Sign in to follow this  

13 backfire screen removal

Checking if anyone has done the backfire screen removal. Just wondered if it was worth doing it. Also what air filters are you using after the removal.

I do al mine my 2011 it msde it worth while gave it more snap plus easy to clean the boot

Depending on bike it's a big gain. I have done it on all my bikes for years and use Twin Air filters. Your motor would need to be way off to catch fire these days.

Bikes I have removed backfire screen from: XR250R, XR650L, WR250F, KX450F. No problems with any, and slight throttle improvement in all. I do not use backfire filters, but I do rejet richer to improve performance and cooling. On my KX450F which is EFI, I use a gas tank heat shield to help with overheating during tight woods ridding.

I have removed several screens, I think the 250f benefits more than the 450. I would only use a filter such as no toil or K&N both are flame resistant, to the poster who said you would have to have something wrong for it to happen, not so, if you stall it just at the right time it can backfire and cause a fire. I had a pre wrap on a K&N and had a flame out, the filter pre wrap being nylon ignited and destroyed the filter. use no petroleum oil either, it can and does happen, not often but enough that you could be the lucky one.