A-Loop Opinions?

Hello,

I bought a 98 Xr400 a couple years ago that had an A-loop kit already installed. Unfortunately it did not come with the stock seat or tank. I love the bike but am needing more fuel capacity for longer rides. A question to A-Loop users, is it worth trading the A-Loop kit for a stock set-up? I could go ahead and buy a complete stock tank and seat off ebay reasonably but I am on a college budget and it would be tight. I have never ridin a xr400 without the kit...is it that much of a drastic change? Another question, what do A-Loop users do to carry extra fuel?

Thanks,

Dan

I think the A-Loop tank and shrouds basically just gives the bike an MXer "look". As far as handling, you should see no drastic change swapping back to a stock tank. 90 miles is pretty typical mileage out of the stock tank.

Options for carrying extra fuel range from filling an empty qt. oil container with fuel and carrying it in a backpack, to things like handlebar mounted containers like the Maier Super Jug, to auxillary tanks that mount to the front of the forks like the Acerbis unit.

ace_12_1345910001.jpg

I have an A-Loop kit. I hated to spend $400 for cosmetics, but after 3 consecutive "stuffed rear wheel into log - smash balls into tank" events in a single day, I chalked it up to safety equipment.

8140425352_f7867c148b_n_d.jpg8485618265_cd4c2e2675_n_d.jpg

The handling of the bike is completely different with the kit. You can get 6" farther forward, which changes the handling drastically. If you are hanging off the back at WFO through the desert, it probably doesn't matter, but in the tight stuff, it is impossible to get forward enough to turn properly with the stock tank. I didn't think it would be that big of a deal, but it makes an XR400 into a completely different and BETTER bike. It's the best upgrade I ever made - I'd never want to ride one without an A-Loop kit again if I could help it.

JayC

• Like 1

Seat is hard as a rock and the tank is tiny as you know.

Sure looks good though.

I was close to getting one for the look but enough guys that bought them and then took them off swayed me.

Sure you could get someone to trade you for stock. Always guys more interested in how it looks.

Haven't spent any real time on one so I can't comment on supposed handling benefits.

I think the A-Loop tank and shrouds basically just gives the bike an MXer "look". As far as handling, you should see no drastic change swapping back to a stock tank. 90 miles is pretty typical mileage out of the stock tank.

Options for carrying extra fuel range from filling an empty qt. oil container with fuel and carrying it in a backpack, to things like handlebar mounted containers like the Maier Super Jug, to auxillary tanks that mount to the front of the forks like the Acerbis unit.

ace_12_1345910001.jpg

you must not have a A-loop kit on your bike.. well worth the money and more than just a "MX" look..

totally changes how your ride the bike and if you add the RSW triple clamp set up you damn near have a perfect set up IMO...

Let BTR chime in on making the tank bigger. I believe he has a trick to make the tank bigger.

If you're able to, get the stock setup and see what you like the best. You might end up keeping both to accommodate any situation. Everyone has different preferences, so explore what your preference might be. You will always be able to sell the a-loop kit.

I do have a spare stock gas tank (red). If you're interested shoot me a PM.

My all time favorite bike i had was a 96 xr4, 440 kit, suspension done, Aloop Kit, Applied upper. That bike was the smoothest, best turning tractor of a bike.

I shaved down the aloop seat some just so i could get just a bit more boot on the ground. That bike felt great, being able to get that much more forward on the bike felt good.

And it looked great too, had two aluminum bottles i got from a sporting store i kept full of gas, as soon i could dump them in on the ride i would, never worried about range.

After having a few crf450's with rekluses i went back to a xr4 and would put another aloop kit on one if i had any money left.

SELL THE ALOOP KIT, BUY A STOCK TANK AND SEAT AND PUT $100 PLUS IN YOUR POCKET. I BOUGHT A 400 WITH THE KIT, NEVER EVEN RODE IT THEN SOLD THE KIT AND WENT TO STOCK LOOK. AS FAR AS BEING "IMPOSSIBLE" TO RIDE IN THE TIGHT STUFF, I WOULD SAY THAT IS A VERY MISREPRESENTING TERM. I LOVE MY 400 AND WOULD GO TIRE TO TIRE AGAINST ANY BIKE IN THE TIGHT STUFF. THE XR MOTOR IS WHAT MAKES THIS BIKE KICK ASS IN THE WOODS. I HAVE SEEN MANY KTM GUYS WITH THE "CORRECT" SEATING POSITION FOR THE TIGHT STUFF JUST PLAIN PUSS OUT. THIS IS JUST MY OPINION. TAKE IT FOR WHAT WHAT IT IS.

SELL THE ALOOP KIT, BUY A STOCK TANK AND SEAT AND PUT $100 PLUS IN YOUR POCKET. I BOUGHT A 400 WITH THE KIT, NEVER EVEN RODE IT THEN SOLD THE KIT AND WENT TO STOCK LOOK. AS FAR AS BEING "IMPOSSIBLE" TO RIDE IN THE TIGHT STUFF, I WOULD SAY THAT IS A VERY MISREPRESENTING TERM. I LOVE MY 400 AND WOULD GO TIRE TO TIRE AGAINST ANY BIKE IN THE TIGHT STUFF. THE XR MOTOR IS WHAT MAKES THIS BIKE KICK ASS IN THE WOODS. I HAVE SEEN MANY KTM GUYS WITH THE "CORRECT" SEATING POSITION FOR THE TIGHT STUFF JUST PLAIN PUSS OUT. THIS IS JUST MY OPINION. TAKE IT FOR WHAT WHAT IT IS.

sooo you never rode the bike with the kit on but you are advising some one to sell theres? should have rode it IMO..

also no one ever said it was "impossible" to ride the bike in the tight stuff with out the kit. The kit like others have mentioned puts you in such a better riding position for the tight thechnical stuff. If you ever make it out west come ride my hot rod and see it you like the set up. The Aspen/Crested Butte area have some pretty technical single tracks for you to try it out.

Is the kit still available? If not I would hang onto it for that reason alone! Anything that moves the seating foreward will make the bike handle better. Manufacturers strive for a 50/50 weight bias and spend millions on development towards mass centralization.

• Like 1

Is the kit still available? If not I would hang onto it for that reason alone! Anything that moves the seating foreward will make the bike handle better. Manufacturers strive for a 50/50 weight bias and spend millions on development towards mass centralization.

http://www.aloop.com/Seat-Tank-Kits-400.htm

also no one ever said it was "impossible" to ride the bike in the tight stuff with out the kit. The kit like others have mentioned puts you in such a better riding position for the tight thechnical stuff. If you ever make it out west come ride my hot rod and see it you like the set up. The Aspen/Crested Butte area have some pretty technical single tracks for you to try it out.

JAYC WROTE ABOVE "but in the tight stuff, it is impossible to get forward enough to turn properly with the stock tank" I just thought this was funny and had to respond.
  • Like 1

JAYC WROTE ABOVE "but in the tight stuff, it is impossible to get forward enough to turn properly with the stock tank" I just thought this was funny and had to respond.

I stand corrected... Sorry for the mistake.

reading TT at work I tend to skim the posts.

also different strokes for different folks when it comes to the kit.

All that half true.The stock seat-tank xr4 true on hard single track(in Baja)xr4-250 beats any new bike with ease.With Aloop beats a little more.When we get custmers with KTMs,husashits,Betas,Wrs,Honda x-rs.They always say how come my $$$$$ bike wont keep up with your chase rider on single track.On that beat up old Xr4.I tell them.Here is a little info,nothing will keep up but another XR250-4.BTR

• Like 1