Sign in to follow this  

Going to SuperMotard a XR250...

Hello All, I am planning on roadracing my '01 XR250, supermoto style. ( I will prolly fit the bike with CBR wheels, heavier than lace up wheels. but defintely lighter on the pocketbook). The bike is eligible in what is called Heavy Mini class. The series is an endurance series and the races last from two too six hours. My main concern is engine oil temperature. WHat is the optimum operating temperature?

Also have any of you had luck running Synth. oil. I have used it before in my race Hawk, but the clutches slipped. I changed back to Dino oil. I want the extra benefit of Synth. oils keeping things cool.

Also the bike came equipped with a K&N filter in the airbox. Is there a reason why the airbox is always left on the most off-road bikes? They sure are a PITA. I reckon it is to keep dirt clods from beating the hell out of the filter element, shrug. Since I am RR I am thinking of ditching the airbox and installing a filter which fits directly to the carb intake. Sorry for the length and thanks for the help.

Raymond

CMRA #882 #82endurance

RS/RM80

XR100

XR50

and boxes of Hawks and Ducks...

No offense, but this looks like a question for the SuperMoto section. :) See what they are using.

Protecting the air filter, which protects your engine, from as much dirt, and water is the main reason to keep the box. An air filter filters air, but not water!

I asked the question here in the XR section 'cause my main concern is engine temps. Most of the supermoto guys are running water cooled bikes, and they dadgum sure aint't racing little ole 250 size bikes.

Sooo what is the optimum temp for a XR250 engine. Most of you all ride for a couple of hours at a time racing scrambles and just plain riding, I figured y'all would have a handle on engine temps.

Corey, Thanks for the info re: the airbox. Never occured to me it would be to keep water out! I am Used to racing in the rain, but not thru streams.

rtp

A little sarcasm goes a long way. :)

If you look thru the finishing results, they usually listed the bike and size. I would think the 250 is a little small, as I read that the CR450F and the like-sized bikes are being used. Do they have a smaller size class?

A little sarcasm goes a long way. :)

If you look thru the finishing results of a SuperMotard race, they usually listed the Rider and bike size. I would think the 250 is a little small, as I read that the CR450F and the like-sized bikes are being used. Most are water-cooled, but I bet someone out there is on an XR. Do they have a smaller size class for 250's?

First off, I screwed up by listing this topically as "racing SuperMotard"; actually it is road racing... NO Dirt, (unless I screw a corner up and go off track). The class in which I will be racing is called a Heavy Mini Class. Up too 250cc aircooled four strokes, any chassis. and up to 85cc two-stroke any chassis. I have, for the last two years, been racing a RM80 engine in a '93 Honda RS125 chassis, a GP bike. Lotsa fun and the mini class is s'posed to be cheaper, It hasn't been this past season.

I picked up this 250 to ride around the pasture, (and thinking I might try to shoehorn the engine in the GP chassis, all's it takes is money and time), the low end torque is SO COOL that I think it would be fun to ride/race on the track. It will prolly get it's tail end handed to it by the RS80 bikes but what the hey, it's about the fun as much as anything else. If the bike finishes a race I'll be Happy; which my RS80 only finshed one race out of six, this past season. Kept siezing pistons.

Thanks, Raymond

I have heard that an oil cooler from an XR 400 can be mounted to the XR 250 and can be utilized with a vented front number plate, thus significantly improving cooling capability. Should be able to acquire it from somebody's beaten junked out 400 for real cheap.

OIL ? I don't know if you were using a motocycle specific synthetic oil, but I have never had problems with clutch slippage with Dumonde Tech. (A NW US company that makes motorcycle specific oils)It is kinda expensive but it is clear and is very easy to tell about contaminents that entered the oil. This is a nice side benefit. I change it after every race after break in (dino oil). After the first several changes it now remains almost clear even after a 100 mile race.