Sign in to follow this  

Honda XL600R Problems

Hello,

I just recently made a trade for a 86 xl600r. The bike seems to be in decent shape, and the previous owner said he had it running last summer. Aside from cosmetic issues, and missing/mismatched bolts, I also noticed that when I engage the clutch lever with it in gear it does not roll freely. It seems as though the clutch does not work. I can see the cable functioning, and the lever down on the crankcase cover area moves, as to work the clutch. This is all with the machine off, don't know if that matters.

Also I began tearing down the bike to find and replace any previous shotty repairs, and I noticed that the left carburetor was 1/3 of the way open, even with the throttle closed. I don't know if that is the way it is supposed to be or not. The right carb seemed to function normally.

Any ideas or advice would be greatly apprectiated. I'm sure I'll have many more questions on here as I am not familiar with the bike, or dirtbikes in general.

The clutch bit sounds normal. The twin carb models were a bit of a problem. If it's possible to install the later single carb setup, and I don't know if you can or not, it seems it would be an improvement. I'm sure someone who knows about this will weigh in. Oh, and expect this thread to get moved to the Honda forum.

The left carb slide is always a third of the way up,,It doesn't need to be set that way but that's how they come from Honda..And Yes,,some bikes don't roll around that easily when you simply pull the clutch lever in when the engines cold..Put it in gear first then roll it back and forth against gearbox pressure then pull the clutch in and move the bike or simply put it in neutral and move it..

Edited by Horri

I had the same bike. i took the clutch plates out and let them soak in oil for a while then instale them. the carbs clean, clean clean this machine will run as well as any thing you have ever been on if it is right. but if you think yours is bad I have one it is the clutch basket,plates, pressure plate . the whole basket. let me know if you want it.

Edited by electric outlaw

The clutch bit sounds normal. The twin carb models were a bit of a problem. If it's possible to install the later single carb setup, and I don't know if you can or not, it seems it would be an improvement. I'm sure someone who knows about this will weigh in. Oh, and expect this thread to get moved to the Honda forum.

These twin carbs aren't a problem. Sure you have a bit more to them which adds time to cleaning and maintenance, but when kept in good nick they run great. My bike starts and runs with them just fine for the last two years I delt with the same negative ideals when I put pod filters on my 4 cylinder bike. Everyone said that it will never run right, they had nothing but problems, anyone who tried them ended up putting the air box back on, etc. Once I got mine setup and tuned in it ran better then it did stock. Started quicker, wound out smoother, never gave me grief. I ran them for years in the cold, hot, rain, whatever.

I think people are easily intimidated by complexity. One guy tries working on something, gets defeated, then tells the world that it can't be done. Just because something is a bit more difficult doesn't mean it's impossible to work with.

These twin carbs aren't a problem. Sure you have a bit more to them which adds time to cleaning and maintenance, but when kept in good nick they run great. My bike starts and runs with them just fine for the last two years I delt with the same negative ideals when I put pod filters on my 4 cylinder bike. Everyone said that it will never run right, they had nothing but problems, anyone who tried them ended up putting the air box back on, etc. Once I got mine setup and tuned in it ran better then it did stock. Started quicker, wound out smoother, never gave me grief. I ran them for years in the cold, hot, rain, whatever.

I think people are easily intimidated by complexity. One guy tries working on something, gets defeated, then tells the world that it can't be done. Just because something is a bit more difficult doesn't mean it's impossible to work with.

I don't have much experience with the 600s, I'd just heard that the single carb models were a lot easier to start.

HI, maybe I can help with clutch broblem as i've just had the same sort of thing with my xr600. I had to take the stator cover off because of exciter coil trouble [no spark] when I came to fit the cover back on I noticed the clutch pin was missing [it had fallen out somewhere whilst the case was off] This is about three eights dia and about half inch long, it's the piece that works from the arm to the push rod. The dealer quoted six weeks delivery so I made one from the right dia drill bit, got the length then put it in the lathe and used the dremmel to put a concave in one end to sit on clutch rod. My guess would be that if the arm moves when you pull in the clutch lever that the PO had the cover off and lost his bit as well, could'nt find it and as he was selling the bike just put the cover back on. If that's the case why did he take the cover off in the first place? Hope this helps