Sign in to follow this  

DRZ400S Rear Wheel Offset

I'm looking specifically for the rear wheel offset for a DRZ400S (stock 2.15 rim and hub). I'm reading some conflicting answers on the forum. Ideally the swingarm would be symmetrical and centered in the frame that way it'd be easy to set the offset by just centering the rim in the swingarm.

Doing some rough measurements of the swingarm, it is not symmetrical. I measured from the outside rotor disc surface (rotor installed) to the outer most rim edge (by the tire). My reading is 34.5 mm.

I'll be lacing some wheels soon...

Edited by bmwpowere36m3

I get the same measurement. 34.5mm from the outside of the brake rotor to the edge of the rim.

i have a kinda true rear/front. do you want the hub to rim distances, or ?

I get the same measurement. 34.5mm from the outside of the brake rotor to the edge of the rim.

Thanks 👍

i have a kinda true rear/front. do you want the hub to rim distances, or ?

Not sure I follow... I want to confirm my current rear wheel offset with others. I measured from the outside rotor surface (placed a straightedge across the rotor) to the rim edge.

Anyone else confirm? Is the rim supposed to be centered in the swingarm, when measuring at the middle on both sides (picture red arrow)?

Untitled.png

Good luck trying to find reliable info. I gave up & just centered it when I re-spoked recently (Which is how it seemed when I measured it before removing the wheel). I had an unrelated problem which turned out to be the front tire not seating properly causing a strange wobble. I brought the bike to the person who trued the wheels & he checked it by putting a straight edge along the front wheel to the back wheel & saw that they were both aligned. Not sure how accurate that method is but the bike rides fine after I reseated the tire.

Edited by Bedunjgi

Reliable info was provided. Poster just did not want to accept it. Wheel is not centered in the swing arm. It is off-set to the right.

Reliable info was provided. Poster just did not want to accept it. Wheel is not centered in the swing arm. It is off-set to the right.

My asking for additional confirmation, was in no way meant to disregard the information you posted. What I was "hoping" was a few people would all have the same measurement (give or take a couple mm) and that would only confirm the offset measurement.

I also asked on another forum and two users confirmed a measurement of:

• 2.5" from inside of swingarm (left, sprocket side) to rim edge
  • 2.25" from inside of swingarm (right, rotor side) to rim edge

So I take it Noble that your measurement of 34.5 mm is on a wheel set on which the front/rear wheels are aligned to one another (front wheel centered in forks and rear wheel centered to front wheel)?

I have never been very concerned with wheel alignment. The 34.5mm dimension I came up with is from an original wheel, never messed with. I do not know if it is centered on the front. I know that sounds like a strange (flippant) answer but many motorcycles do not have the rear wheel centered on the front. I think as long as you duplicate the original wheel placement you will be fine.

I get 2 1/8" on the right and 2 3/8" on the left (swing arm to rim edge)

I Measured mine and have 2.6875 on left and 2.3125 on the right side .

difference of .375 or 3/8's of an inch .

I noticed a long time ago that the rear wheel didn't appear to be centered in the swing arm but with the handle bars straight and Look from the front wheel to the back wheel it seems to be right in line with with each other .figure that's just the way their made .

Edited by xxcody2gunsxx

Is the swing arm symmetrical? Don't you need to measure from the centerline of the hub to each side of the rim?

No, the swingarm is NOT symmetrical. Theorically yes, however practically difficult. I measured from a fixed point on the hub (outside rotor surface). Its a relative measurement to compare to others.