XR650R Carb on a XR650L

Don't over estimate the other possibilitys; a badly stuck or burnt intake valve

or even cam timing. Check your valve adjustments and ignition timing

What was done prior to this carburetor swap ??

HBLARRY

I found the problem my float bowl was set really low, so it was a fuel issue. I found the manual online, and set the height while blowing through the fuel and volia! Re-installed truned the fuel on, full choke, hit the button. Runs great, took it out for quick 15 miles on the road, worked great from 20-70 mph. Happy to be riding agin.

pdxthumper,

That's great........always makes you feel good curing a little malfunction

like that. Bet it's a little more fun to ride now.

We had my XR650R carb on my son's 650L for awhile and it was a happy motor. Of course then I didn't have a carburetor..........While looking for another I ran across a used Edelbrock 38mm pumper that I had to spend a lot of time rebuilding, replacing missing parts and had to make a throttle cable bracket from scratch. Not that much fun. It was running fine until we took it for a dirt/street ride to Tecate along the border, Julian and then to Pala. It wouldn't idle at all and was backfiring. Constant restarts were killing the battery out in the middle of nowhere.

We beat on it continuously and raised the idle thinking it would clear itself. It didn't.........We took it apart again later at home and my best guess was that the needle was just sticking and starving it for fuel. I polished the float needle jet and the bore (a second time) to what I felt was a really sloppy fit for new parts.

It works perfectly now. So the fuel level is fairly critical for proper idle.

HBLARRY

and the

hi guys, i've read through this thread and i'm going to try the carb swap (i just got one with the stock throttle cable off ebay). it's going on a 94 650l that's uncorked with a slip on and stock engine. i'm at sea level in southern cal but often ride in the nearby mountains that peak around 4000 ft. if i read correctly the current consensus is that 165 main and 65s pilot is the best configuration for this bike?

i like how she looks from the rear :ride:

camino1.jpg

65s, 165, clean it, check the float height, have fun.

i'm still run'n the 65s/160...stock needle raised the max. :ride:

if it has the HRC needle i wud try the center clip position. :lol:

...w/ the cool dense air we have now i'll get a burble or two on closed throttle decellerations but nothing that wud make me bump the pilot.

:ride:

P.S. if u get a stumble at WOT u most likely need to open up the airbox more.

that's what i was thinking. it pops and burbles a lot now with the stock carb, i figure i'd go with the 165 because it stays pretty warm and dry here. if it ends up too rich perhaps i can try drilling out my airbox cover and removing the plates/spark arrestor from my white brothers can. i'd tried taking the plates out before but it ran too lean and the popping on decel was deafening.

i figure i'd go with the 165 because it stays pretty warm and dry here. if it ends up too rich perhaps i can try drilling out my airbox cover and removing the plates/spark arrestor from my white brothers can.

Wouldn't it be easier(and legal) to adjust the jetting instead of removing the spark arrestor?

Wouldn't it be easier(and legal) to adjust the jetting instead of removing the spark arrestor?

i guess i'm not really clear when you're required a usfs spark arrestor. it's illegal to ride on the road without one? i'd love a new/quieter can without the plates because the exhaust coming out the sides is melting my fender and turn signals. i'm really poor though so i was trying to get the carb dialed without buying a complete jet kit. :ride:

that's what i was thinking. it pops and burbles a lot now with the stock carb, i figure i'd go with the 165 because it stays pretty warm and dry here. if it ends up too rich perhaps i can try drilling out my airbox cover and removing the plates/spark arrestor from my white brothers can. i'd tried taking the plates out before but it ran too lean and the popping on decel was deafening.

DSC01781.jpg

DSC01679.jpg

my airbox is already drilled/opened on both sides, FMF header, and run 10-15 disks on the SuperTrapp, sea level, currently ~60F riding temps...

...i can try the 165 but it ain't gunna give u no extra power :ride:

so am i overshooting with the 165? should i be looking at an increment down?

i guess i'm not really clear when you're required a usfs spark arrestor. it's illegal to ride on the road without one? i'd love a new/quieter can without the plates because the exhaust coming out the sides is melting my fender and turn signals. i'm really poor though so i was trying to get the carb dialed without buying a complete jet kit. :ride:

It's not illegal to ride on the rode without a us forestry approved spark arrestor around these parts, I don't know in your area.

so am i overshooting with the 165? should i be looking at an increment down?

:lol:

...u catch on quick!

before i drilled out the airbox it wud run out of air at WOT...that's with the 65s/160 & stock needle(raised max) combo :ride:

Edited by Kenzo
okaaaaa.... :lol:

u have everything under control...i wus mistaken that u had been asking a few questions :ride:

i'm familar with The Glen...i'm a wannbe...here's a pic of me from the 2.9 mile roadcoarse at Texas World Speedway...i wus an advanced/instructor level before i got the crazy idea to open a restaurant :D

TWSWallpaper.jpg

not to change the subject too much but did you name your restaurant KENZO'S that sounds like a great name for it LOL

not to change the subject too much but did you name your restaurant KENZO'S that sounds like a great name for it LOL

naw...i'd post the restaurants name and website but sumone who might take my lighthearted smack talk seriously and decide to give me sum bad reviews...:D

...but the name Kenzo did come from the E36 M3 road racers board...a guy combined Kenny & Bozo :ride: i liked it so much i made it my own :lol:

:D

so back on topic, a 162? or do i really want to go with a 160?

so back on topic, a 162? or do i really want to go with a 160?

...geeze! ...just put the 165 in there and get back to us on where u end up! :ride:

i can already smell the "i told you so's" :ride:

i can already smell the "i told you so's" :ride:

u r one sharp dood! :D

did u read the whole thread? ...start at least page 7 :D

to summerize...xr650r carb & throttle assembly, 65s/160 jets, stock needle raised to highest position, airbox drilled but this may not be required w/ battery in stock position(mine is relocated to airbox)...

...the above works well for me :lol::ride:

i don't have much more to add that's not already in this thread :D

Edited by Kenzo

yeah, i've been told i'm one of the sharper tools in the shed, like a wooden mallet ya know? :ride: