carb flooding while ice riding

I start the bike, warm it up and run a few laps. Then it shuts down misteriously like if the ignition was lost. Tip the bike over, empty the carb, kick it over with gas off and WFO. Itt starts right up and is good for a few laps. Running a 175 main and 42 pilot, 2 turns on the mix screw.

I'm suspecting stuck float bowl. First thing I'll do is make sure carb is completly vertical (straight up & down)...not sure what to do else except disassemble...

Suggestions?

Thanks

Stephen

Edited by SVR6

Fuel tank cap's vent system not working and plugged with dirt or ice? Would run for a while but when a vacuum is present in the tank the fuel will no longer drop into the carb! When you tip the bike over you're "resetting" the closed-air system so it'll run OK again until the vacuum resets. Or maybe your coil is on its way out, but my bet is the cap vent.

Edited by Eddie8v

Still had the same problem on Sunday morning. Ran the bike full out in 5th gear. Ran out of gas (not really) and could not get bike restarted. Got stranded on this big lake without snow. Have you ever pushed a bike on glare ice in a stiff breeze. I was having visions of crawling off while tugging the bike along. Looked for snow patches. When I got home, screwed some ice screws to my mx boots. May not be so good when putting that foot out in tuns.... LOL

I'm suspecting the valve vent into the air intake housing - no circlip on vent line. Will check valve clearances. Maybe go back to a 180 main...

Still had the same problem on Sunday morning. Ran the bike full out in 5th gear. Ran out of gas (not really) and could not get bike restarted. Got stranded on this big lake without snow. Have you ever pushed a bike on glare ice in a stiff breeze. I was having visions of crawling off while tugging the bike along. Looked for snow patches. When I got home, screwed some ice screws to my mx boots. May not be so good when putting that foot out in tuns.... LOL

I'm suspecting the valve vent into the air intake housing - no circlip on vent line. Will check valve clearances. Maybe go back to a 180 main...

hahaha - I just finished up rebuilding a customers CR250 that seized on the guys first run across the lake. He had to push back on the ice into a head wind just like you...

I don't think you'll find your problem in valve clearances or jetting.

sounds to me like fuel delivery or something is heat failing.

can you run the bike in some other area where it'll stay dry, like a spin around the block or a 10 min road ride without pissing off any of your neighbors.

• 2 weeks later...

Still have the problem. I'll be running around & the engine will cut out suddenly. Starting to suspect ignition because the end of the sparkplug and the boot has some looseness (wrapped tin foil to improve it). re-adjusted the valves - engine still really hard to start and now down on compression - would be a tooth off on timing do this? May still have a fuel dly problem however the cutting out seems too sudden for fuel starving.

Will have to rejet as the weather warms up. Running a 175 main so down to a 172.

This bike is driving me nuts. Picket up an 03 yz250 which starts within a couple of kicks. I'm not fighting this bike through any more enduros. I can win these things if the bike behaves...

yes the spark plug suggestion is a good one. I'll try it out this weekend after confirming that my timing is right (I suspect that since compression is low all of a sudden). My mechanic (Tom Zont (racing) suggested that I find another harness to see if that cures the problem.