Girl friend wants a bike HELP!

Ok so my girl friend wants to get a street bike so we can go riding together with her father. I've had dirt bikes for years and have a street bike that's been out of commission for a while now. She doesn't have much experience but I have a lot patience and and planning on taking it really slow with her I just have no idea what bike I should be looking at for her? Her dad is in her ear telling her a 250 is too small but I think it would be perfect. She's around 5'7" 120lbs. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.

That's the bike I want to see her riding but I don't think I will be able to talk her on to one. Her dad is a big bike guy, has a handful of nice bikes and is telling her a 250 is too small. But I think a 250 is a great first bike and they seem to hold their value well.

Then her dad isn't a true rider no offense. Its not the height of the person that chooses the ride.. its the skill level.. you gotta crawl before you walk.. she needs to learn the basics on something that will forgive her mistakes more easily.. throw her on a 600 700 orr 1100 and you'll be visiting her in the hospital.. plus those bikes are heavy.. rebels are kinda heavy, do your loved one a favor and ignore her father... hell thank you when his daughters not dead.. it may take some time but shell be riding big bikes eventually

I can see both sides arguement. Having owned a Rebel 250 for my fiance' to learn on, it became apparent to me that after she learned to ride it and developed skills then, after that, I really didn't want her on it.

Look for a used one for around $1500 to $1800. They sell fast and you may lose a $100 or make a little when y'all decide to sell it. It is a stepping stone...that's it.

Her dad needs to realize that it's not him riding it, it's his daughter. A girl, with no experience on a motorcycle. Tell her that she needs to learn on something small, and forgiving. Tell her she can step up after a few months on the 250. I would'nt let my gf get a big bike for her first one, hellll no

If it were me I'd put her on a 250 for 2 riding seasons.. for me in mich its april to October. If you go out and make it a point to ride she can put some serious miles on it and then shell deff be begging for a bigger bike.. once she's roarin around on it and know how to ride that's the time to upgrade

Her dad is a few slices short of a loaf, at least on this one. You can ALWAYS trade up as soon as a person is comfortable, capable and has gained enough street awareness.

However, if you just can't get her on a rebel 250, Honda made a Rebel 450 as well. Little bigger, little faster, but still pretty mild. Might be a good compromise.

Ok so my girl friend wants to get a street bike so we can go riding together with her father. I've had dirt bikes for years and have a street bike that's been out of commission for a while now. She doesn't have much experience but I have a lot patience and and planning on taking it really slow with her I just have no idea what bike I should be looking at for her? Her dad is in her ear telling her a 250 is too small but I think it would be perfect. She's around 5'7" 120lbs. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.

No offense but her dad is a moron. Any beginner, especially a women, NEEDS to start on a 250cc. The Ninja 250 is the percect starter bike. Light, easy to contol, and enough power to get around. PLEASE make sure she has all gear for riding. Pants, leather jacket, riding boots, everything. It would also be beneficial for her to goto a motorcycle training course. Everyone goes down sooner or later. Hopefully it's later.

Many great posts here, but if it was my girlfriend, I would get her on a dirtbike for a while before even thinking of letting her on the road/ or you could combine her learning with a roadbike and dirt bike or access to one. No place better to get the skills than the dirt.

• Like 3

Many great posts here, but if it was my girlfriend, I would get her on a dirtbike for a while before even thinking of letting her on the road/ or you could combine her learning with a roadbike and dirt bike or access to one. No place better to get the skills than the dirt.

In the case of doing this, a CRF250L or a WR250 would be a good choice.

If you look at the MSF course the bikes they use are all 250s just because they are light. But when my daughter was learning we rejected the 250 rebel because the low speed handling was harsh - likes to tip in. Both Kawasaki and Yamaha make 250cc enduros. Those would be good. There are some 400 - 650cc cruiser types that aren't too powerful. But the idea of trading up later is the better one. It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

I got a better one.... Years ago, I got my wife a Yamaha TW200 dual sport... We putted in the woods, but she was afraid in traffic using the clutch. I sold it and a year later I got her a VESPA scooter. Twist and go... a lot less "thinking" for the beginner. She wasn't afraid in traffic. I planned our routes carefully as to not overwhelm her while she built confidence in herself and became one with the machine. After a season of doing that I downloaded the Alternate MOST course off the web and painted lines on the quiet sidestreet we live on. She spent a month doing low speed turns and weaving thru cones. Off we went to DMV and the examiner complimneted her on how well she did. A month later we rode in Barb's Harley Davidson Armed Forces Freedom Ride that went up 295, thru Mt Holly and down the runway at McGuire AFB. 375 Harleys, 23 miscelaneous street bikes, 1 dual sport, and one Vespa LXV 150 scooter.....

Her 150cc does 65.. They make them in 300 ccs that do 85.... Go to modern Vespa . com to read the fourms...

either way. its pretty cool to have your wife ride with you.... and even cooler if you're the one who teaches her...

Good Luck

FAK

I've been looking into getting her a dirt bike. I have 2 and ride regularly but they are too big for her. I had her on my pitbike and se didn't seem comfortable. I don't know if it was the clutch or the sound ( it's pretty loud). I know she had a bad crash on a dirtbike a few year ago so I with thinking about getting her a crf150 or some other small trail bike to get back into it. I don't want her on the road until she has her confidence back.