What type of ball hone do I need?

It's an '08 450f. What type of ball hone do I need?

none at all.

Why not? Can anyone else chime in? I've never heard of a cylinder that doesn't need cross hatching with a new top end.

They really don't need it, and you introduce more filings and rough edges for no reason doing so. Don't hone, dry assemble and it will run better than ever. Done it hundreds of times on cars, bikes, industrial engines, you name it.

Brush Research makes the best ones (the page linked above is selling BR "Flex Hones"). Use an aluminum oxide hone. The hone needs to be slightly larger than the desired bore size, but BR hones are sized according to the bore they will finish, so the right size for yours is the 3 3/4" (95mm) unit.



For $43 I'll just use the ones here at school.

Would there be any harm if I use the wrong type of ball hone?

Yes. If you use too hard an abrasive, too large a hone, or too coarse a grit, you may damage the Nikasil plating. If you can spend $43 on the right hone, just skip the whole thing and clean it up with Scotch Brite and hope for the best.

Gray, I've always used emory cloth on the cylinders, but of course that is when there is still cross-hatch visible. Whats your opinion on that?

What grit should I use?

Scotch brite

What grit should I use?

Aluminum oxide, 320 grit. Read the post linked in my original response.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now