Sign in to follow this  

When you buy a brand new bike, What are the first things you do to it?

The new CRF250r Is supposed to have wider foot pegs than ever before...I have an hour meter, Never put braces braces on a radiator ever...You guys recommend metal or plastic skid plates? Cycra sells a nice looking black 60 dollar plastic skip plate that looks nice.

For MX, you can probably get by with the plastic one. You're not going to be sliding over any logs or bashing into BIG rocks.

Brand new:

1.JPG

First thing, tear it appart!!!

2.JPG

New racetech springs (front and back)

3.JPG

Tear off the sub-frame and swing arm.... the swing arm needle bearings just fell out because there was NO grease to speak of in there.

4.JPG

New FMF slip on and power bomb header:

5.JPG6.JPG

Then, PROMPTLY, take it out into the woods and crash it into a tree!!!!!!

(Notice the front number plate decal. I bruised a few ribs and sprung a leak in the front brake line within the first 15 minutes on the new bike!!) After that, I wasn't affraid to scratch it!!

7.JPG

I guess I forgot to mention, rad guards, hand guards, JD jetting, flex fuel screw, ROX bar risers, 12/52 gears, etc..

Edited by DrFeelGood
  • Like 1

PSSSHHHHHH, I'd just ride it, but I guess I'm a redneck.....OH, make sure to break it in obviously.

George of the jungle theme music comes to mind as i read that last post.

• Like 1

I'll tell you when i buy a new one, I keep buying used and fix whatever needs to be done. Damn you college and your whorish, money sucking ways!

But in all seriousness, i'd grease everything and check fluids, modify and tune after I ride it to change what i don't like, which is what I do with used bikes anyway.

I've never competed in one but the ones I've seen on TV, it looks pretty nasty. Do you have an idea of what the courses are like? If there's any chance of going over logs, down rocky trails (rocks the size of basket balls or larger), then I'd go with an aluminum one that goes up on the sides a little to protect both sides of the cases. Sometimes, even if it isn't the actual trail you're supposed to be on, sometimes the trail is clogged and you'll try to find an alternative route and BOOM - there are the rocks.

The tool must fit the job. Look at the are(s) you ride regularly, then choose the skid/bash plate to fit your needs. Don't get caught up in mx/pretty boy cosmetics, if going offroad, buy protection that actually helps prevent costly dnfs.

• Like 1

I've never competed in one but the ones I've seen on TV, it looks pretty nasty. Do you have an idea of what the courses are like? If there's any chance of going over logs, down rocky trails (rocks the size of basket balls or larger), then I'd go with an aluminum one that goes up on the sides a little to protect both sides of the cases. Sometimes, even if it isn't the actual trail you're supposed to be on, sometimes the trail is clogged and you'll try to find an alternative route and BOOM - there are the rocks.

Its through woods, creek crossing/up creeks, and through open fields....I'm thinking I could just go metal and for MX I could take it off if I wanted....Not that it'd hurt anything if it was on.

Its through woods, creek crossing/up creeks, and through open fields....I'm thinking I could just go metal and for MX I could take it off if I wanted....Not that it'd hurt anything if it was on.

I think I'll get this one

https://worksconnection.com/details.php?id=801&modyear=&return=--CRF250R

Yea it's more, but I'd rather have it protected for sure than buy the 90 dollar one and have something happen when I coulda spent 40 more. I'm not really to concerned on how it looks, I mean, Yeah to a point, but all parts serve a purpose and some you just have to have. The girls will love ya more if ya have a skid plate and win more than ya having a bike without one and not finishing right? hahahaha just kidding.

Oh, and yea, Since it's 140, and I'm paying for the bike with my work money, and I'll already be broke.....I applied for a sponsorship haha can't hurt right?!

i would rather everything working correct, and greased than cosmetics at first.....I usually start with checking the oil making sure there is no coolant/water in the transmission. then check the wheel bearings to see how good they are, then spokes and sprockets and chains and brakes(i don't replace unless they are needed) and then i basically ride and see how it goes, but of course i ride before i buy, and usually check most of this before i buy as well. Also i don't usually look at linkage or swingarm bearings like some people, i should but i don't. usually it goes that i either buy a cheap bike and expect them to be bad, or buy a really clean bike and trust the guy that kept it clean and greased. Correct me if i am wrong, don't you need to replace the swing arm bearings if you take them apart? i haven't done them yet, and i have only seen people do it, but that has been a while ago, and i thought they just cleaned them if they were still good.

Edited by LukeBrinkerhoff

Based on a 2013 RMZ 450

1. Tear down and send suspension out

2. Grease all parts

3. Install higher bars and SL leavers

4. Graphics

5. Complete EX system

6. Hole shot device

7. Gear it down 1 in the back

8. Hour meter

9. Oversize front brake

10. Bling parts

def have to tear the bike down to a point. its a sad reality that you spend 8k on a brand new bike and have to take it apart to do shit that should be done at the factory. like all said, grease linkage, swingarm. steering stem bushings. the little grease that is on there is crap on top of it. also new wheels have to have their spokes tighten reguarly at first. defintely tighten spoke right off the bat, then after every few hrs. after a few times they stop needing to be tightened all the time, then just check as normal.

now the for the really disturbing part, i bought a brand new crf450r, i took apart my triple clamp and i could spin off BOTH nuts by HAND!!! there is no doubt in my mind that my triple clamps wouldve fell apart very quickly resulting in a very possible fatal accident. after that i went on to check EVERY single fastener on the bike, other were loose as well.

PLEASE GO OVER YOUR BIKE WITH A FINE TOOTH COMB! would hate to see a rider get hurt after getting a new bike. its just a shame that new dirt bikes have been like this for a long time, you wouldve thought they would have taken care of this in quality control by now. good luck and enjoy the ride!

Edited by LiveInTheDirt
  • Like 1

Really does suck....I mean, When they get it from japan and crated, they are just putting together what I'm gonna be tearing apart. Wish they'd let me buy it crated and skip the 300 dollar fee for assembly.