Sign in to follow this  

New Beta 450 RR Racing model

Just got an update from a dealer in NY. Beta has two 450 RR models. One is just a RR450, the other is a RR 450 RACING model. Guess this is new. The RACING model.

He is not my local dealer, but is sure trying to get my business. He knows what I have been looking for. Any of you seen this bike in action in the west? He is also a Gas Gas dealer, so the relationship is already there, as I have talked to him about the Gas Gas and been really nice. I just bought a Gas Gas 450 for dual sport riding, so I decided against the 450 RR at the time. Since I couldn't really race MX with the Beta (like I wanted too), I figured at $9600, it was just to much for a Dual Sport bike. The Gas Gas had 410 miles, looked new , and it was about the price of a 1998 YZ 250 on Craigslist. I couldn't go wrong on this.

This dealer wants my business! He knows what my concerns were with the original Beta 450 RR, so that is why I decided against it. His prices are so good too. He refereed me to some other people in the business, and talked to them about using the 450 RR as a MX bike. He knew that this might be a deal killer, but he wanted me to be satisfied in my purchase.

Seems that it is a good woods bike, but left something on the table when it came to what I want. Suspension and motor would probably be an issue if I wanted something along the lines of my Yamahas. Oh, if I wanted to drop LOTS OF MONEY, it could be done! So I figured that was it, never pursued it much more after the new year started, and figured that was that. He knew what I was looking for and helped me out, although it didn't help him sell the bike in the overall scheme of things. He had no regrets, was sorry this bike wouldn't work for what I wanted, but at the time, he said he would talk to some people, as I guess this wasn't the first time this came up.

I didn't buy any new MX bikes this year. Yamaha's haven't changed at all from 2012, and actually, gotten slower since 2010. So I still have Jack for a new purchase.

My question is: This bike looks like it has an upgrade in suspension. I know that the German stuff is capable but it doesn't cut it for real MX racing, as many have eluded too on here. A local Beta dealer told me the same about a week ago, just not in those words. Anyone know more about this racing model? The turn signal/plate thing is of no concern for me now, as I got a pimped Gas Gas for that. I am really concerned that this is a woods bike, not a pure race bike. I would do mostly MX with it, but intend to race the national harescrambles at Big Sky also.

Some feedback would be appreciated.

Edited by Greg Pennsiltucky Lykens

There is the cross country model which could be considered a "race model". It comes with the 19 rear wheel and an number plate up front. Then there's the other one "factory" that has the goodies that I like. I'm not sure what any other race model would be but if there is something different and new that's cool. i like this second model.. I rather have the 18" rear...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7oJvtdc8FM

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

I looked at the Beta site. They do have a new 450 Racing model listed......

Looks like they just changed the name from factory to racing but you'd just have to compare specs to see.. the racing doesn't have the arrow pipe for one..not that that's that great of a difference.. The stock pipe works excellent.

http://www.americanbeta.com/sites/default/files/pdf/RR4T_Racing_2013.jpg

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

red forks are ugly

I disagree, it's different and fits with the colors of the bike and makes stand out from every other bike, I like the black swing arm but it will look like crap pretty quick

• Like 3

I sure wish that there was a factory edition this year. The racing model looks nice but the only major difference between it and stock is the front suspension. Same motor, same tank. It would have been cool to see the new 3ish gallon tank appear first on this bike! Man were the factory edition bikes nice with upgraded suspension and nearly every goodie possible. Maybe next year. Good woods bike none the less, but so is the stock 450rr!!

• Like 1

Greg, the problem that you have is you are looking for a bike that does two very different things. You can’t have that in any brand. Good woods/endure bike have very plush suspension and a mild power band while the MX version need big bump compliance. Motor wise you can adapt to a “enduro” style power however it will require much more work staying in perfect gear/power/speed. The question I think you are asking is, how does this suspension work? 48mm CC are much better than the OC and Sach forks. Light years above the 45mm even after a revalve. For MX these forks will be very good after a revalve and sprung for your speed and track.

Since the motor is the same as the 450rr, slow powerful motor is not what a MX bike needs. Beta racing has developed different programing and cam for several racers past and present. Can you get these parts?? I bet not but with time and $$ you can get this motor closer to a MXer. Sure there will be some that will tell you these Beta’s do run MX but MX at a competitive level is not what this bike was design to do. Look elsewhere for a MX bike, good suspension and a poor (MX wise) motor won't get you to the podium!

Edited by weantright
  • Like 1

Thanks for the replies guys. I feel confident that I made the right choice with the Gas Gas. I will continue to race the YZs and ride at night with some guys sometimes with the GAS GAS.

@Weantright: thanks for chiming in. I respected your opinion in my other thread. It makes me feel good that I made the right choice on NOT racing MX with the Beta. At least not MX. You know exactly where I am coming from, so I can imagine you have raced MX before and know what I am looking for. You are exactly right about the suspension and motor. Lots of guys in the know told me the same: Lots of $$ to do what I wanted. I just didn't want to go that route....... NOT YET ANYWAY!

I believe the Beta is a superior woods weapon though. Probably better than my one converted YZ, but then again, all my YZs are paid for.

My Gas Gas has unbelievable tractability, and it can craw in 1st gear. A YZ will not do that without slipping the clutch. It cannot crawl at a snails pace on the ice that we have in PA at the moment. The Gas Gas has good stability at slow speeds (under 30MPH) , but I think at faster speeds, it might be different. We are talking trails and offroad, not paved roads. And it has marshmallow suspension when compared to a modern MX bike, for sure.....

No brainer, Beta's are the best looking bike right now....IMO. It's a plus they work so well or is that the other way around ;)

Edited by 262 2stroke

No brainer, Beta's are the best looking bike right now....IMO. It's a plus they work so well or is that the other way around ;)

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Very true! As much as I like the look of the Beta's, I'm all about reliability and function. Example: I could never understand why guys like to get the large desert tanks in anything other than natural.

Very true! As much as I like the look of the Beta's, I'm all about reliability and function. Example: I could never understand why guys like to get the large desert tanks in anything other than natural.

Because they wanted the bike to look good,,, well better atleast and have milage!

My vote goes to the Gas Gas as the best looking bike.

Edited by weantright

Because they wanted the bike to look good,,, well better atleast and have milage!

My vote goes to the Gas Gas as the best looking bike.

I kick myself in the butt every time I hear the word Gas Gas! A few years back, a Gas Gas dealer was up in the mountains doing a demo day with a fleet of them! I chose to just ride my own bike the whole time :(

Drunk on coolaid??

Every chance I get to ride another brand I take it. One time I got stuck on a KTM because my bike was so much faster with him on it I couldn't catch him. He loved my bike and stayed just far enough ahead to not see/hear me trying to get him to stop. Well that was what he told me

Yep, I was thinking the same thing about my bike, right now can't see my fuel level, why would I buy a oversize black tank other than looks.

The guy who bought my first 300 is getting a black tank because, as he puts it, he'll know how much gas is in the tank (on fill up) and how far he can go. I've also ordered a natural tank for me (heh)