Sign in to follow this  

just got an 08crf450r what can i expect?

Well as it says I recently traded my 07rmz250 for this 08 crf450r with 77.5 hrs on the hr meter. It has supposedly been on there since new but after all it is craigslist. The clutch cover only shows slight boot rub so it could be true and the hr meter is not a resettable kind. But my main concern deal with reliabilityy. I an not trying to beat a dead horse here I know the valve issue comes up quite a bit but I'm more so wanting to hear what kind of hour ranges y'all have seen from these bike.I am def a back pack D rider and will never see the Rev limited and neither did the previous owner but is there anything I should replace? Keep an eye on? The owner said he just checked the valves and they were all in spec and he seemed like a fairly respectable guy but anything that is getting near service interval? Keep in mind I am not a racer and do not need top ends every 20 hrs. I always change my oil and filter and clean the air filter every ride so I'm good about service? Can these bikes be reliable? How many hours have y'all gotten from your later model crf450s?

Id like to keep the honda as I like the design and their engineering especially with the seperate oils and unicam design as I'm all about simplicity and it seems if service is reached less has.to be replaced meaning less money. But I definitely don't want to be dumping hundreds into this thing every 30 hrs. It starts easily and runs smooth has good power and handles nicely. Also any service that needs to be done can be done by myself and and a friend but as I said I don't want to be fixing more than riding?

My 08 has 150+ hours of mx on it, and it's never need to be re-shimmed. Don't worry about the valves until the bike gets difficult to start when hot.

Edited by CamP

Yeah I generally go by the hard to start warning, but just didn't know if there was any other problems or what not. I'm all about preventative maintenance. Anyone have a ball park range what its cost to rebuild a heading course doing it the right way

Edited by Paczowski123

I have 42 hours on my 2007 crf450 and am getting ready to rebuild the engine for the first time. I race MX and ride pretty hard so the 40 hour mark is best for me just to be sure. The total rebuild will be right at $1,000 and I do all the work myself. You will ask how do you only have 40 hours on a 2007 model? Because I bought it new in the crate 18 months ago. All smiles

I have 42 hours on my 2007 crf450 and am getting ready to rebuild the engine for the first time. I race MX and ride pretty hard so the 40 hour mark is best for me just to be sure. The total rebuild will be right at $1,000 and I do all the work myself. You will ask how do you only have 40 hours on a 2007 model? Because I bought it new in the crate 18 months ago. All smiles

40 hours is way too soon for a CRF450 unless you are a national level pro mx'er. I'm a vet A mx'er and my bike has 150 hours on it. The valves have never moved and the engine doesn't burn a drop of oil. It's now time to inspect the top end.

I normally get new racebikes every 2 years, but my 08 stayed around for 5, and the person who got it has a Great bike still for another 5 years if he keeps it up good. I kept demo ing the newer bikes and couldn't feel any advantage to any of them over the awesome last carb year 08. Until the 13. I have to disagree with Shawn on that last post, 13 has put the 08 behind. Really won't know if it is good for 5 years or not , I think that's expecting a lot, but can honestly say I don't think I'll be missing my 08 anytime soon.

Edited by susco64