sealed gel battery a toggle switch the headlight and some wire wold cost way less then the coil winding! If you go coil you will need a regulator and stuff..... I think but my ds80 has no regulator but I think I'm going to ad one cuz the lights get really bright then really dim!

Edited by suzuki-ds80

An isolated battery and headlight system isn't really an option for 2 reasons.

1. Have no where to out the battery.

2. It would only give me about 30 minutes of light before the battery died.

The stator is the best way, and you can wire lights without a rectifier or regulator using AC current.

Check out my tutorial I wrote on wiring lights using AC current at: https://www.thumpertalk.com/index.php?/topic/1005951-Install-headlight-on-pit-bike

I was just wanting to see if anyone had specific experience getting a lighting coil installed on one of these old xr75's.

Update !!!

I winded the extra coil block on the original stock stator myself and getting 70 watts from it. Only spent $18 at radio shack. This is way easier then I thought it would be and I was able to keep all of the original equipment.

Light goes on this weekend !!!

Just because they did not come with one does not mean they need one! A VOLTAGE REGULATOR! I'm putting one on my ds80, I took the original headlight ( was 6v ) and put a 12v bulb in and a 12v bulb in the tail light too, they get VARY VARY BRIGHT! A regulator will fix that and slow down the bulb blowing. Can anybody tell me how it could have ever worked with a 6v when it's so bright on 12v with about the same wattage? And any universal regulator should work right? Like off a lawn tractor that only has two wires ( one in one out it grounds what it does not need )

That's exactly how a regulator works.

But if you put a large enough bulb in, such as a 100 watt H3 bulb, it can handle all the current that the AC system is putting out and won't blow the bulb.

Edited by Mojo73

Well update.

All I could find that was matching was a CT70 lighting coil. It bolted right on and works, but gets extremely dim at low rpms. I wasn't thinking but it's a 6 volt coil. So I'm going to keep looking, but in the meantime we have a headlight.

I still have the original blank coil plate that was on the stator that I have been practicing with in trying to wind my own coil, but haven't had success just yet. So I'm going to keep trying. Kinda fun learning how to make this work

My next question is could I use a coil off one of these old stators that was used as the spark coil and not the lighting coil ? Would that work as well ?? What's the difference ? They look exactly the same in appearance.

Here is what I've got so far for pics !

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1362236440.078423.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1362236476.693587.jpg

Instead of beating yur brains out trying to rig up mismatched parts, Why don't you just get a xl75/80 style lighting coil off of ebay for like 50 bucks? All the lighting circuits are there already so all you have to do is bolt it on, then wire up a makeshift light circuit using the wiring diagrahm in the back of any xr/xl 75 /80/100 clymer manuel . I rewired my 77 xl 75 and it works great!

xl75 001.JPG