Sign in to follow this  

Purpose of battery on 83 XT250

Sorry if this is a dumb question...I'm new to the dirt bike thing. Just purposed a 1983 XT250 to fix up. Battery is no good. Looking at the schematic, it doesn’t seem to run anything except for the tail light (no turn signals installed). Headlight is wired into the CDI. I charged it up just to test things (it won’t hold charge very long). There is no elec start on this old bike. With Batt charged up and even with the charger running, all it operates is the tail light assy. I doubt the little 6V battery will run the engine (firing) if the CDI were to die, so here’s the question: What is the purpose of the battery and do I really need to spend the $ for a new one?

Edited by bigbucks1234

The battery is there for safety and to smooth out the voltage from the stator. If you don't need lights when the engine is off, replace the battery with a 10000 microfarad / 25v capacitor. It's a common mod for kickers.

If you ride on road, you will probably need the battery as it is often a requirement that the tail light and brake light work if the engine is off (usually for 30 minutes runtime). The battery also greatly helps horn operation.