Sign in to follow this  

Do I need to replace piston/rings?

Hello to all,

I bought an used Gas Gas Wild HP 300 2-cycle a month ago and I'm checking everyting because I don't know how it was used by the previous owner.

A couple of days ago I removed the head in order to check the piston and cylinder. I'm not an expert, so I'd like your opinion about what's the piston looks like. I think it's too new to be replaced. Do you think so?

These are the pictures:

IMAG0989.jpg

IMAG0990.jpg

IMAG0995.jpg

IMAG0992.jpg

Thanks in advance.

would need to check ring end gap and piston to cylinder wall clearance...cant tell a thing from the pics..

would need to check ring end gap and piston to cylinder wall clearance...cant tell a thing from the pics..

+1 on that. Pull the jug and start measuring. Another important factor is how many hours are on that piston vs the recommended replacement interval.

One thing not mentioned here is to clean your powervalve. My suggestion would be to just clean the powervalve, slap a set of rings on and ride the thing. Don't worry too much about what you "should have done".

BUT, this time invest in a compression tester and do a test after the top end is slapped back together. Next time, if you want to check the piston/cylinder, remove the pipe and take a peak inside. From the looks of your pics it doesn't look bad at all. As long as there is no "scuffing grooves" you should be good to go!

The piston top looks like low hours. Either that or you are using a good oil. Also keep in mind that most guys don't rev out a big bore 2T.