Acerbis 5.8

I did quite a bit of searching as I was waiting for my tank to arrive and I found many many people saying many different things about the installation of this tank. Most people had just spread rumors about how difficult it was to install. These were anything from....

you need 6 different people to help you spread the tank to get it on

you have to cut the old tank mounting pins off

you have to add boiling hot water to the tank to get it on... and so on

Now for a bit of truth, this tank is pretty easy to install.

You do not need six people, boiling water nor do you have to cut anything off.

The only problem I ran into on the xr650l was having to trim the rectifier fins a bit. Aside from that the install is pretty strait forward, I will attach some pictures that may help the next guy.

Edited by DefiantMenace

Here is what I had to do to the rectifier, if you do not trim the fins on the rectifier the tank sits right on it. I rode it like that for a day, but being in Arizona i was concerned about the possibility of the tank melting. Also going down the road the tank vibrates a lot, I was concerned about the vibration eventually wearing a hole in the tank.

I had read that some people mounted the rectifier in the air box or further down the frame,trimming the rectifier fins seemed to me the easiest method. The tank no longer hits the rectifier, it took less than 5 minutes with a hack saw, I then smoothed the fins out with a dremel as they were pretty sharp.

20130316_133245.jpg

Edited by DefiantMenace

Also there are a couple videos online that are very helpful, however in the videos the guy puts the mount for the tank on the bolt that is farthest back. I could not get it to sit correctly in that position. The directions were kinda hard to decipher to me, however after pulling the tank off 5 or 6 times i moved it forward and it fit perfectly.

I also added a couple pieces of 5/8 heater hose to the mount, after a day of riding the acerbis mount on its own(without the added heater hose) had already wore the tank a bit.

20130316_120831.jpg

Edited by DefiantMenace

If you have bought this tank or are buying and have any questions I am happy to help, it really is an easy tank to install. The hardest part was driving to harbor freight to get a hacksaw because I misplaced mine lol

Also About the 10th time I pulled the tank off I discovered spraying the rubber mounts for the old tank with a bit of chain lube made it slip on even easier.

All in all its easy to install and a really nice tank, I am very happy with it

Edited by DefiantMenace
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I never messed with the fins on the rectifier and i live in Phoenix. Works great! I did use ratcheting straps to pull it on. It did not want to slip down.

I rode with it for a day before I trimmed the fins and just in that day there was already wear where the fins were touching the tank. Perhaps the tank would or will wear to a point and then stop. I just wasn't going to take a chance,especially when trimming the fins a bit was so easy.

Its funny that the manufacturer of this tank doesn't modify their tank design so that people would not have to grind off the rectifier fins. Good write up !!!!

I agree this tank is good, however with just a little tweaking of the mold it could really be excellent. In any case I love not having to watch my fuel anymore, I think its the best thing I have done to the bike so far! The acerbis locking gas cap is pretty nice too.