Sign in to follow this  

Oversized tank on 06 CRF450R

So I've been doing more 2hr ice races and 2hr hare scrambles than I used to, and am looking to go with a bigger tank. I don't need a monster, but need a bit more capacity. My biggest thing is that I'm hoping to get a tank that does not make the bike FEEL bigger. I don't want the shrouds to stick out more, and I don't want the seat to curve up higher at the front.

My options that I've found:

1. Get a CRF450X tank off Ebay. They can be had fairly cheap ($80ish) and are 2.2 gallons (stock is 1.9). This isn't much bigger but might be all I need. Does anyone know if this tank will fit on an "R" model, and if my stock shrouds will fit?

2. Clarke makes a 2.6gallon tank. I can get new for a bit under $200. This would be plenty big, and I could get clear were the "X" model tank is only black. Not a huge priority but clear would be nice. Again my question would be if the stock shrouds will fit and if it will make the bike feel chubby.

3. IMS also makes a 2.6ish tank, same questions apply.

Of the aftermarkets, are some of much better quality or fit than others?

Realisitcly, if the "X" tank will fit and works with my stock shrouds, I'd probably go that route.

Thanks in advance for any comments!

they all work with stock shrouds.

the OEM(x) one will feel the slimmest because it is the smallest, the bigger you go, the bigger the bike will feel, especially with all of a tanks weight being on top of the bike.

i would go with the X tank.

I am currently using the ims tank. Had a Clarke tank but kept on hitting my groin on the gas cap and got rid of it. The ims is sleeker and holds the same amount of fuel for the long days. Heard of people using oem x tanks. Even heard of putting boiling water in the tank to expand it to hold more fuel.

I used the acerbis tank in black. It is the smallest of the large tanks 2.4g I recall, which is larger than the X tank but smaller that all the rest - a good size. Mine is a 007 and the x tank needed x shrouds. The only downside of the acerbis is that is comes with its own unique cap which is not as good as a honda cap. The tank feels great on the bike and is not too large. Cam

Edited by KXcam22