Best deal cost and function

Well it has come time for new brake pads and rotors. I have a 07 wr 450. My riding is 30/70 road and trail. The trail consists of alot of deep sand and deep mud. I am looking for a operationally "good" yet relatively inexpensive setup for the front and rear. Not much of what I have looked at has any real meaning to me as for advantage or disadvantage. In short I don't know what I'm looking at or for. Please help.

I've always used OEM pads on my YZ and had to changed them once a year 3 years in a row. I replaced the pads (OEM) on the WR when I bought it last year. Now the rotors are out of spec,( front 2.15mm .084in, rear 2.94mm .115in) and I need pads. To me this seems to be way out of spec, (front 2.5mm .10in, rear 3.5mm .14in) or am I just getting taken by the book specs? I don't want to have them break and take out the calipers. Unfortunately i did not take a reading as to what they were when I bought it. There was a ridge on the top of the rotors but not as pronounced as it seems to be now. Is there a general rule for dirtbikes IE.change the pads 4-5 times then change the rotors? The only bike I have ever had to replace rotors on is my 94 HD and since they went over 100,000 mi I replaced them with the OEM rotors.

As Krannie suggested, go with a solid disc with sintered pads if you see a lot of mud. I don't like the squeal that sintered pads sometimes make, and I prefer the feel of carbon pads much more than sintered. If you get caught in a rain on the trail you can eat half way through a set of carbon pads very quickly so I alway's put on sintered when needed.

I've never had to replace a rotor, and I've never had one break either. I don't even know if they would break! They are extremely flexable that's for sure, as I've bent a couple out here hitting rocks.

I've broke/bent 3 rotors. I go with OEM pads and the cheapest rockymountain rotor or ebay rotor I can find.

I bent the front rotor and replaced it with a Tusk. It was WAY cheaper than OEM. It's a little thicker than OEM which might help prevent bending it again and seems to work just as well. I still have some pulsing though. Not sure if the rotor was a little out of spec or the pads are causing it. For pads I use EBC reds and they work great and last but I have heard from a lot of people on different bikes prefer OEM pads. I would stay away from the Neutron brand pads. I put some on the rear of my DR650 and they have noticeably less bite than the EBCs or OEM.

Edited by LucasLeader