Sign in to follow this  

How can I soften front brake?

Hey guys. I baught an 08 crf450. The pads look pretty new front and back fluid is nice and clean at the upper limit mark. I put ASV c4 levers on it. My front brake is way to touchy. It is either off or on. There's no feel to it. Can I take a little fluid out to tone it down a bit or do I just have to wait for them to break in?

Dont take fluid out. It shd always be topped off. U shd be able to adjust the lever and get more slack. Modulation is pretty unadjustable, but a bit of heat during a ride shd make them fade and "softer" or "spongy". When ur pads fade, it will be softer as well

but the bike on a stand and see if the front tire spins easily. if the front brake drags hard then you have a problem. I would just get used to it. Touchy brakes are nice.

but the bike on a stand and see if the front tire spins easily. if the front brake drags hard then you have a problem. I would just get used to it. Touchy brakes are nice.

Agree on the touchy brakes being nice. I like that and wd rather compensate for that than deal with soft and mushy

You might want to consider some organic brake pads as these have less 'bite' than sintered or metallic pads.

Make sure the plunger on the lever is lubed. if they stick they'll cause you to apply more pressure at the lever than you actually want, then the thing snaps past the sticking point and effectively slams on the brake.

Was it always like this or did it get more touchy at some point?

I've noticed that many times after a small crash when the bars get kind of upside down the brake gets a kind of "pumped" feel to it and is really touchy.

When this happens I take the cap off, compress the pistons back into the caliper by pushing on it with a hammer handle or the heel of my hand, pump the lever back up, and then put the cap back on.

This seems to eliminate any air or vacuum lock that may be in the fluid and gets it back to normal. Try it. It might help a bit. Be sure your master cylinder reservoir is level before you colapse the caliper or fluid will overflow.

Was it always like this or did it get more touchy at some point?

I've noticed that many times after a small crash when the bars get kind of upside down the brake gets a kind of "pumped" feel to it and is really touchy.

When this happens I take the cap off, compress the pistons back into the caliper by pushing on it with a hammer handle or the heel of my hand, pump the lever back up, and then put the cap back on.

This seems to eliminate any air or vacuum lock that may be in the fluid and gets it back to normal. Try it. It might help a bit. Be sure your master cylinder reservoir is level before you colapse the caliper or fluid will overflow.

Good advice

Just be careful to compress the piston slowly or u can blow the seals in the caliper

FGR I did have a pretty good get off before I noticed they where really bad. I'll try what you said. If that doesn't work I'll try the WD40

You realize that spraying WD40 is putting oil on your brakes. When I was a kid I cleaned some brake shoes in WD40, made then nice and shiny, and eliminated all possibility of them stopping anything. I had to buy new shoes. Brake pads are different material but are still porous and can absorb stuff. There must be something wrong as hondas have excellent progressive brakes. Cam.

The only way would be a smaller master cylinder bore.

I hear a lot of people like to put a brembo master on the Honda.

The master cylinders are avaliable in different sizes.

So buy a brembo for something with a few mm smaller master.

It will actually increace the lever travel giving more feel.

There will be a gain in mechanical advantage which actually will make the brake stronger.

Overall the size of the useable sweet spot will increace giving you what you want.

You don't want to go too far undersizing thr master or your lever will contact the bar before much brake force is applied.

Oiling your rotor is a terrible idea.

So is running low on brake fluid.

Darwin award canidates.....

Edited by englertracing

You realize that spraying WD40 is putting oil on your brakes. When I was a kid I cleaned some brake shoes in WD40, made then nice and shiny, and eliminated all possibility of them stopping anything. I had to buy new shoes. Brake pads are different material but are still porous and can absorb stuff. There must be something wrong as hondas have excellent progressive brakes. Cam.

I have a feeling it was sarcasm, considering the "works every time".

I have a feeling it was sarcasm, considering the "works every time".

Yeah I hope he was kidding. But that's dangerous advice I can see the 12 year olds out in the garrage with kx85 like "yeah gonna fix this dirty endoing no good biety front brake >:]" as he blasts wd40 all over hub brake caliper and pads.

:devil: Don't give those kids any ideas.

I picture a gang of punks sneaking around the pits, on April Fools Day, and spraying WD on all us old guys rotors right before our Senior moto, and standing on the sidelines laughing their little asses off.